Question Is a 20 year old regulator safe to use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Twenty years on a regulator is not a problem, provided you assure that nothing has been abused, damaged or neglected to the point of damaging the equipment. I still have as my "go to" regulator a Conshelf SE [plastic 2nd stage] that I purchased new in 1985 or 1986. I have rebuilt the 1st stage a couple of times, and the 2nd stage once. There are approximately 2,000 dives on the old Connie, and I hope to get at least another 1,000.

I teach with an old Mares MR-12 Proton [plastic 2nd stage] that is between 15 and 20 years old. Again, periodic rebuilding and its good for another 1,000 dives.

As far as non -plastic 2nd stage single hose regulators, I dive several from the 1960s and 1970s. Double hose regulators are a horse of a different color, my oldest, fully functional is a green label US Divers Broxton Trademark Aqualung, vintage 1953. Works great.

You can sell a 20 yo regulator. The questions: are parts still available for it and will anyone buy it?
Yes that's the problem. I was once offered a Cressi reg, a 15/20 years old model too. Spare part kits were no more available and the conception was tricky. Sure a good technician would have been able to find in his stock proper Orings for replacement but not me. I remember also the old model of Aqualung/Titan needing specific tools for maintenance. The new Titan model is easier to service...

Duplicate

Of the many regulators I have and use, all are from last century save for the 2006 USD remake of the Mistral. That reg Is a piece of junk. The rest work amazingly. M

Is the Abyss faceplate metal or plastic?

I have some metal and plastic Mares Protons from that era with a similar 'sieve' look - the plastic faceplates became brittle over time and cracked/broke off when purged. The metal ones are still fine.

Otherwise just get it serviced and dive away.

Cheers
Rohan.

I teach with an old Mares MR-12 Proton [plastic 2nd stage] that is between 15 and 20 years old. Again, periodic rebuilding and its good for another 1,000 dives.
You must be very gentle on the purge of the plastic Proton. The whole faceplate is a soft plastic that deforms to serve as the purge. The plastic degrades over time, becomes brittle and breaks easily. I've got one left of the original 4 that were the first regs my wife and I bought 20 years ago.

Amusingly, there's a current listing on eBay for a regset with both the Proton primary and octopus having completely destroyed faceplates. The seller somehow overlooks this in the description "There may be scratches and stains due to age. We connected it to the tank and did a simple operation check and checked for air leaks, but there were no problems."

Screenshot_20231108-222926.png

I've switched to the metal bodied Protons. They are just as old, but have a metal and hard plastic faceplate that has had zero problems.

Is the Abyss faceplate metal or plastic?

I have some metal and plastic Mares Protons from that era with a similar 'sieve' look - the plastic faceplates became brittle over time and cracked/broke off when purged. The metal ones are still fine.

Otherwise just get it serviced and dive away.

Cheers
Rohan.
The Abyss faceplates are fine. There are some variants that were plastic and others were metal, but even the plastic was solid, it's not the bendable stuff they used on the plastic Protons. Also all the Abyss faceplates are interchangeable and new metal ones are still in stock.

I'm currently selling the first regulator that I purchased a Zeagle Envoy. It has served me well over many years. I always rinse my regulator thoroughly after every dive and keep up to date on servicing. Those two items and you will be good to go for years.

I am using first gen MK17 and G250 (little bit modified) for deco tanks. No issues.

I use 20 year old regs. Apeks and Poseidon. As long as they are serviced and cared for. I don't recommend you buy if you can't test it and confirm the servicing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom