ankle weight question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CIBDiving:
....You can easily get foot heavy- add insulation up high and/or remove it from the legs. But if you want minimal lead on you AND warm feet - ankle weights are the best freind you got.

yes yes I know how it works with the loft of your insulating garments and where/how much air it traps. It's true you could put on another pair of socks for warmth, and then weights to sink your legs. But you're still gaining that at the cost of the extra load, and I still don't feel like that's necessary. You can learn to control your suit and the air pocket and trim. I often add a second pair of socks when it's really cold, but I don't add extra lead just for that.

It feels like this horse is long dead, but I just wanted to add: dry suit GAITERS. The only reason they sell such things is to restrict the movement of air into your lower legs/feet. Because it's the MOVEMENT of the air bubble, pocket, whatever you want to call it into your feet that screws up your bouyancy/trim, not the loft of your undergarment (I know air is what keeps the cold out, but the amount trapped by your socks is not what causes floaty legs). So if someone's having trouble with this, they could gain the same advantage as the ankle weights by using gaiters and not have the disadvantage of the extra load on their kicks.

ronrosa:
What's the difference between negatively buoyant fins like the Jets and neutral or positively buoyant fins with ankle weights ? :06:
no one has answered this one yet...

Damselfish:
no one has answered this one yet...

If the weight in each case summed up the same, any differences would probably be negligible. You could theorize that ankle weights might disrupt you hydrodynamic flow a tiny bit more, although if anything the difference would probably be felt in the fact that the negatively bouyant fins are distributing the same weight over a larger area and also a bit further out from the fulcrum on your two levers. I'd guess it would be a personal preference as to which would feel better.

beezwax:
It feels like this horse is long dead, but I just wanted to add: dry suit GAITERS. The only reason they sell such things is to restrict the movement of air into your lower legs/feet. Because it's the MOVEMENT of the air bubble, pocket, whatever you want to call it into your feet that screws up your bouyancy/trim, not the loft of your undergarment (I know air is what keeps the cold out, but the amount trapped by your socks is not what causes floaty legs). So if someone's having trouble with this, they could gain the same advantage as the ankle weights by using gaiters and not have the disadvantage of the extra load on their kicks.

I rather agree about the horse, But you're worng.
About gaiters and about trim. Once you have tried all other options and your feet still float ( and there are a number of people that that happens to ) ankle weights are the answer. If you continuously get a bubble of air going to your feet and need gaiters to control that THEN you have a problem of overinflation and while ankle weights might mask that problem by keeping you feet down, they are NOT the correct answer but that's another thing altogether.

beezwax:
but the amount trapped by your socks is not what causes floaty legs
I must ask Then What does cause "floaty" legs? If it's not the air in the suit then what?

CIBDiving:
...Once you have tried all other options and your feet still float ( and there are a number of people that that happens to ) ankle weights are the answer...

Well, I've already given my two cents on how/why I think divers get caught with their pants up. The only thing this is accomplishing now is to increase my post count. I can't even begin to imagine what would be causing these people to have floating legs, if not for the air pocket moving south. Perhaps they have incredibly obese ankles? Anyway, don't take my word for it. Here are a few manufacturer descriptions as to the function of their gaiters:

Dive Rite
Dive Rite drysuit gaiters, made of heavy-duty CORDURA for durability, keep air movement in your drysuit legs to a minimum. Less air movement means you have less drag during fin kicks and easier buoyancy trim management.

OMS
OMS ® gaiters restrict the air holding capacity in the lower leg area reducing drag, and the possibility of diver inversion due to lower leg air entrapment.

Halcyon
Gator Wraps provide dry suit divers with extra comfort, increased safety, and reduced drag by limiting airflow to your feet. Rugged Cordura construction and double Velcro Gator Closure make the Halcyon Gators as tough as they are functional. Now you can gain the same high performance advantage as leading exploration divers. From cave to wreck, technical divers will find Gator Wraps a welcome alternative to cumbersome ankle weights and bulky dry suit legs.

CIBDiving:
Put on thick socks because your feet tend to get cold and you can change your trim by a couple of pounds!
LOL

Here's a couple previous threads...I think I've got the consensus of board members too:

air in feet problem:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=14379

and gaiters:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=28970

that last is an interesting thread. Most folks seem to think that gaiters help to keep your trim right by keeping the air out of the legs. They also say they're a better option than ankle weights. But they also say you don't really need either, that you can learn to control your trim without them. I guess if you can't say it better at least say it again.

beezwax:
..... I can't even begin to imagine what would be causing these people to have floating legs, if not for the air pocket moving south. Perhaps they have incredibly obese ankles? Anyway, don't take my word for it. Here are a few manufacturer descriptions as to the function of their gaiters:

And since when has a Scuba manufacturer EVER worried about telling the truth or really solving the problem that would cost them a sale?

It obvious you "can't even begin to imagine what would be causing these people to have floating legs" - I've told you why - because the amount of air trapped by the insulation is making them positive. It's not a temperary problem, a 'bubble' of air doesn't move into or out of the boots, at least no more than in Any suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom