Amed Family Vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have travelled(single) quite a bit in SE Asia and had never ever came across any diving destination that is suitable to a family of non-divers and divers with mixed ability.
This is a holiday for the WHOLE family.
Compromise.
Exactly. Indonesia is the land of compromise when it comes to mixing divers and non-divers. My wife does not dive. I do not bring her to Tulamben. She would have my head.

Some snips from Amed last year when I use to live there. Great diving there but as others have said Gili's, and Panida are also highly highly recommended.

Those are all amazing- especially the nautilus. Is that depth correct? 128 meters?

Those are all amazing- especially the nautilus. Is that depth correct? 128 meters?
Yes, came across that amazing guy on ascent from 150 meter. It is the second one I have seen in real life. First one was off the Gili's at about 100m

Interesting fact Nautilus are literally living fossils that have changed very little in the past 500 million years, for reference the Triassic (252-201 million years ago) and Jurassic (201-145 million year ago) periods are just babies compared to that.

Yes, came across that amazing guy on ascent from 150 meter. It is the second one I have seen in real life. First one was off the Gili's at about 100m

Interesting fact Nautilus are literally living fossils that have changed very little in the past 500 million years, for reference the Triassic (252-201 million years ago) and Jurassic (201-145 million year ago) periods are just babies compared to that.
Beautiful clips, btw congrats on the JJCCR instructor rating!

Nice. Ive read a bunch about deep diving between Bali and Lombok. Awesome to see first-person video, so to speak.

I would say for new divers and especially teenagers Gili Air will blow Amed away: blue warm water, TONS of big turtles, sharks, and tons of fish. For those of us who LOVE macro/photography, Amed blows away Gili Air.

For non-divers and families with middle school/high school kids it isn't even close. Gili Air by far.
Thanks! That’s settles it then. Booked the second half of our trip for gili air.

Thanks for all of this advice!

Thanks! That’s settles it then. Booked the second half of our trip for gili air.

Thanks for all of this advice!
You won't regret it, it's perfect for the family, @matts1w hits it on the nail with diving comparisons between Gilli Air and Amed. Your son will love the diving it's great for beginners there and plenty for them to see.
It also has great beaches and loads of restaurants to choose from.

Some snips from Amed last year when I use to live there. Great diving there but as others have said Gili's, and Panida are also highly highly recommended.

Absolutely incredible vids. Can I ask where you managed to snag the hammerhead?

I only have experience with gili air and silafen/bunaken.

I actually really liked the diving in siladen/bunaken. Thought it was much more lively than gili air. Especially more walls, whereas the dives i did in gili were more coral on a bottom instead of wall and, much more busy.

With that said, gili air is amazing. Both the diving i enjoyed (sharks and turtles indeed), and the island is really cool and laidback. So for a family holiday with kids gili air is a great choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom