2011 Exercise and Fitness Challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look forward to seeing you again.. give Matt my best wishes for a quick recovery. OUCH!! And patience for you as you play nurse.

Got to the park this morning with the doofus's.
Doofus' got some run time in. I did a couple short sprints with some (modified) push ups and situps. Came home and lifted the weight bar. Need some weights to put on it. I think it's at least 10 lbs, but could use another 10 to start. Feel the burn!!!!

well.. I also did full classes last week, going back today at lunch time for a quicky class of just abs. Also trying a self-brain-wash to motivate me to continue the exercises in the ship starting this Thursday for the following 20 days.

SWEET on the Kettlebell! Coach Izzy used to frequent these forums a lot. He is a Kettlebell trainer up in Brainbridge WA. Wrote a book about weightlifting for divers.
https://www.facebook.com/coach.izzy

Ana, how are you feeling after a week of classes? Sounds like you're not really in to this exercise thing. Maybe you can try different exercises as you go along to keep the interest up! Have you tried the stretch bands at all? I use one a lot a nights when out on the beach watching turtles. Better than watching sand. I also try some yoga. Anything to make the time go faster, and trying to incorporate my exercise into my daily activities so it's not so much of a regiment. Does that make sense?

Jenny you have no idea how much I dislike this exercise thing, I do it because I don'twant to be old and weak. I can't do anything about the old part, but I figure old and strong is not too bad.

Used to be that my daily routine at work required hard physical work so between that and being younger I didn't have to add anything in order to be in great shape. Now my vehicles do the diving instead of me, I put hours and hours troubleshooting them or monitoring their dives but it doesn't required a whole lot of physical effort. So for now that place that people call gym and is a torture chamber for me has to take the slack. I don't think I'll ever like it.
Looking forward to move for good to Pompano, and set my activities in a way that require enough physical effort to stay strong. We figure alternating between bicycling to the beach and kayaking to the intracoastal from the house about 5 days a week, an average of a dive a day from the boat, and getting involved with the turtles for real (instead of just reading about it) should keep Matt and I in decent shape. It that doesn't do it, we'll have to go to my kid's cross-fit torture, because there is no military base with facilities in that area that I know of.

Roxane you are correct, the boat I will be working of has the bridge up and a couple of deck down, and there is a bit of empty space perfect to work out looking at the water. It is like everything one has to have the will power to do that during your downtime, instead of parking your behind in the bean-bag next to that space and vegetate while being grateful for not being in a cubicle.

Believe it or not, having something to report here in this thread is a bit of a motivator, I'm glad I saw the thread.

Good news and bad news.
Bad news. I gained this week. YIKES!! 1.6 lbs. I know I did not keep track of my food points. It's all my fault. I didn't exercise as much as usual. next week will be better.
Good news. My cholesterol level is down to a normal reading. 189. It was high (for me) before I started Weight Watchers. (231) I get it checked each time I give blood. It had been up a little last time after being down previous. I hope the trend continues. I like the number from this last test. :) Oh, blood pressure was down too. 114/66 :) Getting closer to normal, which is on the low side of normal for me.

Ana, we are glad you found the thread too.:hugs:

I totally understand about the gym. I don't get it to begin with and the thought of paying to go someplace so I can sweat just doesn't compute. Course, if there was a swimming pool that I could do laps, well, then maybe my attitude would change. :). Ok, that and I am too cheap/frugal to spend my hard earned $$$ at a gym. So I look for ways to incorporate a workout in my daily life.

And yeah, I know the hard physical routine and younger days too. I used to ride race horses for a living. Sitting at a computer hardly blows any calories. Still love the scent of horse sweated leather. Ok. I'm weird.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom