First regulator, BPW and maybe drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vlxm

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Living in UK, I have so far been diving nearly exclusively in warm waters on vacation (last few times on a liveaboard, which I really enjoy). I then dive single tank, usually Nitrox (below 40%), 3mm wetsuit. This year, I would like to:
  • Complete my gear: regulator and BCD; it will need to be travel friendly, but also remain open to cold diving.
  • Dive more, and stop being shy about the cold UK waters.
  • Progress to BSAC Sport Diver (I initially trained as Ocean Diver) or PADI Rescue Diver (I am AOWD).
Apologies for the lengthy post and probably mixing too many topics at one, but here are my points in more detail.

Regulator:​

It will be in majority used on vacation but maybe progressively more in cold water too in the future. I plan to update later to AI transmitter, so would need 2 HP ports. I read of turret and 5th port benefits, but not sure they are as relevant for me. Braided hoses would have my preference. And I would go with DIN fitting (any issues with Nitrox in Europe and all the talk around M26?)

I narrowed it down to environmentally sealed ones too, which led to a shortlist with the Apex XTX50 and XL4+ (possibly ocea, which seems the same, except eco-friendly). Which would you recommend? Other models to consider?

Would you go for a long hose configuration? I read quite a bit about that, but still have mixed feelings.

BCD:​

I think I am sold on the backplate and wing, though I never got a chance to try… I would like some help choosing the different components. Here are my thoughts so far:

For the backplate, it looks like steel is better for weight distribution but might be an issue when travelling.

I'm ok with the one-piece webbing harness.

For the wing, I liked that the Apeks WTX-D30 does not need an STA, but that also limits slightly the compatible backplates to have holes for tank bands.

Also, quite confused on whether I would need weight pockets (should I start without and see how it goes in the pool?) or pockets on the tank bands.

Cold water diving:​

I realise that buying a dry suit is the way forward here, but cost and variety does not make that step easy. Any suggestions for my current situation?

This may also impact the capacity needed for the wing, right?

Diving more and progression:​

I do have a feel for PADI vs BSAC, having trained with both in the past, but the sport and rescue diver courses don't seem quite the same in terms of content. Anyone who has experience of both to compare them? Any other agency/course?

Also any suggestions for an active club around Bristol, UK?

You're in the UK so check out Seaskin. They're very affordable and are fully made to measure.
BP/W is def the way to go. Stainless steel plate gives you added weight so you require less lead on a belt, harness or pouches. I recommend you split your overall weight between your rig (bp/w) and your body (harness or belt). You'll still need to add 15-20 lbs or so when you go dry in addition to your rig. Having a good way to distribute that is key.

For regs in the UK, I'd definitely go with Apeks. I don't know if Norsok Standard U-101 accreditation is important to you or not, but Apeks is on a fairly short list.

In general I'd stick with suppliers in the UK as you have so many options. @Boarderguy already mentioned Seaskin, a very popular and cost effective solution.

May I ask how much lead you use in a 3-mil and jacket style BCD? Remember you will have to adjust your harness a bit between warm and cold water if you go Hogarthian, but that isn't really a big deal. For your information, I do travel with a SS BP/W & STA, as then in my 5-mil I don't need any extra weight and with my Deep 6 Eddy fins (not a practical option for you unfortunately), I trim out nicely.

I wish I had a BSAC club to try, but I live in the land of ungrateful colonists. :wink:

you will have to adjust your harness a bit between warm and cold water if you go Hogarthian
I have my harness set loose enough for my drysuit and don't change it for my 3mm trips. As long as the waist/crotch strap is tight, that rig ain't going anywhere (even upside down WITHOUT the arms in the straps).

I have my harness set loose enough for my drysuit and don't change it for my 3mm trips. As long as the waist/crotch strap is tight, that rig ain't going anywhere (even upside down WITHOUT the arms in the straps).
That makes one of us. The OP will figure that out on his own. I was just giving him a heads up for my situation.

it looks like steel is better for weight distribution but might be an issue when travelling
Yep, mainly a problem if it throws you over the luggage limit. A steel plate would replace some of the lead, so that's certainly convenient when you need to use lead. For an AL plate, trim pockets on the plate or upper tank band make weight distribution a non-issue, though.

OTOH, I would say that an AL plate is more flexible simply because it's lighter. I got an AL plate so as to not be over-weighted in Mexico (3mm suit) with an HP120 tank. (I'm not sure whether such operators are now using the newer FX120 version that is about neutral empty rather than -7 lbs.) I also use it with fresh-water doubles, where I'm neutral without lead. A steel plate in either of those scenarios would be more than I need.

In summary, don't sweat this choice. Either works well, and picking up the other if needed in the future won't break the bank.

Yep, mainly a problem if it throws you over the luggage limit.
Wear it under your coat and off you go! Put it in your carry on later.

Wear it under your coat and off you go!
I've been tempted to try that, but have never been bold enough -- Yessir, Mr. TSA Agent, it's a back support plate, not a head-chopping blade." Now that fingernail clippers are allowed though, maybe it would work. :wink: I have seen where some have bolted a normal daypack to the plate -- very cool.

I recommend you look at the Sub-Gravity single tank system. You get a choice of 3 stainless steel & 2 aluminum backplates, 4 wing sizes, 2 harness styles and 3 weight pocket sizes. Their wings do not require a STA. I have their 3mm aluminum backplate, 26 lb wing and adjustable harness for travel. I love their adjustable harness, it's clean, simple and no plastic parts.
I would go with the aluminum backplate for travel. you can add weight if needed, you can't make your SS backplate lighter and you have to consider baggage allowances.

I've been tempted to try that, but have never been bold enough -- Yessir, Mr. TSA Agent, it's a back support plate, not a head-chopping blade." Now that fingernail clippers are allowed though, maybe it would work. :wink: I have seen where some have bolted a normal daypack to the plate -- very cool.
I pulled some real stunts in the past. When checking in on a flight back from Greece, I had all these ceramic plates in my backpack, more than twice the weight of my other carry on that was still over.

It was early in the morning, so I put my backpack next to some guy sleeping, and then I checked in. Because I was speaking Greek to the woman at the counter, she let me slide when I said I'd take items out before boarding (and put where exactly?).

I stopped doing that as eventually I will get caught.

But wearing my backplate is something I would do to this day. If I fly Condor or similar, I'd wear it checking in, put it in carry on for security, wear it again at the gate as they do go around checking people's carry on (been caught, but it was camera lenses that I put in my pockets, and of course put back in my carry on once on the plane).

My wife hates my m'urses (cargo pants/shorts) but it sure comes in handy when traveling with heavy stuff!

Back
Top Bottom