Scubagaskets getting into the Reg business

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I sure hope that they would sell their regulator under a different name. "Scuba Gaskets" is a very silly name for a regulator to say the least.

Hey future EX friend Burhan

I have suggested this to them SG is ok but I suppose they should must sell their already printed stock off first

"Hey Man you wanna come over here and check out my new 'Scuba Gaskets' regs man ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!"

Maybe to them the name's perfect like their Greek food and hospitality most brilliant none better and Retsina

I sure hope that they would sell their regulator under a different name. "Scuba Gaskets" is a very silly name for a regulator to say the least.

"Hey Man you wanna come over here and check out my new 'Scuba Gaskets' regs man ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!"

Sorta just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?

It's just good to see other companies breaking the Scubapro "dealer only, secret service info" mold, now that computerized milling has leveled the playing field.
The traditional caveats apply: foreign sourcing, uncertain longevity, potential for corner cutting at either the specification level or third-party manufacturer level.

But Scubagaskets has steadily increased its presence over the last decade. It serves a European market that is heavily regulated by CE, and which surprisingly has minimal DIY assists, despite the ability of folks in the EU to, for example, buy Apeks kits direct. To the extent that new stuff is available to us, that's a good thing. They've got orings, hard parts, and now regs and tools!

But did you know, there's (up until now) NO PLACE where you can buy a double hook pick in Europe? More surprising, no one seems to have either heard of it or sees the utility. Even brass thin picks are not in the usual tool stores east of the Atlantic! I've tried four different tool suppliers, and no one's willing to make the effort to stock them. All the picks east of the Atlantic seem to be steel variants on dental probes. I'm kind of fed up watching hasty work with steel picks on not only YouTube, but even manufacturers' service tech seminar videos! And you wonder why we get regs back with outright leaks or IP drift...

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong! I've looked and looked... I'd LOVE to be mistaken. Somewhere there has to be a European scuba tool distributor with brass and double hook picks...

Anyway, Scubagaskets might be the first to soon carry a double hook pick and thin brass picks. Good for them!

As for their reg(s), one advantage is 316SS for longevity, strength and corrosion resistance. They've done an excellent job on quality of tooling/manufacture. The Mk10 design is proven. The potential for their next diaphragm model to be a strong alternative to the XTX50 is huge, especially given Apeks' seat and diaphragm issues. Can you imagine? A 316SS XTX50 with two second stages for the same price as an Apeks with just one 2nd?

And I really like the owner's attitude. He introduced the reg, but before he releases a service manual and parts, he is fine tuning a host of little things so that reliability will be a given. That's uncommon.

Competition is a good thing.

I can only see SS picks on their website.

I would like to have seen -000 O ring sizes assuming they are as opposed to measurements, only because it makes it easier for small brain folk like myself to source.

Looking at manual and schematic it has one point of tuning ala G250?

The model numbers are also way too confusing. Surely they can find someone with a bit of marketing sense about them?

@rsingler is there much difference between the SGS2 2nd stage, which comes with the SGT2 and the STG3 second stage which comes with the STG3 first stage? -1 for naming convention consistency

The model numbers are also way too confusing. Surely they can find someone with a bit of marketing sense about them?

@rsingler is there much difference between the SGS2 2nd stage, which comes with the SGT2 and the STG3 second stage which comes with the STG3 first stage? -1 for naming convention consistency
It's worse than that. They can't even get the models right in their own text.

"The SGS2T2 set contains 2 x 2nd stage SGS2 regulators with hoses 75cm- 95cm, 1 SGT2 1st stage, and SPG with HP hose"

versus

"The SGT2 2nd stage is a downstream balanced adjustable regulator." and "The SGS2 is a high-performance and fast-response balanced piston design first stage."

I think the latter 2 are correct. But the main listing for the set is the first one.

European o-ring and service part and tool provider Scubagaskets has just launched a new stainless steel balanced piston reg with turret.

It comes with a pair of adjustable second stages and an SPG. Price through the end of April is a very reasonable € 399. € 489 starting in May.

There's also an O2 Stage version with a single second stage and green trimmings for € 299. Finally they show an environmentally sealed diaphragm version "coming soon".

These look like fairly standard Taiwanese regs, which suggests good quality and reliability. The big deal is a stainless steel first stage at such a low price.

Edit. Not Taiwan, they are made in Guangdong, China. See @Tanks A Lot post below.
Why pay euro 300-400, I can buy these generic "store brand" regs for E 200 in many dive shops in Asia.

I'm not trying to curb the enthusiasm here, but this is by no means a new regulator. Hotdive has been selling this for a while, although I must admit I do not know if they are the OEM.

If the price is an advantage of course will depend on where you actually are.

Edit: Looking closer at it, it seems Hotdive is in fact the OEM.

Also the dust cap of the SGT2 clearly shows the Hotdive origin.
So why not just order Hotdive directly from Ali Baba or wherever? The shop I dive with ordered new sets of Hotdive BCDs last year...something like $150-$200 each and no difference from the big name brand BCDs. It's the same with my dive lights...$25-$50 from China vs. $200-$500 from Western brands made in the same factories.

But the popularity of Apeks regs completely dumbfounds me. The barrel stabilization of their second stages is flimsy. The HP seats had O2 problems. Their diaphragms leak.
I assume you are speaking of the MTX line for the barrel stabilization? I have a dozen or so TX50s and never had issues with those tabs bending or breaking free even with some being 20ish years old.

The MTX seems to be a cheap pile of crap in comparison.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom