Scubagaskets getting into the Reg business

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Scubagaskets has been as good as their word! Over the last six months, they've sent me three different iterations of a reg that others have commented on, and have made factory changes in response to almost every comment I made. I am flabbergasted that they have been this responsive (and I'm willing to bet that the factory will add Scubagaskets' improvements to their own OEM base model).

I think the Scubagaskets S2T2 is ready to go!

Basically, you have a stainless steel flow-thru piston with a modified sharp knife edge and a machined HP piston shaft o-ring land that's similar to the old Mk10. I am actually happy to see that they didn't go with a rounded knife edge like the Mk25 and Atomic, as I am coming to believe that that's a source of mushy lockup from particulate scuffing of the knife edge as gas goes around the corner. The seal with the seat is crisp.
And by using a squared-off knife edge mating to a conical seat, you have a less delicate sealing edge that is easily dressed.
They've added shims for tuning, just like the Mk10/20, and as noted earlier, the machining is really superb.
The orings are high quality Scubagaskets o-rings rather than "other" imports, and the HP seat is a very nice Japanese component.

The second stage is a fairly standard barrel style design, with a case that surprisingly shows great flow characteristics on my bench. The barrel and lever are stainless (as are the hose ends!), so corrosion should be minimal, along with no dissimilar metals interaction in seawater. As with the first stage, threaded component machining is very smooth.

Best of all, they plan to sell service kits and parts direct to the owner. Although it's not sealed, it has a SPEC groove that would allow you to seal it if you wanted. But just like the Mk25, it's easily rinsed, and being stainless, should show great durability and resistance to retained particulates in the ambient chamber.

For the price, this 316SS variation on the venerable Mk10 is a slam dunk, IMO. For the record, I'm not a Scubagaskets spokesperson. I just emailed the owner when I first saw the ad, and volunteered to take a look at it since they were expanding from just o-rings to being a more comprehensive Scuba supply resource. I made it clear that I'd not hold back on criticism. I didn't have much to complain about, and found nothing substantial. But those guys responded to each and every minor comment, and this last reg iteration is a beauty.

For piston lovers, and especially DIY, I think this stainless steel reg set is a superb value. Heck, if you're not into service but think you want one, my NapaScuba LLC will service it for you going forward. And I see on Facebook that they're soliciting shops worldwide to become part of a service network, if they can prove their bonafides.

I'll admit, I was skeptical of Scubagaskets in years past. They always seemed to be bombing any thread with the word o-ring in it. But bit by bit, they have grown their business, and are now almost the ONLY European provider of double hook picks for DIY technicians (not to mention shops). My conversations with the owner convince me that he is dedicated to providing value, and getting into the cutthroat reg business with a model that supports DIY is good for European divers. If it's avaliable in the US at reasonable cost, that sort of competition is only good. And I say that as a die-hard Deep6 fan. But their drop-ship fixed price worldwide distribution model would seem to make that feasible for the US as well.

Are they going to get started on a diaphragm first stage now?

I'd love to see a compact first stage with an LP bottom port. Stainless steel would be a bonus. I don't think we need yet another iteration of the HOG/Deep6/DGX turret reg. Well, maybe Europe does.

Not to rain on you, @lowwall , but if you were getting into the reg business, would you do it with an unproven completely new design?

I just received their S3, which is much like the Apeks DST, but in 316SS. So it's not "compact", tho' it does have a bottom port.

But the popularity of Apeks regs completely dumbfounds me. The barrel stabilization of their second stages is flimsy. The HP seats had O2 problems. Their diaphragms leak.

If Scubagaskets can fix all that and do it in 316SS to boot, I think they have a shot at taking on one of the tech big guns. Maybe then they can make you a new compact diaphragm. Sorry, @lowwall!

The obvious question is will they come up with a SPEC boot :wink:

I too would like to see a stainless compact diaphragm but don’t care about a bottom port.

Stainless and parts availability are definitely positive steps.

Not to rain on you, @lowwall , but if you were getting into the reg business, would you do it with an unproven completely new design?
Surely there is something lurking in the catalogues of the big reg ODMs that can be used? I'll settle for EN250A certification, no need for NORSOK 200m :)

But, yeah I can see from a business point of view that it might be a very good time to be introducing an improved Apeks lookalike. Especially in Europe.

The obvious question is will they come up with a SPEC boot :wink:
Can't you get around 100 of them from a bicycle innertube? Pick up a pound of lard or Crisco and you are set for life. :wink:

As @happy-diver would say,
“Brilliant!!”
I think I’m in.
Parts to the end user, similar to the MK10, built for piston lovers, shims, what’s not to love?❤️
Maybe you can use your super influencer powers to convince them to make a modern all metal second stage similar to a 1085 but balanced like a G250??
Then the entirety of the obsessed scuba world would be their oyster, and you would be exalted to the next level of scuba regulator god.
To be honest, if I could get something like that made out of 316 I wouldn’t care what it costs.

@Scubagaskets has been as good as their word! Over the last six months, they've sent me three different iterations of a reg that others have commented on, and have made factory changes in response to almost every comment I made. I am flabbergasted that they have been this responsive (and I'm willing to bet that the factory will add Scubagaskets' improvements to their own OEM base model).

I think the Scubagaskets S2T2 is ready to go!

Basically, you have a stainless steel flow-thru piston with a modified sharp knife edge and a machined HP piston shaft o-ring land that's similar to the old Mk10. I am actually happy to see that they didn't go with a rounded knife edge like the Mk25 and Atomic, as I am coming to believe that that's a source of mushy lockup from particulate scuffing of the knife edge as gas goes around the corner. The seal with the seat is crisp.
And by using a squared-off knife edge, you have a less delicate sealing edge that is easily dressed.
They've added shims for tuning, just like the Mk10/20, and as noted earlier, the machining is really superb.
The orings are high quality Scubagaskets o-rings rather than "other" imports, and the HP seat is a very nice Japanese component.

The second stage is a fairly standard barrel style design, with a case that surprisingly shows great flow characteristics on my bench. The barrel and lever are stainless (as are the hose ends!), so corrosion should be minimal, along with no dissimilar metals interaction in seawater. As with the first stage, threaded component machining is very smooth.

Best of all, they plan to sell service kits and parts direct to the owner. Although it's not sealed, it has a SPEC groove that would allow you to seal it if you wanted. But just like the Mk25, it's easily rinsed, and being stainless, should show great durability and resistance to retained particulates in the ambient chamber.

For the price, this 316SS variation on the venerable Mk10 is a slam dunk, IMO. For the record, I'm not a Scubagaskets spokesperson. I just emailed the owner when I first saw the ad, and volunteered to take a look at it since they were expanding from just o-rings to being a more comprehensive Scuba supply resource. I made it clear that I'd not hold back on criticism. I didn't have much to complain about, and found nothing substantial. But those guys responded to each and every minor comment, and this last reg iteration is a beauty.

For piston lovers, and especially DIY, I think this stainless steel reg set is a superb value. Heck, if you're not into service but think you want one, my NapaScuba LLC will service it for you going forward. And I see on Facebook that they're soliciting shops worldwide to become part of a service network, if they can prove their bonafides.

I'll admit, I was skeptical of Scubagaskets in years past. They always seemed to be bombing any thread with the word o-ring in it. But bit by bit, they have grown their business, and are now almost the ONLY European provider of double hook picks for DIY technicians (not to mention shops). My conversations with the owner convince me that he is dedicated to providing value, and getting into the cutthroat reg business with a model that supports DIY is good for European divers. If it's avaliable in the US at reasonable cost, that sort of competition is only good. And I say that as a die-hard Deep6 fan. But their drop-ship fixed price worldwide distribution model would seem to make that feasible for the US as well.
That is all awesome news, here’s to hoping they will sell these sharp edge pistons as well in their portfolio, along with some o2 clean service kits (pr at lest just the seats)

That is all awesome news, here’s to hoping they will sell these sharp edge pistons as well in their portfolio, along with some o2 clean service kits (pr at lest just the seats)
Yes, they will sell you replacement parts. But please note, this is not a Mk10 piston. Although the head diameter is the same, the piston shaft length is different.

Yes, they will sell you replacement parts. But please note, this is not a Mk10 piston. Although the head diameter is the same, the piston shaft length is different.
Awesome, I got enough mk5/10s to scavenge from and keep them running or watch them turn to pluses (if I don’t hurt that piston shaft land myself and render it door stop)

Just thinking of the future if I put some investment into a few of the new SS kid on the block

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom