Question Skipping 1st stage Maintenance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There’s a catch though - the VESA QR adapter needs to be bought separately and one corner trimmed as seen in the pic. And you are better off buying it locally in your country and doing that bit - because I paid double price on Amazon for the same kit in my country.

View attachment 858956
If you have a decent number of opt-ins for the kit I can ask. But to be honest the only good reason you should do it that way would be because executing the same job in the USA would likely cost 2-3x more than here in my country even after factoring shipping cost. I think the individual is quite well off and a small one time order batch isn’t going to do much for him. Just let me know in any case and I will be more than happy to ensure it is packaged and shipped for you guys.
I was thinking the same about yhe VESA mount, I personally just need the custom frame itself (actually have an extra vesa mount and arm ready on my desk)
I’m game either way, could just go with the CAD and look for a shop here in Germany or chip for a batch — it’s not the cost/making money that counts for me here, it’s the possibility of getting it faster and also maintaining/rewarding the the labor and skills of the people :hail_marx:

Ok I will prepare a pdf assembly instruction manual with photographs and upload it together with the CAD drawings/files once I get my hands on them. Hopefully next week…

I mean.. maybe there’s even middle ground
For everyone interested:
It would be easier to convince a metal workshop to do a batch (and probably cheaper), and we can maybe pay some offset to the original designer to “license” it, also as appreciation for his work

Anyone in?
Why make this with metal? This seems like a good use case for a 3d printer with common and inexpensive plastic materials.

Not sure if plywood or plastic can hold the weight of the two gauges and last 20yrs or more without needing rework effort…

Edit: Also a certain minimum weight is required to be able to position the gauges exactly vertical and counteracting the spring loaded action of the VESA stand with just a flick of the hand (the default position is tilted). The Dwyer manual has a clear caveat that if the Magnahelic is not going to be mounted vertically then it should be mentioned before placing the order. So it’s not just about resetting the needle to 0 rather something about the diaphragm in the Magnahelic that needs adjusting in the factory before shipping… plastic or plywood may not provide the required weight force to position the VESA mount orientation exactly vertical in a stable manner…

Why make this with metal? This seems like a good use case for a 3d printer with common and inexpensive plastic materials.
vanity and liking the touch/looks of it; also it didn't come then to my melting in the sun brain -- if there is no batch run I would probably just do that

Not sure if plywood or plastic can hold the weight of the two gauges and last 20yrs or more without needing rework effort…

Edit: Also a certain minimum weight is required to be able to position the gauges exactly vertical and counteracting the spring loaded action of the VESA stand with just a flick of the hand (the default position is tilted). The Dwyer manual has a clear caveat that if the Magnahelic is not going to be mounted vertically then it should be mentioned before placing the order. So it’s not just about resetting the needle to 0 rather something about the diaphragm in the Magnahelic that needs adjusting in the factory before shipping… plastic or plywood may not provide the required weight force to position the VESA mount orientation exactly vertical in a stable manner…
question about that...
does that also apply to storage of the magnehelic? or just under operation?

*runs frantically to store it in a different pose*

question about that...
does that also apply to storage of the magnehelic? or just under operation?

*runs frantically to store it in a different pose*
It shouldn’t matter in storage is what is assumed. But suddenly I am humbled by your question and how easily I assumed I had everything covered - what if the diaphragm is permanently deformed over time by horizontal storage? I need to email Dwyer tech support now…

Edit: But then transportation in a box and long term storage in some dealer shop should also affect it …

This ain't rocket science. Dwyer factory mounts are flimsy aluminum. 3/8" plywood is far stronger.

You are correct about it needing to be vertical when using it.

Vis, hydro's, and reg service, are a money grab. Just because some jabrony messed himself up, or some people lack the ability to look in a tank and see it's dry, now all of us need to excessively service equipment?

The gear you rent, doesn't get serviced properly. Tanks out of vis and hydro. Regs and tank valves that look like they've been through ww2. Dry suit, haha, no. You're lucky if you even see a fresh tank o ring, and air that's clean.

If you have a competent dive shop that can actually service your regs properly, use them. If my regs are lightly used, I'll stretch out the service intervals for sure. For rec diving. I have an inline IP guage and tuner, and another little IP guage in my reg bag.

Carry a pony bottle if you're worried.

There's no guarantee that your LDS won't just make your regs worse when serviced. If your LDS looks dumpy, be skeptical.

But if you have a good shop, with reasonable rates handy, by all means take advantage of that.
Something I learned from my brother that I perform religiously after Every Dive, I drop my Tank, reg hooked up and pressure on, in a big Home Depot 50gal bin of fresh water. I soak it a couple of hours and fully flush my BCD with fresh water. It turns out, the salt water residue has the biggest effect on the seals/filter inside the reg. The salt crystals dry onto the seals and start to pit them. He has some reg's that still work fine from the 80's though I don't recommend using equipment that old.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom