ankle weight question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHorseWoman

Contributor
Reaction score
I live in the middle of Israel and dive in the Red
# of dives
50 - 99
Last time diving, about 2 weeks ago (sigh, it feels like years), my instructor suggested that my legs were a bit floaty, and I might want to try 1lb ankle weights. My bouancy is generally OK now, so we're working on trim. Since then I've started working out at the gym regularly, cardio and weight training. Question is this: can increasing muscle mass below the waist in proportion to my upper body solve this problem?

You can use your muscles in you legs to keep them down with a conscience effort at first. It will come natural. Of you could try negatively bouyant fins.

The only people that use ankle weight that I know are diving dry.

It's all about displacement. what kind of fins do you use? IIMO ankle lbs are a crutch. maybe bring you tank down a bit.

m3830431:
You can use your muscles in you legs to keep them down with a conscience effort at first. It will come natural. Of you could try negatively bouyant fins.

The only people that use ankle weight that I know are diving dry.

Is ti possible I'm arching my back too much? Not doing it would involve a conscience effort.

shrswnm:
I'm using split fins, which I love. I get leg cramps with anything heavier. I'll try lowering the tank a bit.

If they're twin-jets, you can change colors. All the colored fins including gray are positively buoyant. The black fins are slightly negative. If you haven't used them very much, some dealers will swap them out for you.

Web Monkey:
If they're twin-jets, you can change colors. All the colored fins including gray are positively buoyant. The black fins are slightly negative. If you haven't used them very much, some dealers will swap them out for you.

Mine are black.

But nobody answered my original question: does relative muscle mass make a difference for floaty legs?
It seems to me it might as muscle weighs more than fat. Am I thinking correctly?

Well, I have no answer to the original question, but I would think so, because muscle mass anywhere reduces boyancy. I am one person who does not dive dry to uses the "crutch" of ankle weights, and am not ashamed. My feet are quite boyant for some reason, and the boots I have have the cushioned soles ( which are cushioned with air of all things). I hope that one day I won't need them, I would like to use as little weights anywhere as I can manage, but I can't see the shame in ankle weights.....its just placing my wieght where it helps most

skybird:
Well, I have no answer to the original question, but I would think so, because muscle mass anywhere reduces boyancy. I am one person who does not dive dry to uses the "crutch" of ankle weights, and am not ashamed. My feet are quite boyant for some reason, and the boots I have have the cushioned soles ( which are cushioned with air of all things). I hope that one day I won't need them, I would like to use as little weights anywhere as I can manage, but I can't see the shame in ankle weights.....its just placing my wieght where it helps most

There is no shame in using any and all available tools to improve our diving. I'm trying to find the best and most comfortable way for me.

Yes, more muscle mass in your legs will make them less buoyant. You don't have to wait for the muscle to build up, you can put your legs were you want them, you are not an inanimate object.

Ankle weights are rarely a good idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom