Scubagaskets getting into the Reg business

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Next dive will be 8/18 at Stillwater Cove removing more purps, and the SGS2/SGT2 will be employed once again, in the harsh conditions of Northern California beach diving.
If you’re not doing anything join us!
Last Sunday we got 1,683 lbs.

I do get that. My concern is that the oil will separate out and creep like a lot of thinner greases that I've seen and get into the gas path on the face side. Don't know - haven't used that stuff, although I may try it for other applications.

I'm a DIN guy anyway so I only put the inserts in for loans or when I swap a reg over for a trip and test.
If you’re a DIN guy then you have no worries.
But for discussion sake, if Lanocoat is on the threads of the insert only, not the O-ring or in any part of the gas path, how would pressure squeeze Lanocoat into the gas path when the pressure should be pushing it away? And the pressure has to get past the O-ring, so does the O-ring leak as well? It shouldn’t.
All Lanocoat will to is protect the threads from salt water corrosion from the outside in my estimation.

If you’re a DIN guy then you have no worries.
But for discussion sake, if Lanocoat is on the threads of the insert only, not the O-ring or in any part of the gas path, how would pressure squeeze Lanocoat into the gas path when the pressure should be pushing it away? And the pressure has to get past the O-ring, so does the O-ring leak as well? It shouldn’t.
All Lanocoat will to is protect the threads from salt water corrosion from the outside in my estimation.
Not trying to be a jerk, and admitting it might not be a problem, but the mechanism that I'm thinking about is that the lanolin oil separates out of the thicker carrier and oozes/creeps out of the threads and onto the outside-face of the insert. If it gets to/inside the external yoke o-ring, it would be in the gas path. Not a pressure thing - more of a handling issue.

A tank sitting in the hot sun is going to get pretty warm and help to thin things out.

I keep my grease-guns in a plastic tray because a lot of greases separate out and the more liquid components get everywhere! Anti-seizes separate in the jar. I couldn't find any detail on the composition beyond containing lanolin so I admit I Ass_U_Me certain things. :wink:

Just musing .... Engineers' Disease - dissect everything to see how how they work/fail.

Not trying to be a jerk, and admitting it might not be a problem, but the mechanism that I'm thinking about is that the lanolin oil separates out of the thicker carrier and oozes/creeps out of the threads and onto the outside-face of the insert. If it gets to/inside the external yoke o-ring, it would be in the gas path. Not a pressure thing.

A tank sitting in the hot sun is going to get pretty warm and help to thin things out.

I keep my grease-guns in a plastic tray because a lot of greases separate out and the more liquid components get everywhere! Anti-seizes separate in the jar. I couldn't find any detail on the composition beyond containing lanolin so I admit I Ass_U_Me certain things. :wink:

Just musing .... Engineers' Disease - dissect everything to see how how they work/fail.

I wouldn't put anything with lanolin near rubber seals.

I have a bit of a story here, I was trying to keep the interior of my aluminum bike rims from corroding from winter road salt and tried a few products. I kept getting random flats. Turns out the lanolin in the anti-corrosion coating after a number of weeks was migrating to the innertube and weakening the rubber.

I ended up settling on using a silicone spray that is less durable but it rubber safe.

I'd say there is some truth to it being a possibility..(probability unknown tho)
oozes/creeps out of the threads and onto the outside-face of the insert
I deliberatliy used that same mechanism for my advantage in a whole other context -- trying to basically dissolve some stuck/wornout chassis groumets on the other side of an engine heat shield; ofcourse I was using straight up solvents, with intensity 😅

any chance it has the same OD as the mk10 one?
Alas, no. The two seats are not interchangeable.
And the spring constant is different, as well. I was kindof hoping we had a new source for Mk10 springs, but no.

Come on boys how many more times do I have to say

007.JPG

Put away your allen keys, and go grab some of, these

IMG_3302.JPG

Are they, are they not on Singlers List, surely he jests

Get some Allen sockets and handle they are the best

Alas, no. The two seats are not interchangeable.
And the spring constant is different, as well. I was kindof hoping we had a new source for Mk10 springs, but no.
ah well, then sts2 will have to take over then🤷🏽‍♀️

Probably should start another thread in the DIY section about this; now I am considering how to get PFA seats made for the mk10s 🤔 -- maybe mk5/10 lovers out there can "pool the ante" on a big batch of this... maybe even arrange with SG something like that

Never been to Tanzania?
Gibbs-Farm-Red-Maasai-Sheep-4-1024x679.jpg

Not trying to be a jerk, and admitting it might not be a problem, but the mechanism that I'm thinking about is that the lanolin oil separates out of the thicker carrier and oozes/creeps out of the threads and onto the outside-face of the insert. If it gets to/inside the external yoke o-ring, it would be in the gas path. Not a pressure thing - more of a handling issue.

I would just make sure the outside part is wiped clean. I don’t know how runny Lanocote gets in the sun, but I could find out. I would worry about it just using air.

Man I use M111 on all my threads OUTBOARD sealing orings regs O2 clean everything
So I can open everything up, after a few months, of ocean bashing like you, even more

Man that lano stuff stinks like 100 year old rotting shearing sheds
Took me ten yrs, to work up the courage to finish one can, only thing worse is gear oil

I just read my allen socket attempted rhyming post up there I should take up drinking

Back
Top Bottom