Broken Bow. Two Thumbs up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Count me in for shore/boat support if you don't mind me tagging along, but I would understand if you guys think an extra body would be in the way.

you are more than welcome to come along, in fact if you do want to go, just give me a shout and if you would like you can just ride up their with me.

Is there a dive shop near by to get airfills? I would like to do an overnight stay there with our dive club. I think it is about a 4 hour drive from Tulsa, but sure beats the 3' vis I had at Tenkiller last weekend. I thought there was a dive shop called Broken Bow Scuba, but they no longer have a web page.

Is there a dive shop near by to get airfills? I would like to do an overnight stay there with our dive club. I think it is about a 4 hour drive from Tulsa, but sure beats the 3' vis I had at Tenkiller last weekend. I thought there was a dive shop called Broken Bow Scuba, but they no longer have a web page.

It is still there....their 'new' web page is having tech troubles at times.
Broken Bow Scuba
Rr 4
Broken Bow, OK 74728
580-584-3408

Looks like a nice dive. Long way from Austin though!

There are a couple of alternatives to expensive lead V weights.
Dive Rite "Harness Weight" can be used in the same way as a V weight
SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Harness Weight

Oxycheq has a similar product Pockets

Deep Sea supply has a tail weight that hangs off the bottom bolt of a backplate
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=10

A trick I often use is putting a regular weight on my waistbelt to hold the can light in place. Could be dropped if it absolutely had to but no way is it going to come off accidentally.

I gave up on any type of weightbelts/velcro/ditchable weight a long time ago. Once you start doing deeper dives the risk seems to outweigh any benefits.

Last edited:
Ryan, congrats on DPD! Your new sub-title will need to be changed to "ScubaCop"....proud of ya son.
Alan, nice to see you're pingikng the boards, glad to see you around sir.

For those interested in diving Broken Bow, and needing airfills... Go by the Broken Bow Fire Department... They'll fill your tanks for free off of their compressor system... I have been to Broken Bow 5 times since last summer and they have always filled my tanks free, and gave us some good spots to check out as well...

For those interested in diving Broken Bow, and needing airfills... Go by the Broken Bow Fire Department... They'll fill your tanks for free off of their compressor system... I have been to Broken Bow 5 times since last summer and they have always filled my tanks free, and gave us some good spots to check out as well...

I must have 'miss read' you post the first time. While FREE in many cases is a good thing...in the case of BB area and its comercial dive shop and local BB Fire Dept. offering free air scuba fills I vote 'SUPPORT' the local shop first when possible! If paying for a few scuba tanks of air bums you from going then look into another sport.....I think it is very nice for thwe local FD to make the offer in the case of no local dive shop, but there is a nice one that is trying like most to keep the doors open. Spend a few bucks to support a dive shop and use the kind offer of free air from a local dive area FD when it makes the only sense. :)

I will second with texdiveugy!
The offer of free air fill from the local FD is very noble; and in certain instances can save your dive trip; particularly if no local dive shop exists. However, in this case, a local dive shop does exist. We must support the local dive shops!

Local dive shops are trying to stay in business. To do that, they must recieve commercial support from customers. You might not need a dive shop today to purchase a new BCD or a new mask; but you will need a dive shop at some point in the future. We need our dive shops and our dive shops need us! Support the local dive shop when possible!

I'd say to give James and Broken Bow Scuba the business too.
All you big city folks will be pretty surprised at what you'll find way out in the piney woods of Southern Oklahoma. Especially if you check out the back of the shop where they do Hydro testing and such. They have a huge topographic map of the lake on the wall at the shop and you can get some good ideas about the days dives or plan for future ones. James has been to just about any place you could think of on the lake that deep ( and there are a bunch of deep spots)
However, if you need a fill on Sunday then the fire dept may be your only source.

Back
Top Bottom