Question Skipping 1st stage Maintenance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never rinse/soak pressurized because I don’t want to kill my transmitter battery, if you have a seat saver like Atomic or Zeagle F8 just soak the first first and keep the seconds elevated just above the water level, reverse order for the seconds.

I once did a little test with an Atomic Z, and concluded it is a very slight concern, only a drop or so will make it into the hose after some time, just hang the them to dry if you can’t or don’t want to bother blowing some air through them afterward and you should be fine.

I never rinse/soak pressurized because I don’t want to kill my transmitter battery, if you have a seat saver like Atomic or Zeagle F8 just soak the first first and keep the seconds elevated just above the water level, reverse order for the seconds.

I once did a little test with an Atomic Z, and concluded it is a very slight concern, only a drop or so will make it into the hose after some time, just hang the them to dry if you can’t or don’t want to bother blowing some air through them afterward and you should be fine.

I just hang the first stage high and barely below the water surface with the second stage on the bottom of the rinse bucket. No water is going to travel up the hose to the first stage. I Pick the first stage up first when done and hang the whole kit so the first stage is highest to dry. No issues and easy no worries to do.

I just hang the first stage high and barely below the water surface with the second stage on the bottom of the rinse bucket. No water is going to travel up the hose to the first stage. I Pick the first stage up first when done and hang the whole kit so the first stage is highest to dry. No issues and easy no worries to do.
Looks like there are some basic physics questions I need a reminder on - pardon me for that.
  1. So water will not travel up the hose till the waterline automatically? The situation of soaking regs is different from the attached pic in that there is no air column above the 2nd stage. So what happens here assuming an open seat? Will the water not travel up till the 1st stage trying to reach the waterline? Akin to inserting a test-tube upside down into the water?
  2. How narrow (in mm) does a tube have to be to induce capillary action and rise up against gravity?
IMG_8001.jpeg

Looks like there are some basic physics questions I need a reminder on -
  1. So water will not travel up the hose till the waterline automatically? The situation of soaking regs is different from the attached pic in that there is no air column above the 2nd stage. So what happens here assuming an open seat? Will the water not travel up till the 1st stage trying to reach the waterline?
  2. How narrow (in mm) does a tube have to be to induce capillary action and rise up against gravity?
View attachment 841284
If the first is sealed (as in the dust cap being properly installed and actually sealing) the water intrusion is very slight since the air cannot get past the water and any that pushes into the hose will push back out when you remove them from the rinse.

All the above contributors nailed it!
Pressurized is just a PITA, and my wife doesn't like it when my tank chips the sink enamel.
Totally not necessary for ALL the reasons above.

It's nice when we dispel urban myths, isn't it?

Thank you @halocline , @lexvil , @BoltSnap & @inquis !!

And BTW, since my Atomics are ALL sealed (unlike the disappointing, if popular, SP Mk25), I don't need to soak the first at all! Just a quick splash and drop the seconds in the sink overnight. But @BoltSnap 's technique is the way, if perchance :eek: your first stage isn't sealed (his are - he's just a little OCD). :wink:

your first stage isn't sealed (his are - he's just a little OCD)

They are indeed sealed and I am certainly as you describe :)

I connect the reg to the tank and blow some air through afterwards and have piece of mind.

I don't but now that you bring it up, I may do it just to keep up with OCD levels.

I think I can actually feel the transition when I purge the reg, that tells me what Lex tested: only a few (freshwater) drops get in if you purge it for hours and hours unpressurized.

I was suspicious of the floating seat at first, but a few years later I stopped second guessing the Atomic engineers...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom