Cave Diving With Rebreathers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HybridDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello im new to the rebreather system setup looks pretty hardcore just wondering could you cave dive with them like The Cave they had hardcore setups? and whats a really good rebreather out there that will let you go deep plus stay under for awhile?

yeah, i've seen quite a few guys with rebreathers diving caves

i think the first (or second?) Wakulla project used pretty much all rebreathers

as to specific data, can't help you there, but i'm sure others will

thank you maybe going to get one some day lil pricy but eh its all good for future project

ChrisCrash:
Hello im new to the rebreather system setup looks pretty hardcore just wondering could you cave dive with them like The Cave they had hardcore setups? and whats a really good rebreather out there that will let you go deep plus stay under for awhile?

Absolutely. I can't remember where it was, but somebody a long time ago (relatively), back in the Exley era (it may have been him) developed one especially for cave survey. Allowed him to stay underwater for something like 24 hours.

I'll see if i can dig up the info on it (although its probably outdated by now)

I'm not a rebreather diver, but the only problem i see with it is if you had to bail out inside a cave. But i guess that's ALWAYS a consideration, OC or CC

Just don't use Diverite scooters in caves. They explode if you hit something.

Hey Chris if you want to immurse yourself into the RB world and learn more about them, check out www.rebreatherworld.com

you can see the different units available, talk to people who dive them regularly, and just educate yourself in every aspect regarding RBs

one more thing in the cave they were talking to each other from underwater with out a full face one? *** how do you do that i been trying info is it a feature on a rebreather or was i going crazy in the movie cause of the diving

ChrisCrash:
one more thing in the cave they were talking to each other from underwater with out a full face one? *** how do you do that i been trying info is it a feature on a rebreather or was i going crazy in the movie cause of the diving

That piece requires some suspension of disbelief....solely added to keep the movie flowing. Can you imagine an audience watching several minutes of hand signals?

Hi Chris,

rebreathers have been used in caves for quite a while, largely because they were available long before open circuit gear designed by Gagnan and Cousteau. Britain's first cave dive was at Wookey Hole in 1935, more than a decade before one could buy an Aqualung. That cave is still dived with rebreathers, John Volanthen and Rick Stanton set a new British depth record there in 2004, more than a mile into the cave and 245 feet deep. They were using sidemounted 'homebuild' rebreathers, squeezing through a tight spot that stopped Rob Palmer almost 20 years ago. And have pushed further since.

In the 80s Rob Palmer used Carmellan CCRs (modified Biomarine units) during his exploration of the Andros Blue Hole in the Bahamas.

The U.S. Deep Caving Team under Bill Stone used the mighty Cis-Lunar CCRs for their Wakulla explorations.

Since then the Wakulla Karst Plains Project has been using semi-closed circuit Halcyon/Brownies PVR-BASC and Halcyon RB80 rebreathers. The latter are also used by their Eurpean brethren, the European Karst Plains Project. Among them are many record setting push dives exploring the deepest and longest cave systems in the world.

For most part either RMV keyed SCR like the Halcyon are used for caving, or electronic CCRs like the Cis-Lunar. Aside from the DIR crowd which uses the Haclyon, various like units are build and popular in Europe. Here in the US you're more likely to find Inspirations, PRISMs, Megalodons or the new O2ptima. Especially the Meg has been embraced by FL cavers due to its strong build quality (the housing is made from heavy duty aluminum). Although most all rebreathers have found their way into one cave or another, from converted Dolphins to retired MK15s. There are several cave CCR instructors, most in FL, but also Mexico and the UK.

The main advantage and reason for their use is the extended range they allow due to their much lower gas consumption. Many of the deep exploration would simply be impossible from a gas supply and logistic standpoint. For bailout, either dual rebreathers, bailout rebreathers and/or OC gas supply are used, depending on the group or individual that does the diving.

Back
Top Bottom