Amed Family Vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomh1972

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All. Looking for thoughts on our planned family vacation to Indo coming up in March/April.

We're a family of 5 -- two divers and three non-diving snorkelers. Oldest boy (14) and I dive; Wife, Girl (14) and youngest boy (10) snorkel and swim and generally relax. I've got around 200 dives in varied conditions (Caribbean, Maldives, Fl. Keys, inland). Son was just certified in Cayman, and did quite well.

We are planning to stay 8 nights in Amed at a beachfront villa (Aquamarine Beach Villas), after spending a day in singapore (travelling from East Coast US). Haven't selected a Dive Op yet, so looking forward to suggestions/thoughts on that. Afterward, we are considering a few days in Bunaken. I've heard most folks got to Komodo after Bali, but not sure that my son is ready for that high-current drift diving yet.

Any thoughts/recommendations on that plan? Is Amed comfortable enough for the non-divers for 8 nights? Will the Amed Dive Ops do day trips to Nusa Penida for Manta Point (I assume that they will all be doing trips up to tulamben as well)?

Thanks!
Tom

There is a lot to dissect in your post...

I would be interested to hear why you zeroed in on Amed, what kind of diving you are looking for, and what you hope for the non-divers while you are gone.

All the dive ops will arrange a trip to Manta Point for you, Amed is a small place but some beautiful day trips are available. I recently purchased a dive resort in Amed, happy to help out with what you need and also advise on other reputable operators there .
Hi All. Looking for thoughts on our planned family vacation to Indo coming up in March/April.

We're a family of 5 -- two divers and three non-diving snorkelers. Oldest boy (14) and I dive; Wife, Girl (14) and youngest boy (10) snorkel and swim and generally relax. I've got around 200 dives in varied conditions (Caribbean, Maldives, Fl. Keys, inland). Son was just certified in Cayman, and did quite well.

We are planning to stay 8 nights in Amed at a beachfront villa (Aquamarine Beach Villas), after spending a day in singapore (travelling from East Coast US). Haven't selected a Dive Op yet, so looking forward to suggestions/thoughts on that. Afterward, we are considering a few days in Bunaken. I've heard most folks got to Komodo after Bali, but not sure that my son is ready for that high-current drift diving yet.

Any thoughts/recommendations on that plan? Is Amed comfortable enough for the non-divers for 8 nights? Will the Amed Dive Ops do day trips to Nusa Penida for Manta Point (I assume that they will all be doing trips up to tulamben as well)?

Thanks!
Tom

There is a lot to dissect in your post...

I would be interested to hear why you zeroed in on Amed, what kind of diving you are looking for, and what you hope for the non-divers while you are gone.
Thanks for responding. Essentially, we settled on Amed because 1: we found a great deal on a villa that was just right for us (sleeps 5, private pool, beachside); 2: it seemed to offer a wide variety of easy shore diving varied from muck to sloping or drop off reefs; 3) seemed to be equidistant to other dive or social spots like Tulamben or candidasa. As far as diving preferences, we’re looking to ease my son in to more challenging enviros. He’s not ready for high octane drifts yet, but would like a “taste” of those kinds of dives.
The non-divers are perfectly fine with rest and relaxation (we aren’t really “party people”, and they aren’t generally big hikers). They do enjoy snorkeling and swimming.

Thanks!

All the dive ops will arrange a trip to Manta Point for you, Amed is a small place but some beautiful day trips are available. I recently purchased a dive resort in Amed, happy to help out with what you need and also advise on other reputable operators there .
Thanks. Please feel free to pm me with your info.

Thanks for responding. Essentially, we settled on Amed because 1: we found a great deal on a villa that was just right for us (sleeps 5, private pool, beachside); 2: it seemed to offer a wide variety of easy shore diving varied from muck to sloping or drop off reefs; 3) seemed to be equidistant to other dive or social spots like Tulamben or candidasa. As far as diving preferences, we’re looking to ease my son in to more challenging enviros. He’s not ready for high octane drifts yet, but would like a “taste” of those kinds of dives.
The non-divers are perfectly fine with rest and relaxation (we aren’t really “party people”, and they aren’t generally big hikers). They do enjoy snorkeling and swimming.

Thanks!
You sound on target as there are solid coral sites nearby and the macro/muck is absolutely world-class. The views in Amed are amazingly beautiful even with the rocky beaches. There are some great restos, too. You will need a car to get around as Amed isn't all that walkable, especially at night. Its a super chill little village. I always feel like it is on the verge of blowing up in popularity with yoga/backpacker tourists, but it never quite happens. Im not sure why- maybe just too far from Ubud and Canggu... Anyway...

The swell and dives around Nusa Penida and Nusa Lembongan (including Manta Point) are often every bit as high octane as Komodo. To a lesser extent, the same is true with Candidasa.

I'm not sure how concrete your plans are, but I will throw this out there... I have taken literally hundreds of middle and high school kids diving all over the world, and Gili Air is about as perfect a location as there is for families like yours- warm water, beautiful sand beaches, no cars and motorcycles, walk/ride bikes to everything, snorkeling everywhere, cheap to high-end restos, and not enough going on at night to attract the crazy party people. It is really a wonderful place. The diving is exactly what you want too- some sites are incredibly easy and others can be pretty intense drifts. There is solid macro, a bunch of sharks, and you will see more turtles than you ever have before. The dive sites are all very close so you will not be gone all day. Most of the time boats go for one dive, then return. Usually around 8, 10:30 and again in the afternoon. Meanwhile, the non-divers will have plenty to do and freedom to explore while you are diving. You might also feel Ok about letting the 14 year olds some freedom too. Anyway, just an idea.

You sound on target as there are solid coral sites nearby and the macro/muck is absolutely world-class. The views in Amed are amazingly beautiful even with the rocky beaches. There are some great restos, too. You will need a car to get around as Amed isn't all that walkable, especially at night. Its a super chill little village. I always feel like it is on the verge of blowing up in popularity with yoga/backpacker tourists, but it never quite happens. Im not sure why- maybe just too far from Ubud and Canggu... Anyway...

The swell and dives around Nusa Penida and Nusa Lembongan (including Manta Point) are often every bit as high octane as Komodo. To a lesser extent, the same is true with Candidasa.

I'm not sure how concrete your plans are, but I will throw this out there... I have taken literally hundreds of middle and high school kids diving all over the world, and Gili Air is about as perfect a location as there is for families like yours- warm water, beautiful sand beaches, no cars and motorcycles, walk/ride bikes to everything, snorkeling everywhere, cheap to high-end restos, and not enough going on at night to attract the crazy party people. It is really a wonderful place. The diving is exactly what you want too- some sites are incredibly easy and others can be pretty intense drifts. There is solid macro, a bunch of sharks, and you will see more turtles than you ever have before. The dive sites are all very close so you will not be gone all day. Most of the time boats go for one dive, then return. Usually around 8, 10:30 and again in the afternoon. Meanwhile, the non-divers will have plenty to do and freedom to explore while you are diving. You might also feel Ok about letting the 14 year olds some freedom too. Anyway, just an idea.
Thanks. Will certainly check it out!

Here is manta point last month...

You will love your trip.

I would second Matt's suggestion of G Air vs Bunaken, just for ease of travel (no need for internal flights), especially if you only have a few extra days.

A possible alternative is just spending more time in Bali...but just not scuba diving. So much so explore.
Given the age of your kids, the "newish" water park in Kuta is good fun for a day.
You can also spend a few days in the Ubud region, there is hiking up the gorges / jungle / waterfalls. Temples/ markets / good food etc etc.
Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom