Recommendation on tech progression

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having ANDP will help prepare you for CCR training. Not having it will almost certainly result in the more restricted pass, e.g. 30m/100ft.
I bought a rebreather last year (JJ-CCR) and did training with IANTD. I did not have formal tech training nor on using stages except for a workshop or two and some diving I did on my own. Knowing what I know now, I must conclude that having some formal training on how to handle stages helps a lot. Knowing how to handle stages blind folded flattens the learning curve. Learning to a ccr is complex, anything makes it easier is very welcome.

Although I did struggle more than my training buddy (full trimix instructor), I managed and learned how to deal with the complexity of ccr diving. I'am now normoxic certified, planning on full trimix and cave (cavern first, then full cave) in the coming two years. So it can be done with just AOW (and GUE Fundamentals Tech).

My advice is: take your time and do the AN/DP. It will help you whatever you're going to do next.

Altough I believe ART or AN/DP would be a good prerequisite I'm not nearly experienced enough for that to carry much value. What I do believe is a nice piece of information is that with at least TDI, I'll get (passing the course that is!) a cooler "CCR Start card" to 45 minutes, Deco and Trimix diluent due to previous cards. I'd hate beeing limited to 30m on a RB (as in, that would make MOD2 training urgent)

There are people here who were deco certified before going CCR and still spent a year or so doing shallower dives building up experience before going deeper.

I’m limited to 100ft on my CCR and I’m OK with that. I’m enjoying building up hours. I went CCR last year when I did due to a lack of helium to finish OC AN/DP/Helitrox. I am very narked at 130ft/40m, so helium is a necessity for me. Doing AN/DP on air would be dangerous for me. Hope to do Helitrox next year.

My mod1 is 130 with trimix and deco allowed. Had I not already had AN/DP it would be 100 no trimix no deco.

Having had some knowledge already of 1.6 vs 1.4 deco planning, switching to richer blends also did help me with the class.

There are people here who were deco certified before going CCR and still spent a year or so doing shallower dives building up experience before going deeper.

I’m limited to 100ft on my CCR and I’m OK with that. I’m enjoying building up hours. I went CCR last year when I did due to a lack of helium to finish OC AN/DP/Helitrox. I am very narked at 130ft/40m, so helium is a necessity for me. Doing AN/DP on air would be dangerous for me. Hope to do Helitrox next year.

I'm doing that though it won't be a year I'm almost ready by my standards to do deco on my unit.

OP realize CCR is very different in bounancy control. Despite being told this I was still shocked in the difference. I went from excellent to horrible just by strapping on that unit. So if you do take OC tech first don't expect to be just strapping on the unit and start doing deep deco dives. It will take some time to adjust to the differences.

I'd done AN/DP/Helitrox before I switched to CCR. I found it very useful to have covered a lot of the theory prior to MOD1. It was also good to have done quite a few deco dives prior to the switch, just to make sure I was comfortable hanging around at 6m for 30 minutes or so. My comfort level in the water was also much improved by that point, which is handy because the first couple of days of MOD1 will task load you.

Even though I had a 45m/helitrox ticket through MOD1, I still spent most of the first year at less than 30m with no deco. I found the shallower dives helped me improve my CCR buoyancy skills much more than being at depth. By the time I did MOD2 at the begining of this year, I felt comfortable diving the unit, so could concentrate on learning the skills required. Made MOD2 a fun experience.

OP realize CCR is very different in bounancy control. Despite being told this I was still shocked in the difference. I went from excellent to horrible just by strapping on that unit. So if you do take OC tech first don't expect to be just strapping on the unit and start doing deep deco dives. It will take some time to adjust to the differences.
Yep, after 60+ hours on the loop still not as comfortable and precise with my JJ as with doubles. I doubt if I ever will be as comfortable as with OC. OC is way easier in the shallows. CCR is easy in the deep.

Do full cave on OC. I think AN/DP should be done in the ocean if you're diving in Florida, mostly because SE Florida with the currents can be a wicked beast and if you have any interest in diving there it's best to be prepared. If you have zero OW interest, you can do "Cave Deco" at the same time as full cave.

I think I'm relatively conservative.. I plan to push my training, but keep my personal dives well short of the limit of my abilities.

Good point on ocean training for AN/DP, I think I'll look into that more.

Now if I am ready for CCR now, do you think I'm missing anything by skipping OC AN/DP and going straight to rebreather?
IMO I think you're missing quite a bit by skipping an/dp on OC, if anything it's the time and experience doing those dives before you get into a rebreather. Any good CCR instructor is going to make you do a ton of ascents/gas switches on OC during a rebreather course but this isn't a course that you'd "repeat" once on a rebreather. Best to do that sooner rather than later IMO on OC

Welp, sounds like the consensus is stick to OC first. I guess I'll go look around for extra tanks.

Thanks for the advices, all!

Welp, sounds like the consensus is stick to OC first. I guess I'll go look around for extra tanks.
Extra tanks?

You’ll need them for cave and CCR anyway. For ANDP you only need one extra, two if you want a choice of an ali80 and a smaller 7 litre aluminium cylinder

A move to CCR results in the purchase of many more cylinders. Excluding banking cylinders for which I use three steel twinsets (containing oxygen, air and helium), I’ve three sets of oxygen+diluent cylinders, 2 ali80s for deeper bailout, 2 ali7s for intermediate bailout and another ali7 for shallow bailout.

Technical diving by definition results in a vast collection of cylinders. Not to mention multiple regulator sets (think I’ve at least 10 sets), 3 dry suits, various harness+wing combinations, and only one rebreather. Add to that umpteen training courses and the cost of travelling and booking trips, plus the extraordinary amount of time it takes.

Technical diving is not cheap. $£€ thousands and thousands. Actually tens of thousands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom