ankle weight question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronrosa:
What I find weird is the people that are anti ankle weight keep talking about how the extra weight of the ankle weight is bad because of the extra work/strain involved. A lot of these people use jet fins. Seems like their argument against ankle weights also applies to jet fins. :06:
Jet Fin <> Other fin + 2 lb weight

JeffG:
Jet Fin <> Other fin + 2 lb weight

I would have to agree here, the jets wouldn't be as heavy, nor as cumbersome. I personally found a hugh difference when I ditched the ankle weights. They are not required, in fact I think they are more of a hazard that anything. if the snap breaks and you lose 2.5 lbs, that can be important weight required for asscent and deco. I plan my dives so that at my 20 ft stop, I am completely neutral with no air in my suit or bc, which you should be, to lose an ankle weight here could be tragic. To fix you trim, shift your tanks. Sheding weight off your belt by using a v weight makes a big difference as well.

Being as impatient as I am I haven't waded through everyone's opinion, but here's mine (heh):
Yes, as you convert what may be fatty tissue into muscle, your legs may become more negative. If you are comfortable as it is now without using ankle weights, I'd suggest you not worry about them and just continue to work on your trim.
That being said however, if you are really more comfortable getting a pair, by all means do it. Just continue to try to work past it. It never hurts having ankle weights. They're versatile, so that you can toss one on a tank if you are feeling a little underweighted due to a new sweater or a big turkey dinner, in the future.

JOE G:
I would have to agree here, the jets wouldn't be as heavy, nor as cumbersome. I personally found a hugh difference when I ditched the ankle weights. They are not required, in fact I think they are more of a hazard that anything. if the snap breaks and you lose 2.5 lbs, that can be important weight required for asscent and deco. I plan my dives so that at my 20 ft stop, I am completely neutral with no air in my suit or bc, which you should be, to lose an ankle weight here could be tragic. To fix you trim, shift your tanks. Sheding weight off your belt by using a v weight makes a big difference as well.

blasphemy

ronrosa:
What I find weird is the people that are anti ankle weight keep talking about how the extra weight of the ankle weight is bad because of the extra work/strain involved. A lot of these people use jet fins. Seems like their argument against ankle weights also applies to jet fins. :06:

Hmmm, not really weird. Many people using ankle weights will use a flutter kick where the ankle moves a lot.

When I wear my jets (which is not always!), I normally offset the negative buoyancy by trapping a small amount of air in my drysuit legs and tend to use a small frog kick, literally just moving the fins from the ankle and moving them horizontally. Trying to compare the two is a bit of an apples vs oranges calculation....

AndyNZ:
Hmmm, not really weird. Many people using ankle weights will use a flutter kick where the ankle moves a lot.

When I wear my jets (which is not always!), I normally offset the negative buoyancy by trapping a small amount of air in my drysuit legs and tend to use a small frog kick, literally just moving the fins from the ankle and moving them horizontally. Trying to compare the two is a bit of an apples vs oranges calculation....

So because you use two different kicks for the two scenarios its apples and oranges? That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Admittedly, I have not read all the posts on this thread, but I was thinking about getting ankle weights too. I wear 5 mil boots (size 13) that are buoyant as hell. What would be wrong with a little weight on them? My feet are constantly hitting the tops of swimthroughs.

LuvWarmH2O, I think the pros/cons from what I gather(havn't used them):
Pros: If they make diving easier and more enjoyable, go for 'em

Cons:
They cover up issues instead of building tecnique
They can be dangerous in the sense if you loose em and become positivly bouyent(although that really seems to go for all weights to me)
They may tire you out quicker because you are moving more wieght with a flutter kick.

I think beezwax was a little right though, asking it again like that is like breaking up a fight on jerry springer and then yelling "ho."

I know it's a long read, but it is funny watching them bicker...

I am not an expert, but it seems they are more intended for dry suit divers, air bubles can get trapped in the feet and we end up up-side-down, I personally believe in better control... When I dove wet, my feet were a little bouyent, I just delt with it though. I think the training wheel analogy was a good one, you'll want to take 'em off eventually but if it gets you going, have fun.

CD_in_Chitown:
So because you use two different kicks for the two scenarios its apples and oranges? That doesn't make a lot of sense.

ok, let me rephrase my opinion.... we are generalising a lot about using ankle weights without knowing the full story for a specific instance.

the "impact" of ankle weights will depend a lot on whether a person is diving wet or dry, what style of fin kick they prefer, whether they are a lazy finner or turbo-charged rocket etc etc.

the same applies to the use of negatively bouyant fins. for example, i don't use my jet fins when diving wet, they are just plain too heavy and i find it hard to stay in trim. even diving dry, i find the flutter kick an effort with jet fins (buoyancy characteristic or fin design? probably both) but using a small frog kick is virtually no effort.

so how noticeable having either heavy fins or ankle weights is depends very much on how you dive. does that make more sense?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom