Looking for Suggestion to Expand Diving Experience. Have Advanced with 35 dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How does Bonaire fit this question in the OP?
"Would appreciate any suggestions as to spots where I can gain some experience diving in currents and deep blue."
chance to see mermaids !

I think FL, east coast, and Baja will do the trick. Not really worried about drift. Just wanna feel more comfortable so to deal with it properly. I think I can get through Socorro. But my goal is to enjoy Socorro somewhat effortlessly rather than struggle through it.

I’d totally recommend Florida’s Atlantic Coast.

There are some super charters that’ll quickly but smoothly get you up to speed with drift diving. Drift dives are nothing to be intimidated by.

Guides are provided on the charters in Palm Beach and Jupiter. Go to the Florida sub-forum and see the two threads there that have great info.

Plenty of sealife to see.

Plenty of well-stocked dive shops.

Great options for lodging and dining.

Only thing Florida doesn’t have are wall dives but that doesn’t sound like a requirement for you at this stage.

Enjoy the research and planning!

Been looking at Florida and North Carolina but lot of those dives are unguided so I'm hesitant.

I'd recommend getting at least 50-70 dives before going to Soccoro. No matter what experience level you have - it's a challenging trip.

Few suggestions of the top of my head:
Palm Beach - Princess Anne and Mizpah Corridor. DM included.
Upper keys - Rainbow Reef and Key Dives have DMs included. Double dips on Spiegel Grove wreck would be a good target, potentially Duane and Eagle too.
Key West - Vandenberg is awesome, really worth paying for a guide at least on one trip.

Hey there. I’d look at Cozumel/Playa del Carmen. The diving is really good and there are moderate currents there, esp. Cozumel. Most diving there were drift dives. If you go to Playa del Carmen have to ferry to Cozumel but it’s easier to get to cenotes south of the city. Those are special dives, esp. Kulkulkan. The diving in Mexico is also less expensive than other areas of the Caribbean.

Back
Top Bottom