Question Good first rebreather for non-cave diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah the allowance is very nice for those international flights and I am a frequent flyer through delta (1 return flight halfway around the world does that lol). Domestic flight baggage limits are not very good in Australia in my experience. The triton is a bit interesting as a carryon option, so is the chop, but Idk where servicing is possible for either in Australia (triton has a place in Bali i believe). Backmount is the standard in marine science though I would imagine, however just having any rebreather experience would still look good on an application so I'm not sure just yet on style.
I just don't see a chestmount as being suitable for most scientific work - certainly wouldn't work for the project that I am involved with. CM is a different type of rebreather that is suitable for some things, not others.

Domestic flight baggage limits aren't great unless you have Gold or higher with Qantas (or AA so link with Qantas)

I just don't see a chestmount as being suitable for most scientific work - certainly wouldn't work for the project that I am involved with. CM is a different type of rebreather that is suitable for some things, not others.

Domestic flight baggage limits aren't great unless you have Gold or higher with Qantas (or AA so link with Qantas)
I’m not a CM fan but feel it would be disingenuous of me not to advocate at least trying one before you decide on a unit

I imagine having ccr experience would look pretty nice, and I do tech dive and would still use it for that in the future if not for work.
It would certainly help! The technical scientific diving community is pretty small, so being trained up and ready to go when projects come up would be great.

Second that - trying to find trimix CCR qualified archaeologists isn't easy!
I don't know about Archaeologists, but stateside a lot scientific divers go for AP EXPs.

Back
Top Bottom