ankle weight question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beezwax:
that last is an interesting thread. Most folks seem to think that gaiters help to keep your trim right by keeping the air out of the legs. They also say they're a better option than ankle weights. But they also say you don't really need either, that you can learn to control your trim without them. I guess if you can't say it better at least say it again.

They said the earth was flat too, that man would never fly, that global warming doesn't exist. THEY are foolish, you seem to be following in good company.

CIBDiving:
Glad you liked it :) I notice you can't dispute it though.
some socks...adding up to a couple of pounds of displacement. Defies the laws of physics. I don't have to dispute anything. It just proves how little you really know.

JeffG:
some socks...adding up to a couple of pounds of displacement. Defies the laws of physics. I don't have to dispute anything. It just proves how little you really know.

and how will that defy the laws of physics, EH?
before you start something that will prove you're a fool, you best try the experiment.
take a pair of thick socks and see how much it takes to sink em. I have a pair here that needs over a pound ( but less than 2 ).

CIBDiving:
before you start something that will prove you're a fool, you best try the experiment.
take a pair of thick socks and see how much it takes to sink em. I have a pair here that needs over a pound ( but less than 2 ).
How about that you join us in So Cal and I can mentor you and teach you how to wean yourself off those ankle weights.

and I guess you can bring your socks that displace somewhere between 1/2 litre to 1 litre of volume. :wink:

CIBDiving:
And since when has a Scuba manufacturer EVER worried about telling the truth or really solving the problem that would cost them a sale?

It obvious you "can't even begin to imagine what would be causing these people to have floating legs" - I've told you why - because the amount of air trapped by the insulation is making them positive. It's not a temperary problem, a 'bubble' of air doesn't move into or out of the boots, at least no more than in Any suit.

You are right, and all the tech dive companies are greedy and/or ignorant. So I was about to order a set of ankle weights just now before I thought, hmm, what pack of lies are these manufacturers gonna tell me just to move that crappy product? They're not gonna use my wallet to turn more lead into gold!

CIBDiving:
They said the earth was flat too, that man would never fly, that global warming doesn't exist. THEY are foolish, you seem to be following in good company.

Yes, I've always felt it was sound policy to trust neither logic, nor my own observation, nor the authority of those with greater experience. And with that the defense rests. :wink:

beezwax:
Yes, I've always felt it was sound policy to trust neither logic, nor my own observation, nor the authority of those with greater experience. And with that the defense rests. :wink:
Well...he does have socks that wouldn't fit in a milk carton. I guess he must have big feet. LOL

(Actually I wear a size 14, so I know how it goes. Sure is going to be lame having to make all my own gear though now that I can't trust any manufacturers...) :snore:

CIBDiving:
So lets talk about this.

Lets say you have these very buoyant socks. (I have 400 gm DUI socks..probably the most buoyant around and they would be close to what you claim.) But here's the trick....it doesn't matter. Its not like you have only socks on...your entire "system/undies" is more buoyant. So your "front" end would actually displace more that the "end" part. (This comes from the idea that your chest area covers a greater area than you feet.)

If you need help with this concept...I would be glad to mentor you.

Wait... I missed the part about the physics? so if the turtle has ankle weights and is crosing the chanel at 7 knots and a Dry suit tec diver w/o the ankle weights is riding a scooter at 17 knots, sees the turtle 30 meters out and hits the breaks with a leaded tube sock, does the turtle get creamed by the scooter? ....
This has to have been the most entertaining argument I have read in a while...busting out the physics texts...lol...good stuff... so what was the census? yes on the wieghts??? j/k

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom