Best Inherently Sealed Regulator for Cold/Warm Diving

Best Reg?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually we use the whiskey before working on the reg but it’s may actually work as a sealing agent and using one of those juice box straws it would serve as a nice after dive drink chiller.

What's with all this talk about special lube to seal a piston reg? I thought you cold water types usually used whisky to seal piston regs.

I had a Swedish instructor who had been a Navy diver during his compulsory military service. He said they used to use high proof vodka* to protect their Poseidon's from freezing.

* They were not using Nitrox

Last edited:
What's with all this talk about special lube to seal a piston reg? I thought you cold water types usually used whisky to seal piston regs.

According to Poseidon Reg. Service Trainer when I took the Poseidon reg. service course MANY years ago, they used "Vodka" in their first stages to make them environmentally sealed.

According to Poseidon Reg. Service Trainer when I took the Poseidon reg. service course MANY years ago, they used "Vodka" in their first stages to make them environmentally sealed.
When I took my course I was also told that the Cyclon rubber environmental cap was also used as a shot glass :)

@Umuntu

Read the above please and learn something. Again, the insanely exaggerated costs for servicing Atomic regulators that have been propagated by some here on SB including you are just that, exaggerations!! They are so, "gross," exaggeration especially when considering that the Atomic regulator needs to be serviced much less frequently than other brands. I'd spend more money on a single meal in a fast food place in the US than what it would cost me to service an Atomic regulator. This is not a joke, it is a fact.
You are delusional. I just had an In-and-out burger meal for $6.63 incl. CA State tax. You are not seriously stating that a reg, Atomic, SP, whatever, can be serviced for less than that.

@Umuntu

Read the above please and learn something. Again, the insanely exaggerated costs for servicing Atomic regulators that have been propagated by some here on SB including you are just that, exaggerations!! They are so, "gross," exaggeration especially when considering that the Atomic regulator needs to be serviced much less frequently than other brands. I'd spend more money on a single meal in a fast food place in the US than what it would cost me to service an Atomic regulator. This is not a joke, it is a fact.

Is it a specific design within Atomic regulators that sets it up for service intervals that are further apart than the other brands or is it just because of what the manufacturer recommends? Or a function of both? Is there any difference between piston and diaphragm intervals? I would love to hear your thoughts on this. (Genuine question.)

As for the cost of serving a regulator, Atomic or not.... I don't think I could even get a parts kit wholesale (or even cost to the manufacturer) for less than a meal in a fast food place!

You are delusional. I just had an In-and-out burger meal for $6.63 incl. CA State tax. You are not seriously stating that a reg, Atomic, SP, whatever, can be serviced for less than that.

if you do the service yourself, it is possible to service a scubapro mk2 or clone for roughly 5 dollars

Is it a specific design within Atomic regulators that sets it up for service intervals that are further apart than the other brands or is it just because of what the manufacturer recommends? Or a function of both? Is there any difference between piston and diaphragm intervals? I would love to hear your thoughts on this. (Genuine question.)

As for the cost of serving a regulator, Atomic or not.... I don't think I could even get a parts kit wholesale (or even cost to the manufacturer) for less than a meal in a fast food place!

atomic does use more corrosion resistant materials than most other brands (eg zirconium, monel, stainless steel). most diaphragm regs can last a long time also before service if the first stage seat is good quality. my DST has certainly exceeded 2 years and 200 dives.

Wow - does that include parts for 3 stages? Well, this may be irrelevant because I don't service my own regs but I am curious.

just for the first stage. a downstream 2nd like the conshelfs/scubapro r series costs less than a dollar if you punch the seat awap style out of sheet epdm. the balanced 2nds depend on the manufacturer (because some require more than just replacing the seat and orings), but if it just the hat style seat and orings, that comes to 3 dollars or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom