ankle weight question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first dry suit dive I did I had the usual fun adventure of dealing with the moving air bubble in the suit. I quickly found myself suspended upside down, with all the air in my legs, feeling stupid and annoyed. For the second dive, I borrowed someone's ankle weights. It kept my feet down, the air up around my torso, and my position horizontal...problem solved. From my third dive on, I determined to achieve that same result without relying on ankle weights just by learing to control the bubble. It really isn't that hard. I think some people consider them a "crutch" because they allow you get away without really learning this bubble control. The main argument I've heard against them is that it decreases your efficiency. Obviously if every time you raise a foot to kick you also have to move an extra two pounds you will tire more quickly. It's the same reason why people add ankle/wrist weights when they run or walk, for a harder workout....and we all know scuba is NOT meant to be exercise in that sense.

boulderjohn:
People start with good position, and then as soon as they start to become positively buoyant, the knees suddenly flex toward 90 degrees. The legs are no more buoyant at that point than they were a second before when they were perfectly straight.

While the buoyancy of the legs hasn't changed the Effect of that bouyancy on the trim is lessened by bending the leg, or don't you dive a dry suit?

Walter:
On a dive, you are constantly moving your legs. Ankle weights unnecessarily add to your workload. Your air consumption will suffer and you can suffer from CO2 buildup. The bottom line is, it's simply not necessary, we can put our legs where we want them.

Most of the time a person has "floaty legs" they are not floaty at all, the diver is either underweighted or has too much air in their BC..

I can accept that reasoning. It's possible my instructor was watching my legs go up when I had too much air in my BC. I'm a new diver with slow learning body memory, so I wind up messing with the BC alot, sometimes when I should be using breathing control for bouyancy. I'll work on it.

Walter:
I don't remember mentioning a 4 hour dive in this thread.

It's in your profile---not of this thread, but while we're dialoging, I was curious.

I am sorry, It seems that the word (crutch) was a bad choice. I have seen a lot of instructors tell students that have buoyancy issues to pile on the lbs. its an easy answer instead of working on the issue. I dive dry and I use no lbs or gators. I try to practice my bouyancy in the 15 to 20 foot range. This is the hardest place to control buoyancy IMO.

shrswnm:
It's in your profile---not of this thread, but while we're dialoging, I was curious.

It is? I don't see it. I also see people referring to numbers of dives in profiles, I don't see that either. Where are you looking?

August 19, 1998, max depth 18 feet, I was wearing double 72s, with no weight and no exposure suit, viz was between 5 and 10 feet, I was diving solo while searching for fossils at Venice Beach. I found over 300 shark teeth including one 1½ inch Carcharodon megalodon. I actually ended my dive because I didn't want anyone calling 911 about the dive flag that had been sitting there for too long.

On my previous dive (3 days before) I had found over 300 teeth including a 4 inch Carcharodon megalodon during 3 hours 12 minutes underwater. The 4 inch tooth is perfect in every way and still the prize of my collection.

Walter:
It is? I don't see it. I also see people referring to numbers of dives in profiles, I don't see that either. Where are you looking?
I think it depends on which skin you are using. I use the classic and I don't see that stuff either.

Walter:
They need a new doctor.

A new 'guru' wouldn't hurt either, this ones got brown eyes.

Walter:
On a dive, you are constantly moving your legs. Ankle weights unnecessarily add to your workload. Your air consumption will suffer and you can suffer from CO buildup. The bottom line is, it's simply not necessary, we can put our legs where we want them.

Prove That.

Walter:
Most of the time a person has "floaty legs" they are not floaty at all, the diver is either underweighted or has too much air in their BC.

Or a 'guru' with his head firmly implanted were the sun doesn't shine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom