Arggg.. dropped off regs for servicing. Broken 1st stage...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlvrDragon50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just a rant..

Dropped off my regs for servicing. Takes forever for my regs to the parts in (not the LDS fault). They finally get the parts in, and now they discover the first stage reg is messed up. They couldn't find a part for the piston to seat I'm guessing (again, not necessarily the LDS's fault). Shouldn't have bought the Salvo regs those years ago :|

I just can't believe that I would bring in working regs and end up having to pay a ton of money for a new 1st stage.. I don't even understand how this could happen.

Salvo SR3 1st stage. Something with the housing so it's not just a part. Something was worn?

Smells a bit fishy...... they are diaphragm regs, no piston here.
Have your LDS tech explain the problem to you more thoroughly and actually show you the problem.

They look they are one of the many Apeks copies around. Even if official "salvo" parts aren't available it shouldn't be too difficult to source parts.

and now they discover the first stage reg is messed up.

Please define "messed up" as this is more than a bit fishy smelling.

N

Agree, not much to wear out in there. And why would you need to spend a ton of money on a new first stage?

---------- Post added January 28th, 2014 at 09:45 PM ----------

And Joel at TDL used to sell the Salvo regs. Would be kinda surprised if he doesn't have some kits left over. Call them and ask.

I don't know all the details. I'll find out tomorrow morning. I messed up piston,diaphgram terminology. It's been a very long time since I've looked into regular part breakdowns :/

He just said the knife edge inside the housing is worn, and it won't seat completely with seats from all sorts of kits.

I always thought the Salvos and DR regs had the same kits except DR had 'upgraded' parts so I didn't think it would be difficult to get replacement parts.

I wish I could wait for regs, but I have a class this weekend.. and yea I know.. I 'm not supposed to do big dives with freshly reserviced regs..

I say spending a lot of money on a first stage since anything over 100 bucks is a lot :p I'm already spending a bunch on servicing the second stages.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is the crown not replaceable? I read somewhere that it is apparently possible to dress the crown using the eraser end of a pencil, not sure how uch truth there is to that never tried.

The tech tried buffing the edge and still didn't work. I don't know enough about regulator servicing to comment unfortunately :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom