ankle weight question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG:
I think it would really help CIBDiving, if he took a DIR-f class to clear up these misconceptions he has about diving.

Actually Jeff you did mention DIR...

Maybe I'm confusing the actual debate that is mixed in with all the brawling going on here...

beezwax:
Actually Jeff you did mention DIR...
Not in the context of using ankle weights.

JeffG:
Not in the context of using ankle weights.

I thought the "need" for ankle weights was the misconception you were referring to. Was it the sock debate then? Btw, what is the correct DIR foot apparel-- black crew socks perhaps? Would my white ankle socks get me shunned? I'd hate to think that in a hyper-bouyant foot emergency my dive buddy would not know what kind of insulator I've got on and be unable to lend immediate assistance.... :D

His comment about how CIB might benefit from a DIR class was a result of the comments made (by CIB) that by changing his socks, his weight and trim get out of wack.

Jason B:
by changing his socks, his weight and trim get out of wack.

obviously he is not diving the standard issue black knee-high woolies.

JeffG:

I know you're joking but last summer I went diving with someone who forgot to bring her dive boots and so really did use her sandals inside her fins. FYI, it doesn't work well.

JeffG:
Everything I talked about had nothing to do with DIR. You are the one that brought that up.

I never said you couldn't do it (use ankle weights). All I said is that you don't need them.

If that is to confusing for you, I could try it again by speaking slower.

You should start by reading slower, and actually thinking before you reply. You brought up DIR. I referenced it because it's a symptom of your problem.

You still have not answered my question. If ankle weights cause the problems you described, how do we execute dives as sucessfully as those who do not wear ankle weights? Same air remaining, same pace on the dive, same everything.....

Once again Jeff, we're waiting.....put up or shut up.

--Matt

matt_unique:
You should start by reading slower, and actually thinking before you reply. You brought up DIR. I referenced it because it's a symptom of your problem.

You still have not answered my question. If ankle weights cause the problems you described, how do we execute dives as sucessfully as those who do not wear ankle weights? Same air remaining, same pace on the dive, same everything.....

Once again Jeff, we're waiting.....put up or shut up.

--Matt
Reading comprehension isn't your gig is it?

I never said that using them would stop a person from doing a dive. I just said you don't need them.

matt_unique:
If ankle weights cause the problems you described, how do we execute dives as sucessfully as those who do not wear ankle weights? Same air remaining, same pace on the dive, same everything.....

I used ankle weights once....did I notice a difference in feel and did my legs feel a little more tired at the end of the dive? Yes. Did I still get a full dive in and end with a normal remaining pressure? Yes. Was I working very hard on that dive? No. Would I continue to wear ankle weights if I couldn't figure out how to keep the air out of my legs some other way? Yes. Would I wear them when I jump into the Mississippi here for a dive? No. About fifty posts ago TimAZ mentioned that the impact of ankle weights increases significantly when the diver needs or wants to fin harder. If you're doing a normal relaxing swim, the weights are probably not going to cause any noticable difference, other than a little better workout for your legs. But I wouldn't do a current dive with them....

Back
Top Bottom