Arggg.. dropped off regs for servicing. Broken 1st stage...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Salvo regs were sourced from Ocean Divers Supply in Taiwan and are essentially the same as what was being sold by Oxycheq, OMS, Dive Rite and others at the time. So service kits should be floating around for them. If you want to keep the regs I would ask someone about them in the the cave divers forum as they were popular with Florida cave divers for a while. Maybe they can give you a parts source.

Dive Gear Express is selling a DIN HOG D2 for $99 on clearance, which is in your price range.

---------- Post added January 28th, 2014 at 08:17 PM ----------

Is the crown not replaceable? I read somewhere that it is apparently possible to dress the crown using the eraser end of a pencil, not sure how much truth there is to that never tried.

I read the same but I think you are supposed to use an eraser from an ink pen as they are more abrasive. There is a thread in the DIY forum on using micromesh to dress the knife edge of the piston, Couv and Zung are the ones to ask.

I am unsure why the edge was damaged unless it was done during service or there was garbage in regulator when sealed after the last service. First stages do not just "mess-up" all of a sudden.

Salvo regs were sourced from Ocean Divers Supply in Taiwan and are essentially the same as what was being sold by Oxycheq, OMS, Dive Rite and others at the time. So service kits should be floating around for them. If you want to keep the regs I would ask someone about them in the the cave divers forum as they were popular with Florida cave divers for a while. Maybe they can give you a parts source.

Dive Gear Express is selling a DIN HOG D2 for $99 on clearance, which is in your price range.

But if crown is non replaceable or cannot be repaired it's toast. I have no idea if the crown is replaceable or not. IIRC the DR crown is replaceable and if it's the same then OP might be lucky. Assuming the crown was/is the issue.

---------- Post added January 28th, 2014 at 11:19 PM ----------

Sorry, posted at the same time.

---------- Post added January 28th, 2014 at 08:17 PM ----------

I read the same but I think you are supposed to use an eraser from an ink pen as they are more abrasive. There is a thread in the DIY forum on using micromesh to dress the knife edge of the piston, Couv and Zung are the ones to ask.

I am unsure why the edge was damaged unless it was done during service or there was garbage in regulator when sealed after the last service. First stages do not just "mess-up" all of a sudden.
Yea, that's why I'm really not sure. The regs worked beautifully for me when I was using them (Scubatoys did the previous servicing and found everything to work great as well!). I don't see how it could have suddenly gotten damaged without showing any performance issues. The store in question is a fantastic store, I love them. I really don't think the tech would have damaged the regulator and lie about it.

I didn't see teh HOG D2 first stage the first time I looked around. Thanks.

Will definitely get it if I can't fix my regs since I need them by Friday :|

But if crown is non replaceable or cannot be repaired it's toast. I have no idea if the crown is replaceable or not. IIRC the DR crown is replaceable and if it's the same then OP might be lucky. Assuming the crown was/is the issue.

I don't know if the crown is replaceable also. My intuition tells me it is not. These regs look to be based off the Apeks DS series which do not have replaceable crowns. I was referring him to the cave diver board because Salvos were popular with cave divers for a while and they may know more about them and where to get parts. I also remember there were people selling used sets inexpensively.

In theory, if the crown is not replaceable then the regulator body needs to be replaced. In practice, this is expensive so it is usually more cost effective to just replace the regulator. So you are right it toast.

Consider buying a set of zeagle regs. The crown is made of hard plastic and it forms part of the service kit.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

The regs worked beautifully for me when I was using them (Scubatoys did the previous servicing and found everything to work great as well!). I don't see how it could have suddenly gotten damaged without showing any performance issues. The store in question is a fantastic store, I love them. I really don't think the tech would have damaged the regulator and lie about it.

I would recommend you read some posts in the DIY forum and buy a IP gauge (DGX has them cheap) to check the condition of the regulator over time. When you start to see significant creep then it is time for service. Salvo has been out of business for a long time so you do not need to worry about keeping the warranty up.

The hard edge of the seat (crown) mates with the soft seat which is plastic so it is not going to be damaged by that. The edge will wear down but I would think it would take a couple thousand dives to do so. If it is damaged then the damage came from the tech, something was left inside the reg from the last service or something was introduced into the reg which damaged the seat. The last reason is a stretch because the reg is sealed and any junk from the tank should have been caught by the filter. That leaves the other two reasons.

The store may be great but few techs are going to go to their boss and admit they screwed up and damaged a client reg. I used a store once in Altamonte Springs (no longer in business) that replaced every internal part of a Sherwood Magnum during a service. Much latter I gave the parts to another store to see if they could use them and they owner I gave the parts to said nothing was wrong with any of them. They just screwed me because I did not know any better.

If the regulator was working fine when you brought it in and now it doesn't work, who's fault is that? And why did you bring it in, was it because of the 'annual service' battle cry that's so common? Or was there a noticeable problem with the reg?

I suggest you just have them put it back together with the old parts, if they didn't destroy them, pay them nothing, and bring it somewhere else where they might know what they're doing. Man am I glad I don't have to put up with crap like this. It would take a lot of fun out of being a diver.

If the regulator was working fine when you brought it in and now it doesn't work, who's fault is that? And why did you bring it in, was it because of the 'annual service' battle cry that's so common? Or was there a noticeable problem with the reg?

I suggest you just have them put it back together with the old parts, if they didn't destroy them, pay them nothing, and bring it somewhere else where they might know what they're doing. Man am I glad I don't have to put up with crap like this. It would take a lot of fun out of being a diver.
It had been like 2-3 years when I last serviced it so I wanted to bring it in just for time reasons.

I already bought a HOG D2 first stage. Luckily, 1 day delivery since I'm in FL.

I would definitely service my regs, but I live in an apartment without a car so I don't have the space to service my regs and easy access to an air supply :(

It had been like 2-3 years when I last serviced it so I wanted to bring it in just for time reasons.

I already bought a HOG D2 first stage. Luckily, 1 day delivery since I'm in FL.

I would definitely service my regs, but I live in an apartment without a car so I don't have the space to service my regs and easy access to an air supply :(

Me too, you don't need much space, I do mine on the kitchen bench, which isn't big, and rent a tank. It's certainly doable if you are so inclined and have someone who can help to pick up a tank.

Me too, you don't need much space, I do mine on the kitchen bench, which isn't big, and rent a tank. It's certainly doable if you are so inclined and have someone who can help to pick up a tank.
All local scuba shops closed down :| Closest one is like 30-45 minutes away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom