airline carry on ?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dress specifically to make it easy to go through security. I make sure to follow the rules. I take wallet, watch, belt, phone, jacket etc and put them in my bag. I make sure liquids are in the bag and the computer is in a separate tray. I get this all ready when I get to the airport, before I get in the security line. The only time I have been stopped and checked is the 1 time when they wanted to see my regulator. No problem. Once through I calmly walk to the benches and put it all back where it was before I got in line. It probably takes all of 2 or 3 minutes to do this. If I didn't get to the airport in enough time that 2 minutes would make me miss my plane I screwed up.

TSA is a bad joke but it is presently the law of the land. I see no reason to hassle a TSA worker. They have a job to do no matter how offensive I think their existence is.

Got back from grand cayman Saturday. No problems with any of that stuff or photo gear at LAX, MIA, or GCM.

Plus, LAX TSA job requirement is that you hate humanity, your job, and being friendly/polite. Really, they're that horrible.

Maybe if you are treated like sh!t by a lot of people all the time your attitude would suffer, maybe not. I don't like the TSA, personally I think it needs to go away. But being rude to them serves no purpose. You reap what you sow. Though I do think some of them are just a$$holes.

Got back from grand cayman Saturday. No problems with any of that stuff or photo gear at LAX, MIA, or GCM.

Plus, LAX TSA job requirement is that you hate humanity, your job, and being friendly/polite. Really, they're that horrible.

I always carry regs, computers, camera and housing in the carry on. Sometimes I get stopped and have to unpack it, just because they are not sure what it is when you get scanned, but normally not any problem. Just have to explain it's for diving. I would rather carry it than have it thrown around to get to the hold.

Maybe if you are treated like sh!t by a lot of people all the time your attitude would suffer, maybe not. I don't like the TSA, personally I think it needs to go away. But being rude to them serves no purpose. You reap what you sow. Though I do think some of them are just a$$holes.

I hear you. Kind of a what comes first the chicken or the egg argument. I go out of my way to be super compliant, pleasant, and polite. Still, at LAX, they don't disappoint!

I'm flying for the first time since 9/11 and the TSA "want-to-be-cops"... I'm not 75 with a colostomy bag or a 6yr old little girl... :shakehead: So I should be ok with walking right through.... :( I'm headed to Hawaii on United airlines... I packed wives dive computer, bottom timer and 2 complete regulator sets in my one carry on bag... What are the chances of them giving me a hard time...? Any advice would be nice to have...:)
What a homebody. I flew on Sept 16, 2001. We had considered buying a car and driving back thru a few countries but they finally allowed flights on non-US airlines again.

Anything important that you really want to get there with more than other stuff, try to get it in your roll-on or backpack, and you are allowed one of each. Check the airline's site for maximums, then the TSA site for prohibited items. If your clothes bags are delayed arriving, you get to go shopping and file a claim for United to pay for it.

I guess it's too early there for golfing or lawn fertilizing. Those can set off the sniffers. I pack a lot of electronics in my roll-on and backpack and never bother taking anything out unless they ask.

More of the same here......
I "carry-on" regs, computer camera gear, and some clothes. The TSA people vary in reactions from nothing to unpacking the whole damn bag, and swiping for explosives, but even that is more of a nuisance /time waster than anything else. I'd suggest volunteering to repack the bag yourself, because you'll probably have to do it anyway.....

One other thing-if they ask if you have a computer, I learned to say "no laptop", and all is usually well.
One time I truthfully (foolishly?) said " I have a dive computer". The (newbie?) TSA person said "Turn it on, please". I did, and the D C went through the self diagnostic, complete with countdown ".. 9, 8, 7, 6, ....."Thank God there was an experienced TSA person close by, or the newbie might have passed out, or arrested me. :)
:lol:

I dress specifically to make it easy to go through security. I make sure to follow the rules. I take wallet, watch, belt, phone, jacket etc and put them in my bag. I make sure liquids are in the bag and the computer is in a separate tray. I get this all ready when I get to the airport, before I get in the security line. The only time I have been stopped and checked is the 1 time when they wanted to see my regulator. No problem. Once through I calmly walk to the benches and put it all back where it was before I got in line. It probably takes all of 2 or 3 minutes to do this. If I didn't get to the airport in enough time that 2 minutes would make me miss my plane I screwed up.

TSA is a bad joke but it is presently the law of the land. I see no reason to hassle a TSA worker. They have a job to do no matter how offensive I think their existence is.
When they say one-quart bag, they mean one quart max, not a gallon ziplock. I carry 3: one for any 3.4 oz liquids or gels, one for everything in my pockets, and a spare - that I may share with a passenger in line who forgot. I do not use the little trays for pocket items tho; that bag goes in my backpack. Don't go thru the gate until you see your stuff going thru, do not let anyone keep you from staying close to it, and don't lose anything.

Reactions: Doc
Well if you avoid US connections it is not a problem... (oops sorry about that)

I have not had TSA even look in my carry on since 911. Regs, dive computers, cameras, laptops, ipads, phones,... You name it. Never looked once. Asleep at the wheel. I think they were busy sniffing my shoes.

I have had to remove my sandals, and empty all of my pockets. That is standard procedure now. But only if you are connecting via the states.

TSA do regularly cut the TSA approved lock off of my checked baggage and discard it. They do leave a very nice form letter.

And we are GOES and NEXUS, but this does not seem to help much in the US.

---------- Post added April 10th, 2013 at 02:11 AM ----------

Yes, the rest of the world hates you!

Yes, the rest of the world hates you!
Does 3.4 oz sound like an odd choice for a carry-on limit? It's 100 ml, and the rest of the world uses that.

Benches? I've seen a bench in Houston, it's true and I'll take your word for it there are benches at LAX . . .be that as it may, haven't seen a bench in lots of airports world wide. In this case, the OP is only flying domestic so maybe there will be a bench here and there's. That said, OP and his wife should be prepared not only for a$$h@le TSA but some seriously impatient fellow travelers.

Impatient fellow travellers who DONT follow the regulations, thus slow down the security check even more, to be specific..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom