Bali - Candidasa / Padang Bai or Nusa Lembongan with family

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UFOrb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, its been a while since I've posted but we recently bought our flights to Bali for an August trip and would like some advice on where to stay. Apologies if this topic has been done before but I couldn't find the specific answers I wanted through the search.

We're both divers and our 2 kids (10 and 7 years) both love to snorkel (as do we). We've previously visited Gili Air / Tulamben / Candidasa and would happily go back to any of those places but want to visit others places.

We've already booked 7 nights on Lipah Beach, Amed for the snorkelling off the beach and local diving (taking turns spending time with kids & diving). My 10 year old wants to do a discover diving course after having done a couple of bubblemakers in Egypt previously - I figured Amed would be a good place for that.

I want some advice on what to do with the next 6 nights we have. Canadidasa / Padang Bai is obviously easier to get to than Nusa L, especially as you dont seem to be able to get a ferry from PB to NL, or at least I cant find any info on that. So assuming you have to get to Sanur from Amed, then a ferry from there to NL thats a long travel day! There was some nice snorkelling off the "beach" at Candidasa - a lot of juveniles and little critters to look at - and great diving at Tepekong and Mimpang.
But I like the idea of being close to all those dive sites on Lembongan / Penida so we're not away from the family too long, compared to diving those sites based from Candidasa / PB.
Would we be really missing out if we just dive the local Candidasa / PB sites and not bother with Lembongan / Penida?
Also, is there any snokelling from the beach on NL? I cant find much info on that, so I'm guessing not and would have to do boat trips to snorkel.
Whats the likelihood of seeing mantas on a snorkel trip on NL? as its high season I'm mindful that it could be a bit of a circus with dive / snorkel boats all over the place!

Any thoughts? Thank you!

Snorkeling from the beach on Lembongan? Maybe they have cleaned it up since I was there in 2015, but the beaches were filthy, with trash floating everywhere. Just wading through it to board the boat was disgusting enough.

Often stay on Nusa Lembongan and not sure there is much snorkelling off the beach but on the dive trips out to Crystal Bay and Manta Point they always take snorkelers. Pretty high chance of seeing Mantas (my daughter did) and there is some decent snorkelling off to the side in Crystal bay
Have you considered Pemuteran, there is snorkelling off the beach but even better half an hour ride away in Menjangan Island while you do the dives there

Snorkeling from the beach on Lembongan? Maybe they have cleaned it up since I was there in 2015, but the beaches were filthy, with trash floating everywhere. Just wading through it to board the boat was disgusting enough.
Which beach was that? We were thinking of staying at Mushroom Bay, if that makes a difference?

Often stay on Nusa Lembongan and not sure there is much snorkelling off the beach but on the dive trips out to Crystal Bay and Manta Point they always take snorkelers. Pretty high chance of seeing Mantas (my daughter did) and there is some decent snorkelling off to the side in Crystal bay
Have you considered Pemuteran, there is snorkelling off the beach but even better half an hour ride away in Menjangan Island while you do the dives there
Had kinda dismissed Pemuteran as its a long way from the airport, which ever way round you do it. Dont really fancy a long drive after or before a long flight, and dont want to add a night nearer the airport, but maybe worth reconsidering. Thanks.

No problem, we tend to do Pemuteran first and then end up simply falling asleep in the taxi while they drive us up there, it is very quiet and chilled up there so no everyone’s cup of tea

They have definitely cleaned it up a lot. The main beach on Lembongan was spotless when I was there in February 2020. It was incredible. The seaweed farming had all stopped because of the tourist boom. Not sure how it is now that the seaweed farming was reinstated during the Covid years.

Since the 5 past years there has been an incredible growth of bungalows/hotels/accommodation on Nusa Penida, especially on the Toyapakeh/SD/PED side. I went diving from PB to NP last december and just couldn't believe my eyes : you can find every type of accomodation you need sitting along the white sand beach, and -I guess since I have only dived these spots- a lot of snorkeling opportunities. Hence I would tend to look more for Nusa Penida than Nusa Lembongan.

I wouldn't bother with Pemuteran either, too long way, very touristy aimed with big hotels for groups, mediocre diving at least for me.

Back to Amed, I went diving the Japanese Wreck -far south of Amed in Aas- where I hadn't been to for maybe 7 years. I was amazed how the site was even better than what I remembered -and people are snorkeling from the shore there-. For me the best coral dive site around Bali with Toyapakeh in Nusa Penida.
On the other hand my guide told me the diving wasn't as good as it was in Lipah/Vienna beach, with lots of coral destruction due to recent high waves episodes.

But the Japanese wreck... woaww... here's some evidence :

Thanks @Luko

After more research, and discussion with my wife, we’ve decided to stay in PB after Amed, and will snorkel at Blue Lagoon and Bias Tugel. Will likely dive with Geko Dive. Fairly easy to get to Nusa Penida from PB, without the extra trip from Candidasa, but some local dives around PD I’d like to do too.

Shame about the report on Lipah but the Japanese shipwreck looks amazing - gorgeous photos :)

Maybe we’ll stay on Nusa Penida or Lembongan next trip - my wife’s already planning ahead to that one! :wink:

we’ve decided to stay in PB after Amed, and will snorkel at Blue Lagoon and Bias Tugel. Will likely dive with Geko Dive. Fairly easy to get to Nusa Penida from PB,
Geko is always a good choice! Maybe also an opportunity for your son to take a few more dives with them.
They also bring snorkelers to the Nusa Penida snorkelable sites, such as Manta point or Toyapakeh/PED/SD, at least there were some on my boat in december.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom