Larger BC, more weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m a new OW diver trying to figure out optimal weighting and buoyancy. I am 6 feet tall, 245 pounds with around 15% body fat. I’m diving in salt water with a Neotek2 8/7/6.

I bought a 32# wing which doesn’t seem to lift me out of the water enough for a surface swim without a snorkel or using my air. With that said, towards the end of my dive, I can’t seem to stay down with an empty BC and 27 pounds of weight with a steel 100.

Something is not passing the smell test here.

I used to be 6-2 and 250 pounds - 7mm wetsuit, fresh water dive with jacket style BCD (about 32 pounds of lift) and AL80 I needed about 20 pounds of lead. Salt water dive probably extra 4 pounds? Never had any issues with lift.

You are using steel plate BPW (about 5-6 pounds difference from a regular BCD) and steel 100 (that's another 6 pounds from AL80). Theoretically in salt water you should need no more than 20-ish pounds with that setup.

Currently about same height/weight with a little more body fat.

Hearing you’re at almost 30 pounds is intriguing, but like most have said, as a new diver they overweight you in training and that’s all you know, plus the saltwater additions.

What BCD are you running? Any accessories? Faber HP100? Curious to know what your actual weight is loaded. Do you have a hand scale at home to weigh your BCD dry?

I’m running a BPW (30# Deep6, steel plate), two orca torches plus my octo/regs..and if I even look at lead, I sink like a rock unless I’m in a 5/4, which I have to add around 2-4 pounds (fresh). I understand saltwater and adding, but it sounds almost dangerous if you are unable to fin all that extra weight if something fails, or you’re so heavy you cannot remain surface swimming.
Since posting this originally, I moved from a 32# wing to a 40# wing, which solved the issue of lifting me out of the water for a surface swim on my back.
My backplate (Black devil long and heavy), wing (WTX-D40), webbing, and empty weight pockets are just over 12 pounds. I carry two torches, shears, masks, and depending on the depth, an AL40 with reg set. I also have a GoPro with housing. Single tank HP100.
I'll be doing some freshwater dives this Monday and the following Saturday. I think part of the issue is me - a new diver.
I am going to start out at 22 pounds of lead and see how that works out for me, considering all of the conversations in here. It's been great to get everyone's perspectives.

I am going to start out at 22 pounds of lead and see how that works out for me,

One of the most important weighting moments - neutrally buoyant with empty BCD and 500 psi @ 15 feet. Take lead in smaller increments and give some to your dive buddy @ 15' until you're neutral

edited: it's not about how much your stuff weighs on land, it's about the amount of negative or positive buoyancy under water. There was a smart guy a while back, Archimedes was his name?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom