Small issue with my Calypso IV today.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I only own three 71.2 steels now for my limited local shallow quarry diving (warm summer conditions above the thermocline, almost 76F these days.)

Before I switched to all K valves I'd use teh J with and without a rod sometimes. As Mark says when I started in 1969 I didn't;t have a SPG. So we were trained to keep reaching back pushing the rod up so when we got to the last 300 PSI we'd know it was time to start surfacing.

Later when I got a SPG (maybe around 1971?) we'd still use the J-valve.

The streamlining of no BCD and all is what I still replicate with my lightweight Aqualung ZUMA BCD. It's as close as I can get to no BCD for my underwater swimming :)

David Haas

DaveyUWselfiePhilippinesSept2018.jpg

So what is that weird red rubber band on your head?
Mask lanyard. Here in So. Cal. waves crashing over your head on beach dive entry/exits has resulted in the loss of a mask or two over the years. I've also had dufus neophytes and seasoned idiots kick my mask off underwater. I've been using mask lanyards since the mid-1970's. :eek: Haven't lost a mask since.

Off topic, if you ever want spare parts for that rig , I have 2 ammunition boxes full of spare parts.
And for the J valve if you want it. Only divers of our age know what the J is about. :giggle:
Postage would be a 'killer' though.
View attachment 858872View attachment 858873View attachment 858874
Off topic, if you ever want spare parts for that rig , I have 2 ammunition boxes full of spare parts.
And for the J valve if you want it. Only divers of our age know what the J is about. :giggle:
I need
I need a new piston for mine. Knife edge is damaged and all efforts to resurface have been unsuccessful.

I need a new piston for mine. Knife edge is damaged and all efforts to resurface have been unsuccessful.
I am sure we can do a Trade of some sort.
I have plenty of 'new' pistons , what about seats ?

I am sure we can do a Trade of some sort.
I have plenty of 'new' pistons , what about seats ?
I have a new seat that I got from Bryan. IP creep due to piston knife edge damage. Great breather but the IP issue needs fixing. What kind of trade do you have in mind?

What kind of trade do you have in mind?
OK, a Freedom plate or a set of Eddy 'flippers' in M, only joking :giggle:

The trouble is I either have it, or don't need it.
DM me your address and we can talk about postage etc.👌

A frame-grab or two from my buddy's GoPro video. The last pics of my USD 1085 2nd Stage before it was lost to the abyss. :oops:

GRekOF.jpg

zBh6oJ.jpg
Looks familiar, except my event happened in York River at Gloucester point. ….add steel rebar stakes used to grid off a U/W archaeology site and low visibility and a steady current in 50 degree water. One of the stakes snagged my valve lever. I never noticed it happen as both of us were ready to conclude the survey and get to surface. …not an ideal situation and a ‘learning’ experience for both of us…

Great breather but the IP issue needs fixing. What kind of trade do you have in mind?
It says on your profile you are 124 years old. :oops:
And I thought I was an old fart [only mid 70s].

Since the 1990s I've used nothing but 1085 second stages for all but two of well over 300 dives and I'm having a terrible time figuring out how yours went adrift without you knowing it. Also what was left on your hose? I can't imagine what would make it come apart or how. Did part of the body actually break or what?

The Curious Frog 🐸??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom