Question Skipping 1st stage Maintenance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pearlman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello
My regulators are now almost 3 years old. I have a Scubapro MK25 Evo and an MK19 Evo which I swap on each dive trip to keep both in use. Hence each reg has seen less than 50 dives till now. They were mostly in storage for the whole of the first year as I got them just when the 1st covid lockdown was reopening for travel.

Two of my 2nd stages do alarm me though as potentially unsafe due to the way they breathe hence I plan to get them serviced before my next dive trip. Luckily I have a 3rd relatively unused 2nd stage that I used as a primary on my last dive trip but I was risking the backup reg as a potential panic enhancer in case of any emergency OOA panic situation. To be fair, I didn’t plan it this way - the one service technician I knew at the dive destination was unavailable when I landed and I was short of time before the diving days commenced.

Question is can I safely skip servicing the 1st stages until I cross at least 100 dives on each? I rarely (almost never) dive in silted conditions and it’s usually clear open water and the MK19 Evo is a sealed diaphragm design. They look as good as new such that on the latest trip, the dive staff complimented me on the shiny new regs I had.

Are you moving the 2nd stages between the two 1st stages? If so, i suggest you stop doing that. Why?

The 1st and 2nd stages need to be tuned as a set. IP variations may result in variable performance when swapped around. This will get worse over time as they slowly get out of tune.

It would be better to get two separate full sets of you want to rotate. However you really are not "saving" any thing with the rotation. Regulators can be used thousands of times over their life, and regular service replaces the parts that wear out.

Personally I think you and your question belong in A&I not for one second because I think you are in danger

But because the good people in there are really good at running scenarios, without any relevant information

Question is can I safely skip servicing the 1st stages until I cross at least 100 dives on each?

Like fabricating stuff from the air

Hello
My regulators are now almost 3 years old. I have a Scubapro MK25 Evo and an MK19 Evo which I swap on each dive trip to keep both in use. Hence each reg has seen less than 50 dives till now. They were mostly in storage for the whole of the first year as I got them just when the 1st covid lockdown was reopening for travel.

Two of my 2nd stages do alarm me though as potentially unsafe due to the way they breathe hence I plan to get them serviced before my next dive trip. Luckily I have a 3rd relatively unused 2nd stage that I used as a primary on my last dive trip but I was risking the backup reg as a potential panic enhancer in case of any emergency OOA panic situation. To be fair, I didn’t plan it this way - the one service technician I knew at the dive destination was unavailable when I landed and I was short of time before the diving days commenced.

Question is can I safely skip servicing the 1st stages until I cross at least 100 dives on each? I rarely (almost never) dive in silted conditions and it’s usually clear open water and the MK19 Evo is a sealed diaphragm design. They look as good as new such that on the latest trip, the dive staff complimented me on the shiny new regs I had.
There's 2 trains of thought here:
if it makes you uncomfortable, service them and have peace of mind.
Second opinion is to not touch them as long as they are locking and keeping correct IP.
What you can also do is to remove hoses and all plugs and take a look inside for quick visual check. If they look clean, chances are it's all fine.

Vis, hydro's, and reg service, are a money grab. Just because some jabrony messed himself up, or some people lack the ability to look in a tank and see it's dry, now all of us need to excessively service equipment?

The gear you rent, doesn't get serviced properly. Tanks out of vis and hydro. Regs and tank valves that look like they've been through ww2. Dry suit, haha, no. You're lucky if you even see a fresh tank o ring, and air that's clean.

If you have a competent dive shop that can actually service your regs properly, use them. If my regs are lightly used, I'll stretch out the service intervals for sure. For rec diving. I have an inline IP guage and tuner, and another little IP guage in my reg bag.

Carry a pony bottle if you're worried.

There's no guarantee that your LDS won't just make your regs worse when serviced. If your LDS looks dumpy, be skeptical.

But if you have a good shop, with reasonable rates handy, by all means take advantage of that.

There's 2 trains of thought here:
if it makes you uncomfortable, service them and have peace of mind.
Second opinion is to not touch them as long as they are locking and keeping correct IP.
What you can also do is to remove hoses and all plugs and take a look inside for quick visual check. If they look clean, chances are it's all fine.

Do you have an IP gauge?

Vis, hydro's, and reg service, are a money grab.

The gear you rent, doesn't get serviced properly.

If you have a competent dive shop that can actually service your regs properly, use them. If my regs are lightly used, I'll stretch out the service intervals for sure. For rec diving. I have an inline IP guage and tuner, and another little IP guage in my reg bag.

Yes, that is my immediate plan now after seeing your replies - getting an IPGuage and Pony bottle at home just to do preliminary checks before each dive trip and not finding myself in a risky situation after the diving begins.

I only do about 50 dives a year max typically with approx 20 days actually in the water. And I don’t trust myself to simply do a one day course and service my own regs when my life depends on it. The one thing I know from my own competencies in other domains is that it takes a hell lot of repeat practice to be good at something.

Are you moving the 2nd stages between the two 1st stages? If so, i suggest you stop doing that. Why?

The 1st and 2nd stages need to be tuned as a set. IP variations may result in variable performance when swapped around. This will get worse over time as they slowly get out of tune…

Pardon me for the incomplete information given earlier.
I have only balanced regs - An S600, C370 and an XTX50. And I dial the regs for optimal cracking pressure while in the water. Am I correct in understanding that a balanced 2nd stage can be swapped easily without issues because the fine-tuning can be done in-water? At least that is the impression I got from other threads on this forum.

I am fairly sure my 1st stages are good without needing service right now but it sure makes sense to check with an IP guage and confirm. Going to be shopping for one today!

You use an inline tool to adjust the second stage, when mix matching brands. Plenty of youtube vids.

You use an inline tool to adjust the second stage, when mix matching brands. Plenty of youtube vids.

You mean an in-line IP Gauge right?

Yes, that is my immediate plan now after seeing your replies - getting an IPGuage and Pony bottle at home just to do preliminary checks before each dive trip and not finding myself in a risky situation after the diving begins.

I only do about 50 dives a year max typically with approx 20 days actually in the water. And I don’t trust myself to simply do a one day course and service my own regs when my life depends on it. The one thing I know from my own competencies in other domains is that it takes a hell lot of repeat practice to be good at something.
Good self awareness!

Pardon me for the incomplete information given earlier.
I have only balanced regs - An S600, C370 and an XTX50. And I dial the regs for optimal cracking pressure while in the water. Am I correct in understanding that a balanced 2nd stage can be swapped easily without issues because the fine-tuning can be done in-water? At least that is the impression I got from other threads on this forum.
You are correct.

I am fairly sure my 1st stages are good without needing service right now but it sure makes sense to check with an IP guage and confirm. Going to be shopping for one today!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom