Can I purchase any regulator and adapt it for use with my Brownies Third Lung?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geekedup

Registered
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I have an old (very old) Brownies Third Lung I've used for years (and years and years)... you get the idea . :)

Anyway, 2 of the regulators were leaking a little water last time we used it so I figured I'd take them in to get serviced/rebuilt.

The guy at the dive shop laughed when he saw them.. they're that old apparently (Dacor).

He quoted me $199 a piece for new regulators (I need 3). My quote went from a $130 rebuild to $600+ in new regulators in 3.1 seconds!!! :)

My question...

Can I buy a basic ScubaPro regulator like this :

Scubapro R095 Octopus Safe 2nd Stage Scuba Regulator Octo with 36" Hose | eBay

and use it with my brownies? it's half the price of a Brownies regulator and I like the idea of having ScubaPro's.

If it's not worth the time/hassle, I guess I can just pick up 3 new Brownies regs..

Thanks in advance for your help.

I would buy new regulators, but I don't believe standard scuba regulators will work on a hookah without modification. They require a higher pressure to open the valve to allow air through. You can however buy standard scuba regulators and have a competent dive shop convert them for hookah use. This would likely require replacement of springs, etc. so the lower pressure delivered by the compressor can open the valve and thus you take a breath.

This is my understanding of how it works. Btw, you can find second stages for pretty cheap. I think Dive Rite has one that is commonly found on the net for ~$50.

You use just the second stage that is set for about 110 to 120 psi. The high pressure is all done buy the first stage and not used on the hookah. If the compressor is set correctly the only modification needed is the fitting on the hose that goes to the 2nd stage. Just take the leaking regulator apart check the rubber parts for leaks and reassemble. The settings are easy to set if you understand what happens with the operation of the second stage.

Thanks for the feedback , folks

runsongas, that would be awesome if i can just swap out the 2nd stages i have now for those

---------- Post added November 13th, 2015 at 06:15 PM ----------

runsongas, i ordered 2 of those regs.... i'll let you know how it goes.. very optimistic right now

The rg3 is the reg I was referring to. Again, I'm no expert on hookah's, but they state on Brownies website that a standard scuba reg won't work. FAQ: Is My Scuba Regulator Compatible With My Hookah Diving System? |

Perhaps you could increase the pressure on the compressor, but then you're putting more stress on the compressor and increase the chances of a premature failure. Anyone who owns a compressor knows the more workload you put on it the more often they fail.

As far as the working pressures are concerned here's a decent read on it.

https://keeneeng.com/pamphlets/introHooka.html

There are two types of diving regulators, those designed for SCUBA use and those designed for Hookah applications. A SCUBA regulator is designed for use with SCUBA an air tank, and delivers maximum efficiency when operated at a pressure exceeding 100 p.s.i. They require a "first stage" valve assembly, attached to the SCUBA tank. The function of the first stage is to reduce the extremely high pressure of the air in the SCUBA tank from approximately 2,250 p.s.i. to approximately 180 p.s.i. This pressure then goes to the "second stage," which is the part that is worn in the diver's mouth. The second stage of a SCUBA regulator has a spring loaded "downstream" valve which delivers the correct amount of air to the diver when driven by an air pressure ranging from 100 to 250 p.s.i.
A prospective Hookah diver must realize that SCUBA regulators CANNOT be used for Hookah applications without special modifications. A typical Hookah compressor operates in an average pressure range of 30 to 50 p.s.i., which is not enough pressure to drive the spring loaded downstream valve of a SCUBA regulator. A diver who already owns a SCUBA regulator, but who wishes to use it for Hookah applications, must take his regulator to a competent dive shop or repair station and get the regulator converted over for low pressure use; he should not attempt to do it himself. The conversion can be made by installing a set of low tension springs which will give maximum efficiency when operated at low Hookah pressures. A dive shop or repair station will also have the necessary test gauges, etc., to make certain the adaptation has been effective.

A Hookah regulator is entirely different from a SCUBA regulator. It consists of a "second stage" only, which is fed directly from the output of the reserve tank via the air hose. There are no valve assemblies of the type that are used with SCUBA tanks. Hookah regulators employ a "tilt," or "pin" valve, which delivers a full air flow to the diver at a pressure as low as 30 p.s.i. This type of regulator is specifically designed for use with low pressure Hookah compressors. Hookah regulators, as are all modern regulators, are of the single hose, "demand" type. A "demand" regulator works on a relatively low volume of air, since it only has to deliver air as the diver breathes, or "demands" it.

I'm kinda' glad I'm so dumb.

I've just hooked up whatever 2nd stage I had laying around in the "antique box".

Modified regular SCUBA reg hoses by cobbled together QD fittings from Harbor Freight and some hose clamps.

Not dead yet. I'll get back to you if I do croak.

Foolish ignorant bliss- it works for me.

The rg3 is the reg I was referring to. Again, I'm no expert on hookah's, but they state on Brownies website that a standard scuba reg won't work. FAQ: Is My Scuba Regulator Compatible With My Hookah Diving System? |

Perhaps you could increase the pressure on the compressor, but then you're putting more stress on the compressor and increase the chances of a premature failure. Anyone who owns a compressor knows the more workload you put on it the more often they fail.

As far as the working pressures are concerned here's a decent read on it.

https://keeneeng.com/pamphlets/introHooka.html

You are going at it backwards. You leave the compressor alone and tweak the 2nd stages to work with sightly lower than normal SCUBA intermediate pressure.

Why now just rebuild the seconds you have yourself. If they are Dacors, the only thing in them to replace is the seat and maybe the exhaust valve. Unless it's an odd Dacor, it's a standard seat and exhaust valve used on a lot of regs....you can get them at Vintage Double hose...total parts for all 3 will be less than $20. Reguardless of what some will tell you, rebuilding them is very easy and well within the scope of most anyone who has any bit of mechanical ability.
Also, it's highly unlikely any dive shop will modify regs for you. That will involve installing non OEM parts so for supposed liability reasons they it is very unlikely they will not do it.

You are going at it backwards. You leave the compressor alone and tweak the 2nd stages to work with sightly lower than normal SCUBA intermediate pressure.

I'm not suggesting that, I believe it was suggested earlier and I explained why increasing the pressure on the compressor is a bad idea. Twice I've said in this thread to modify the second stage and even linked the manufacturers website and an intro to hookah article addressing the second stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom