Question Good first rebreather for non-cave diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best advice is to get hold of an instructor that teaches a few units (JJ rEvo xccr (probably too heavy) and get some try dives in, even if you spent a few hundred on try dives with a decent instructor it will save you massively compared to buying a unit getting the cert and then falling out of love with it,
Next you need to consider how easy it is to travel with (contrary to a recent discussion I had on here I can assure you a JJ for instance can go on a flight in a mixture of hand and hold luggage and isn’t terrifically heavy , cylinders you obviously arrange at destination)
Finally you must look at 2 reality aspects, how reliable is the machine (AP heads for instance are forever suffering return to manufacturer issues, one of my friends kneels so firmly at their alter he won’t have a bad word said against them,,, he owns 2 heads though 🤷‍♂️)
And where will it go for and how much is servicing?? liberty,, 😱,

Ps Poseidon ccr , mares horizon, and some others that are no longer made I’m not even going to go there…

Concerning the Mares Horizon : 2 years ago, it was all the rage in France. Could see one in every dive shop, several dive centers offered training on it, even places which previously had no interest in rebreathers what so ever. Nowadays, this rig is absolutely nowhere to be seen and support from the manufacturer has been stopped.

Unless it's very different in Australia, I wouldn't care much for that rig.

That's pretty drastic, why is that? Why did it disappear?

Ps Poseidon ccr , mares horizon, and some others that are no longer made I’m not even going to go there…

Are you saying that the Poseidon SE7EN+ is no longer made?

The best advice is to get hold of an instructor that teaches a few units (JJ rEvo xccr (probably too heavy) and get some try dives in, even if you spent a few hundred on try dives with a decent instructor it will save you massively compared to buying a unit getting the cert and then falling out of love with it,
Next you need to consider how easy it is to travel with (contrary to a recent discussion I had on here I can assure you a JJ for instance can go on a flight in a mixture of hand and hold luggage and isn’t terrifically heavy , cylinders you obviously arrange at destination)
Finally you must look at 2 reality aspects, how reliable is the machine (AP heads for instance are forever suffering return to manufacturer issues, one of my friends kneels so firmly at their alter he won’t have a bad word said against them,,, he owns 2 heads though 🤷‍♂️)
And where will it go for and how much is servicing?? liberty,, 😱,

Sorry folks, my last sentence I mean Poseidon and horizon and thankfully all the stuff that is no longer made

That's pretty drastic, why is that? Why did it disappear?

Well, I can't give you any real details about it. I fear the specifications of the Mares Horizon wasn't aimed at the right target (on the French market at least). No truly a Tek rig, too much of a bother for rec diving. Covid lock down didn't help either.

Fear Mares thought to make big bucks easily with that rig, but as they didn't, they ended up the adventure.

Well, I can't give you any real details about it. I fear the specifications of the Mares Horizon wasn't aimed at the right target (on the French market at least). No truly a Tek rig, too much of a bother for rec diving. Covid lock down didn't help either.

Fear Mares thought to make big bucks easily with that rig, but as they didn't, they ended up the adventure.
It is not the best product from the business viewpoint. What problem does it solve that other breathing systems do not and who has this problem, i.e., how big is the market?

It is not the best product from the business viewpoint. What problem does it solve that other breathing systems do not and who has this problem, i.e., how big is the market?
SCR technology is basically a Panda.

One thing to remember when saying that you want a rebreather that is travel friendly - going to and from the U.S. means that you are on the piece system baggage allowance - which means that you have a very generous baggage allowance anyway, and if you have frequent flyer status with an airline then you will have an even bigger baggage allowance still

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom