Scubagaskets getting into the Reg business

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A hand impact driver will often remove stubborn inserts. They're pretty cheap too. I've seen them as cheap as $10, but this one on Amazon looks nice and it's only $20.

1723483625771.png

Would have cost you a fill and maybe a VIP, but wonder how it would work in the case of stuck DIN inserts to drain the cylinder, pull the valve, and let it spend some spa time in the ultrasonic cleaner?

Lanocote sounds a lot like Fluid film.
Do it prior to needing a vis, but that’s a good idea. On my valves, they had the 1/4” allen hole. I actually think it’s 7mm because 1/4” is just a bit sloppy. 1/4” would be 6.5mm. The allen key holes were already messed up so those inserts went into the trash. If I ever need inserts I’ll get the 5/16” ones.
I have another tank that has a full 5/16” allen hole and the wrench fits tight. That one came right out.

Here are the service manuals for the SGS2 and SGT2. Scubagaskets has indicated that they are available with the regulator, and parts will be sold direct to the consumer.

I'm currently evaluating the SGS3T3 as we speak. Think of the first stage as an Apeks XTX50/DST in stainless steel, with the optional fifth port included.

Attachments

• SGS2 First Stage Manual - final.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
  • SGT2 Second Stage Manual - final.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
I know nothing technically about its specs but I like the looks of that SGT3 :cool:
It’s basically like a MK 10, a simple and proven piston design. Some say that the MK10 was about the best that Scubapro ever got. This one is similar but has a hybrid piston edge that is flat, not rounded like a MK20 or sharp like a MK 5. So they incorporated the best of both designs.
I don’t know about flow rate, but pistons generally flow a hell of a lot just based on the free unlimited movement of the piston and the size of the orifice, the limiting factor is the movement of the spring. Unlike a diaphragm model, that is limited by the flexibility of the diaphragm both in diameter and thickness of material. Older diaphragms suffered because they were thicker with a smaller diameter due to the materials available at the time and it affected how far the seat could move away from the orifice to provide flow.
Now days diaphragms are worlds better because of stronger and better reinforced materials used for the diaphragm so they can make them wider and thinner for move movement while still being strong enough to withstand pressure. So a lot more flow rivaling a piston, but I’m still a piston fan just based on the absolute fool proof design and simplicity.
I don’t care that they are not sealed, I’ve never had a problem.

Looks like Fluid Film also uses lanolin for their base. No wonder I never see any rusty sheep running around, especially out on the coast!

I have used lanolin cut with isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle as case lube for reloading for years. Alcohol flashes off and leaves a nice thin coat behind.

Even further off topic; my cats are absolutely mesmerized by lanolin. They can't stop sniffing and rubbing in it. It's like catnip.....

You wouldn’t put it anywhere in the gas flow area or on the O-ring, just on the threads.
I do get that. My concern is that the oil will separate out and creep like a lot of thinner greases that I've seen and get into the gas path on the face side. Don't know - haven't used that stuff, although I may try it for other applications.

I'm a DIN guy anyway so I only put the inserts in for loans or when I swap a reg over for a trip and test.

Here are the service manuals for the SGS2 and SGT2. Scubagaskets has indicated that they are available with the regulator, and parts will be sold direct to the consumer.

I'm currently evaluating the SGS3T3 as we speak. Think of the first stage as an Apeks XTX50/DST in stainless steel, with the optional fifth port included.
reading the service manual I could almost guess which parts you contributed and hear some parts in your voice -- great work
look forward to getting my hand on it as well

is that HP seat btw o2 compatible? I couldn't tell that much except from generic data I could pull out on PFA (o2 index ~95%)
and by any chance it has the same OD as the mk10 one -- I could actually put some mk10s to good use then as deco regs

Back
Top Bottom