Question Is a 20 year old regulator safe to use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm still using my first regulator from 1994 (MK10, g200B) - and bought several more for my boys to use. All serviced and working perfectly - so I sure hope they are safe to use. Hopefully a 30 year old regulator is safe too as I'm just about there...
As noted by others - finding parts is another matter.

The original hose fitting looks like a Home Depot solution.
Should have cropped the picture, so as to not confuse new divers and experienced divers

This is my one axis reg I own.
20231106_140059.jpg

This is a 1970s Poseidon cyklon 300
With and adapter, and a custom length hose, with special hose end, (can not be bought:wink: which hasn't been crimped yet.

20231106_140451.jpg

Here's an other axis.

20231106_170136.jpg

I have one of those, I think, and I'd dive it without hesitation after servicing it. But I'm trying to standardize on deco regs that take the same kit, so it's been idle for a few years.

I hope so. I have been using my Apeks for 22 years, my scubapro for 15 and my conshelf of 40 years with annual overhauls. If you have any concerns take it to your dive shop for a look-see by the technician. Seals and rings can dry out when stored.

Hope a 20 year old reg is safe to use, I am using a number of over 30 year old ones every week.

You’re obviously putting yourself in a dangerous situation and as a concerned SB member I feel it is my duty to help.
Please send me your reg and I’ll ensure your safety from the dangers. 🫣🤣

It will go well with my two 90’s era Mares Abyss’ that I have used as deco regs for along time.

My one reg I use frequently is from 1958, another from 1967....

If that is older MR12 first stage it may not be serviceable. The early MR12 with the non removable orifice are technically not serviceable per Mares tech services due to an incompatibility with the current HP seat (tri-material 2k18). These first stages are easily identified by having only one HP port. The second stage on the other hand is still serviceable.

If that is older MR12 first stage it may not be serviceable. The early MR12 with the non removable orifice are technically not serviceable per Mares tech services due to an incompatibility with the current HP seat (tri-material 2k18). These first stages are easily identified by having only one HP port. The second stage on the other hand is still serviceable.
The MR12 that came with the Axis had the replaceable orifice.

I doubt there's an actual incompatibility issue with the older regs. But even if there is, there are plenty of the original Tri-Material seats around. They are the ones with the black rubber on the stem. There are also Trident and Aqualung seats that are compatible.

The real issue with the non-replaceable orifice is that if the volcano edge gets damaged enough to affect lock up, all you can do is try to restore the edge with careful sanding. There are a few techs in the world that can still do this, but it will never make economic sense on these regs.

Back
Top Bottom