Broken Bow. Two Thumbs up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your going to cave dive don't weenie out

Go LP98 or LP108 depending on your build, for cave diving you want man tanks and your buddies will want you on man tanks.

Remember for cave its 1/3 of the gas is usable - thats it

DBL 85' pumped to 3600 gives you 77 cubic feet of usable gas (penetration gas)

DBL 108's pumped to 3600 gives you 98 cubic feet of usable (penetration gas) the extra 21 cubic feet DOES make a difference, thats an extra 21 cubic in, 21 cubic out, 42 cubic difference makes a huge difference in bottom time with a reasonable sac

.6 @ 33 feet gives 35 more minutes of bottom time

If your doing open water where you calculate rock bottom based on getting you and a buddy back tanks like 85's work well because you don't have to haul all that extra weight of man tanks and you are not limited to 1/3 of your volume as usable gas in your rock bottom calcs.

With that said 85's are great and I am looking at adding either LP 85's or HP 100's to my cylinder line up.

Dammit! How many times do I have to tell you! Damn is spelled "D-A-M". :)

Thanks Craig! At least I didn't have to say it.

Think you're ready to boat around the lake in search of the ultimate dive site? :D:D:D

I feel an expedition growing, yo! Frank! :cool2:

~tony

I wanna go!

So far it seems that 108's are the best bet for me, the guy I am going to sometime take my cave classes through recommended that size tank for me, being the size I am. I will probebly rent a few different sets before I make the big purchase but I am pretty set on LP cylinders just not sure of size.

Ryan, just knowing you and your size and interest in caving and having dove with you several times, 108's would probably be a good size for your general set of doubles. I think your idea of trying several sizes is great. You are welcome you use my LP85's as a starting point if you like.

Obviously not for use with steels but gives you the idea

IMG_0103.JPG
IMG_0104.jpg

A bunch of good info here...

I went with LP 85's for my first set of steels.

I am a cave diver, but considering I live and do most of my dives in TX, I didn't want to haul all the extra weight of larger tanks for open water diving (90% of my dives).

However, you can bet my next set will be larger, esp. if I ever move out to Florida where I can get my overhead diving above 10% :wink:

Cool that you got to go dive there ryanh1985

I could spend a lifetime up there doing dives. It's 25 or 30 miles long so there are places to dive that I'm sure people have never been to before. Now is a great time to go.
I'm going to do a few over night trips there soon.
:D

Cool that you got to go dive there ryanh1985

I could spend a lifetime up there doing dives. It's 25 or 30 miles long so there are places to dive that I'm sure people have never been to before. Now is a great time to go.
I'm going to do a few over night trips there soon.
:D

When you decide on a date, let me know. Right now I think I'll be busy May 2&3 covering a bass tourney on Lake of the Pines, and probably Memorial Day Weekend. Free air and viz/hydros come w/a little cost....:D

~tony

Last edited:
When you decide on a date, let me know. Right now I think I'll be busy May 2&3 covering a bass tourney on Lake of the Pines, and probably Memorial Day Weekend. Free air and viz/hydros come w/a little cost....:D

~tony

Same here, I am not total sure about how much free time I will have in the next few months, but if I can go I will definitely go.

Same here, I am not total sure about how much free time I will have in the next few months, but if I can go I will definitely go.

Count me in for shore/boat support if you don't mind me tagging along, but I would understand if you guys think an extra body would be in the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom