Broken Bow. Two Thumbs up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get a lead V-Weight for your doubles, if I remember I'll take a picture of the one I have and post it.

That would be awesome. Thanks.

Hint--
V-wt. is a good thing for alm. doubles, but bought new can be expensive......try and get a used one or a homemade unit from someone. With my configuration I can use soft wts. in replacement for a hard V-wt. when I used my alm. doubles. But rilley steel doubles are the way to go if you can swing it at some point.

How do you like your Pinnacle Drysuit?

The v-weight is great idea with alum doubles.
It would benefit you to float check the tanks with 500 psi and get the lift weight of the tanks. This has helped me in the past.

Also I tend to weight myself specifically by my suit. So in my last drysuit it was 20 lbs in a DUI weight and trim harness. I have had my weight and trim harness for years and it has been great. That way if I had to get out of my doubles there is no a ballistic missile issues.

I have had a rapid ascent and it really makes you take notice.
On ascent I open my relief valve on the suit; in the past the suit has a volume of gas that it cannot displace fast enough. Slowing the ascent or stopping to vent the suit has helped me. Just keep in mind your gas volume expansion for ascent. I tend to stop around every atomsphere to vent.
(How other people do this would be appreciated)

Long term for tanks another option is sidemount; it really helps with the mountain goat entries.

I think that Frank and Alan should start a speciality class on Oklahoma Hilly Entries! :D

Later, Andrew

How do you like your Pinnacle Drysuit?

The v-weight is great idea with alum doubles.
It would benefit you to float check the tanks with 500 psi and get the lift weight of the tanks. This has helped me in the past.

Also I tend to weight myself specifically by my suit. So in my last drysuit it was 20 lbs in a DUI weight and trim harness. I have had my weight and trim harness for years and it has been great. That way if I had to get out of my doubles there is no a ballistic missile issues.

I have had a rapid ascent and it really makes you take notice.
On ascent I open my relief valve on the suit; in the past the suit has a volume of gas that it cannot displace fast enough. Slowing the ascent or stopping to vent the suit has helped me. Just keep in mind your gas volume expansion for ascent. I tend to stop around every atomsphere to vent.

Long term for tanks another option is sidemount; it really helps with the mountain goat entries.

I think that Frank and Alan should start a speciality class on Oklahoma Hilly Entries! :D

Later, Andrew

Love the Pinnacle dry suit so far. Only have a hand full of dives on it, but it seems to be a great suit.

Sidemount was looking very nice for this dive, but I have enough new dive toys for
now. Maybe after I take a few cave classes I will look into it, but don't see doing that for a while.

Just keep in mind your gas volume expansion for ascent. I tend to stop around every atomsphere to vent.

I keep my vent cranked all the way open, as I ascend most of the time the gas just comes out I don't have to do anything or make special stops or anything like that it just comes out as it expands.

If I'm too head down on ascent I feel a bubble forming in my back in the suit I lift my left arm, bubble moves to left arm then I "chicken wing" my arm and the gas comes out, this is a constant activity based on how my suit "feels".

Not sure how to explain it, its more of a constant gas leak vs like with my wing were I"ll dump gas at intervals based on how fast I'm going up etc.

I keep my vent cranked all the way open, as I ascend most of the time the gas just comes out I don't have to do anything or make special stops or anything like that it just comes out as it expands.

If I'm too head down on ascent I feel a bubble forming in my back in the suit I lift my left arm, bubble moves to left arm then I "chicken wing" my arm and the gas comes out, this is a constant activity based on how my suit "feels".

Not sure how to explain it, its more of a constant gas leak vs like with my wing were I"ll dump gas at intervals based on how fast I'm going up etc.

Yeah I have been doing the same thing. I keep the valve wide open all the time. Works great so far. The problem with this issue, was by the time I lost the weight and was going up, it was not dumping air as fast as I would like. I got behind the curve so to speak.

I also vote for the vent 'open' during the ascent phase of the dive......this seems to work well for me and making a slow ascent or stopping at waypoints is easy with the vent 'open'.

Yeah I have been doing the same thing. I keep the valve wide open all the time. Works great so far. The problem with this issue, was by the time I lost the weight and was going up, it was not dumping air as fast as I would like. I got behind the curve so to speak.

One method that is taught for run away inflator is to flip vertical dumping BC and Drysuit at the same time (hard to explain) another one is going head down, kicking downward against the ascent while disconnecting the offending inflator, suppose one could modify that for this case and pull the rear BC dump instead.

Not sure how either would work for a loss of lead tho :), just a thought.

If your interested in cave, I'll echo another comment and say go buy steel tanks, takes care of the weight problem!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom