First regulator, BPW and maybe drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last trip was 8kg, but I probably could do with a bit less. Proper weighing is on my to-do list...
If you have no reservations with traveling with a SS BP/W & STA, I'd recommend going that direction. Get a couple of trim pockets for your cylinder straps to adjust for trim, and have a weight system on your waist and you should be able to cover both warm and cold water diving.

Something like this might work for you: Alu BP/W, no STA needed, including both weight and trim pockets. Decent price too.

For regulator (sets): there are a lot of great products out there, many of them a bit more affordable than Apeks (at least here in mainland Europe). Many great all-round (including cold water) regulators out there. My point: go for features, not brands.

Here's a selection:

For the reg I would strongly reccomend one which can at least be upgraded to have 5 ports. This just means if you upgrade to twinset or sidemount you can have much better/essential hose routing. Personaly, I would go for an Apeks Dst for the first stage and second stage doesn't matter as much but they often come with xtx 50s. I wouldn't go for the newer Apeks like the xl4, They have more plastic parts and I've been told they don't breath very nice.

For BCD I would go back-plate and wing instead...but I also made the mistake of getting a traveling/hybrid bcd initially and I'm a big fan of making your own mistakes rather than just listening to people!

The drysuit I would get a second hand one first. There are a number of Facebook groups for UK second hand gear. I would spend about £400 and use it for 1-2 seasons. Make sure you like UK diving and work out what you do like/don't like in a drysuit by speaking to people over those seasons then buy your dream suit made to measure after that. You can even start saving for that dream suit now.

As for getting diving, there are lots of BSAC groups in your area, some of them will also have facebook pages/insta pages so you can check out what they are doing a bit. A lot of them will do weekly socials so you could join them on one of those. I'd probably just start with your closest one unless you find anything you don't like about them.

Living in UK, I have so far been diving nearly exclusively in warm waters on vacation (last few times on a liveaboard, which I really enjoy). I then dive single tank, usually Nitrox (below 40%), 3mm wetsuit. This year, I would like to:
  • Complete my gear: regulator and BCD; it will need to be travel friendly, but also remain open to cold diving.
  • Dive more, and stop being shy about the cold UK waters.
  • Progress to BSAC Sport Diver (I initially trained as Ocean Diver) or PADI Rescue Diver (I am AOWD).
Apologies for the lengthy post and probably mixing too many topics at one, but here are my points in more detail.

Regulator:​

It will be in majority used on vacation but maybe progressively more in cold water too in the future. I plan to update later to AI transmitter, so would need 2 HP ports. I read of turret and 5th port benefits, but not sure they are as relevant for me. Braided hoses would have my preference. And I would go with DIN fitting (any issues with Nitrox in Europe and all the talk around M26?)

I narrowed it down to environmentally sealed ones too, which led to a shortlist with the Apex XTX50 and XL4+ (possibly ocea, which seems the same, except eco-friendly). Which would you recommend? Other models to consider?

Would you go for a long hose configuration? I read quite a bit about that, but still have mixed feelings.

BCD:​

I think I am sold on the backplate and wing, though I never got a chance to try… I would like some help choosing the different components. Here are my thoughts so far:

For the backplate, it looks like steel is better for weight distribution but might be an issue when travelling.

I'm ok with the one-piece webbing harness.

For the wing, I liked that the Apeks WTX-D30 does not need an STA, but that also limits slightly the compatible backplates to have holes for tank bands.

Also, quite confused on whether I would need weight pockets (should I start without and see how it goes in the pool?) or pockets on the tank bands.

Cold water diving:​

I realise that buying a dry suit is the way forward here, but cost and variety does not make that step easy. Any suggestions for my current situation?

This may also impact the capacity needed for the wing, right?

Diving more and progression:​

I do have a feel for PADI vs BSAC, having trained with both in the past, but the sport and rescue diver courses don't seem quite the same in terms of content. Anyone who has experience of both to compare them? Any other agency/course?

Also any suggestions for an active club around Bristol, UK?
As a BSAC Member you can get discounts on equipment which would pay for your membership.

Regulator:
If you buy in the UK it has to be cold water certified, so the brand doesn't matter. Personally I stay away from Apex.

BCD:
Whether you end up with a BCD/ABLJ or Wing the important aspect is whether it has a enough lift to get you out of the mire.

Cold Water Diving:
You only ware the wrong thermal protection. I did 8 years in a 8mm wetsuit, but wouldn't go back to it. Otter used to be fantastic, but since John died they’ve gone downhill so fast that I'll be selling my 2 year old one and buying from another maker. Thode who dive neoprene will preach that, those that dive membrane will recommend them. Your choice.

Progression:
Join a BSAC club and take the 'Buoyancy & Trip Workshop’. If not with the club one run by the Regional Team. But do it with the kit your going to dive with.

Backplates are cheap. Jumping through hoops to fly to warm water destinations with a steel backplate seems kind of silly. For all this hoop jumping you can get an aluminum plate for $100 US.

Newsflash you don't need an STA with a lot of wings. They are helpful for adding weight in cold water in the right place but otherwise have no business in warm water.

Backplates are cheap. Jumping through hoops to fly to warm water destinations with a steel backplate seems kind of silly. For all this hoop jumping you can get an aluminum plate for $100 US.

Newsflash you don't need an STA with a lot of wings. They are helpful for adding weight in cold water in the right place but otherwise have no business in warm water.
Yeah, rent or borrow weights for AL plate. Put them where you need them with small weight pouches.

My entire BC (alu BP + 33 lbW + harness + weight pockets) weighs about 3.2 kg. That's lightweight enough for me to travel. In total, I can put a total of 9 kg of weight in the pockets (2 x 2 kg in the trim pockets on the cam bands, 2 x 2.5 kg in the weight pockets on the waistband). If I need more weight (cold water diving in drysuit and undersuit), I can add a 2.7 kg or even a 4 kg P-weight in the backplate.

I put 2 lbs. in pouch on waist belt @ plate on left.
1lb. plus 1lb. light cannister @ right of AL plate.
I wear double wool socks, double fleece underwear
and thick neoprene hood in fresh water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom