Keys Family Vacation and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainbow Reef has several boats and runs to the best reefs in the Florida Keys. Kid friendly, free guides. They are at Mile Marker 100 upper keys. Go look at Rainbow Reef Trip Advisor reports.

Man, you guys are a wealth of information here! Renting a six pack for the family sounds pretty amazing. You gave me a lot to consider. I need to read this again a few times.

I actually though the keys might be a little more kid friendly than where we went this year at pensacola beach. Getting a place with some sort of kids programs and daytime activity the lo is can do while we are diving would have made our trip this year a lot nicer. It sounds like that might not be as common in the keys as I thought.

Man, you guys are a wealth of information here! Renting a six pack for the family sounds pretty amazing. You gave me a lot to consider. I need to read this again a few times.

I actually though the keys might be a little more kid friendly than where we went this year at pensacola beach. Getting a place with some sort of kids programs and daytime activity the lo is can do while we are diving would have made our trip this year a lot nicer. It sounds like that might not be as common in the keys as I thought.
Kid activities in Key Largo or Islamorada would be pretty easy. Lots of drive by, that looks cool, no reservation needed kind of things. Ice cream shops, trinkets, daddy take me there kinda of stuff.

if that is what you mean. the only places I would think offer more would be Destin in the panhandle or Fort Meyers (the island, not main land). Probl with those places is the diving. Vis is a lot less on the gulf side. Unless you are diving the mighty O or getting some shark teeth, then it might not be the excitement you are looking for.

so once again my recommendation is Key Largo.

Kid activities in Key Largo or Islamorada would be pretty easy. Lots of drive by, that looks cool, no reservation needed kind of things. Ice cream shops, trinkets, daddy take me there kinda of stuff.

if that is what you mean. the only places I would think offer more would be Destin in the panhandle or Fort Meyers (the island, not main land). Probl with those places is the diving. Vis is a lot less on the gulf side. Unless you are diving the mighty O or getting some shark teeth, then it might not be the excitement you are looking for.

so once again my recommendation is Key Largo.

SWFL is my home. Unfortunately, you can rule out Ft Myers Beach for another 2-3 years. Hurricane Ian completely devastated Ft. Myers Beach last September. Progress is being made but it will be another 2-3 years before it will be anything close to what it was. Plus, as you mentioned, no decent diving here.

There was a recent thread by @deeper thoughts reporting on his dives on Davis Reef which suggests Islamorada and the Riviera Beach and Tavernier area might be good. I’m starting to look at possibilities there for myself, and the hotels sounded pretty reasonable and at least one of the charter operations sounded very good.

Ive been old for a long time, so I don’t tend to think about activities for kids, but Islamorada should have at least some opportunities for family stuff.

Disclaimer: I haven’t been there for 25 years, but this thread I cited has me interested enough to investigate a trip there myself. im only suggesting this from second hand info and my own limited research. Do your own due diligence.

🐸

I would recommend Amoray Dive resort on Key Largo. Reasonably priced. Basically next door to the dolphin experience for the kids. Got a pool. Boat is right there for scuba and snorkeling. Plus a nice pool on the property. Excellent local restaurants nearby. However they only have one boat. So where ever they are going for the day, that’s what you got. Max and Lauren are excellent DM with them. Your family will enjoy.
+1 for Amoray

Another reasonable option would be La Jolla Resort, especially if their lodges are available.
Amara Cay and La Siesta will be nice, but a bit more expensive.

Make sure you visit Theater of the Sea - it is the place to go with kids

There are some good suggestions here for Key Largo, but there's one major problem, IMO: Key Largo is a great place to dive, but not really a great place to stay, otherwise. Since diving is not 100% of your focus, I'd suggest skipping it. It has much less of a true keys feel and there isn't much exciting happening. Heading slightly further south to Islamorada or Marathon is definitely more "keys" and there are a ton of smaller, boutiquey resort options.

Despite what others have said, Key West is most def a place that a family can enjoy. You do not need to take the kids to the north end of Duval Street at 10pm on a Saturday. There are many other places to explore, and lots and lots of things to do, all in a walkable, relatively small area. You'll also have a wide variety of housing options, from hotels to resorts to guest houses to AirBnBs.

Alternatives: Miami and Fort Lauderdale have tons to do and easy access to diving.

Despite what others have said, Key West is most def a place that a family can enjoy. You do not need to take the kids to the north end of Duval Street at 10pm on a Saturday. There are many other places to explore, and lots and lots of things to do, all in a walkable, relatively small area. You'll also have a wide variety of housing options, from hotels to resorts to guest houses to AirBnBs.

Fair enough. Just don't take them out after dark. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom