Keys Family Vacation and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b1gcountry

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am considering a family vacation to the Florida keys. I don't care which island. I have 3 kids between 8 and 13. Thus would be a family vacation with diving and not a real dive vacation. I would like to do a few days diving with my wife with some resort activities for the younger ones, and also spend some days sightseeing with the family and snorkeling with the kids.

For price, some of the $2000/night resorts seem pretty expensive. That is definitely my high end.

Any recommendations?

This might be a better option. Super close to the Ft Lauderdale airport and Sea Experience is onsite. They offer scuba and snorkeling trips. Plus the beach is right across the A1A.

Bahia Mar Doubletree, Ft. Lauderdale

You'd definitely want to stay away from Key West with the kids. Key Largo most likely, near Pennekamp State Park. Maybe look at the dive/lodging packages with Rainbow Reef or Horizon Divers?

Key west is more adult?
My wife and I went to ft Lauderdale during our honeymoon, but we never made it to the keys. If it's a better place with my wife and I solo, that's an option too, but we want to go somewhere as a family, so other recommendations are welcome

Key west is more adult?
My wife and I went to ft Lauderdale during our honeymoon, but we never made it to the keys. If it's a better place with my wife and I solo, that's an option too, but we want to go somewhere as a family, so other recommendations are welcome

Key West is ... interesting. Definitely more "adult". Kind of a blend between Vegas and New Orleans. It's not my cup of tea and I definitely wouldn't recommend staying there with kids. Visting for a day ... sure. But it's not really a family-friendly destination, especially with kids as young as yours. Others may have different views, but Key West is definitely viewed as more of an adult destination. Also the diving is better and more diverse in the upper keys.

Kids in Florida have started school so now until some time in October, you can find reasonable rates depending on your schedule. Friday and Saturday room rates can be $100 higher than Sunday - Thursday. Holidays are the most expensive. Key West will be expensive before October 1 and will be expensive until June, as tourists think Key West is hotter is June than the spring and fall.

We went to the keys in June and are going to Marathon Oct 1 - Oct 4. We schedule our trips to arrive Sunday night and then leave by Friday morning to avoid the high weekend rates. We use Priceline, but any hotel discounter can get you better rates than than directly booking with the hotel.

Many dive operators will take snorkelers and divers on the same boat. My wife snorkels but doesn't dive so we have done a snorkel/dive boat a couple of times. It works out well for us. Be aware that you can get sea sick on boats and a sea sick child is not a happy child.

Key Largo is probably the most reasonable cost key and you can reach anywhere in the keys in a couple of hours from Key Largo. You can find non resort hotels in Key Largo. Some of the middle keys are harder to find non resort hotels. Islamorada and Pine Key mostly have resort hotels. Marathon has both. Key West has the old town - which is the southern part and is what you associate with Key West. I wouldn't bother with new town Key West as it is all new and not what I consider Key West - but might be ideal for families with kids.

I suggest you find a place that is affordable first. Then worry about activities once you have picked a location. There must be a dive operator, treasure museum and state park every 10 miles, so no matter where you stay similar things will be available.

I would recommend Amorey Dive resort on Key Largo. Reasonably priced. Basically next door to the dolphin experience for the kids. Got a pool. Boat is right there for scuba and snorkeling. Plus a nice pool on the property. Excellent local restaurants nearby. However they only have one boat. So where ever they are going for the day, that’s what you got. Max and Lauren are excellent DM with them. Your family will enjoy.

Someone else suggested Rainbow Reef. They have deals with three hotels right by their docks. However depending on which boat you will get on which day, you might have the boat on your side of the marina or walk around. Plus the hotels are chain hotels (holiday inn). More chain places to eat nearby. Plus divers direct is right there for any kit you need. Also this outfit has a bunch of boats and hit all the good reefs for snorkeling and diving. Elbow, alligator, French. Ask for Tina, she can give you the best hotel and dive deals they have at the moment.

I am a horizon divers fan, but I don’t think they have hotel deals. Plus the experience is more advanced tech dives. They tend to go to all the deep wreck sites and not the shallow reef spots. Although you can call them just to see what their schedule is. Early tech classes go to the reefs for gear checkout dives and snorkeling is welcome.

another option I see a lot of visitors do is rent an RV through air BnB. There are some deals there for sure. The whole island is very short, so wherever you stay you don’t have far to go. But it is one lane at 45 mph. So there can be some “traffic”. Also note that Islamorada (the next key) has “theater of the sea”. excellent for the kids and much better than sea world IMO. That key also has the history of diving museum. Lots of stuff for divers and kids to see and learn about.

Oh thing I forgot. Since you talked about the family going and all. I recommend MikeKeys Charters. Mike is the best six pack captain on the island. Great guy. Will play all of your favorite music. You’ll feel like the boat is your own. He can take you guys out all day at a very reasonable price and hit some good snorkeling spots for ya. Then anchor in at the sand bar in whale harbor so the kids can feed the birds, throw the football, snorkel or meet other kids. You and the wife can relax with some drinks and enjoy the sun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom