You're Lost At Sea!! What Signal Devices Do You Have To Use - and Why Not?

What Signal Devices Do You Have To Use - and Why Not? Choose All You Use

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been thinking of getting one of those Dive Alert whistles. Is there much of a problem with accidentally signaling on the surface or underwater?

I've been thinking of getting one of those Dive Alert whistles. Is there much of a problem with accidentally signaling on the surface or underwater?
Nah, you have to press the red button and it's protected from accidental bumping. Be sure to get the one that fits your BC.

Mine (Dive Alret whistle) does not make a sound underwater. Is it supposed to? I used it once while caught in current downwind from the boat. We must have been about 100m from the boat. It worked great :) It just happened to be the first time I brought it along for a dive. I am hooked!

AZ

I've thought about getting one of these...

www.findmespot.com

It's GPS and sends a distress signal most anywhere on the globe. Just keep it in a little dry pouch and your all set. When you're left just press the button and help is on the way.

I've thought about getting one of these...

www.findmespot.com

It's GPS and sends a distress signal most anywhere on the globe. Just keep it in a little dry pouch and your all set. When you're left just press the button and help is on the way.
We discussed those some on this thread on May 28-30 and again on July 19. May be good ideas, but you'd need to carry an Otterbox on every dive.

Walmart actually carries a couple small dry boxs in the fishing department that are small enough to fit in the pocket of a BC; and one looks to be big enough to fit the Spot Messenger. They range around $10 or less.

To what depth do they say that they will stay dry?
I'm not going to put anything expensive and important in a non depth rated container

This from the other similar thread (thanks Jenny)

This is a must read before purchasing a PLB.
From this link... WSDOT - Emergency Locator Transmitters (ELTs)
Due to false alerts from ELT's the U.S. Coast Guard and Airforcehave mandatory wait and confirm policy.
"It is official U.S. Coast Guard and Air Force policy to wait to react to a 121.5 MHz emergency signal until there have been at least two to three polar satellite passes over a signal, which usually takes two or more hours, unless there has been a report of a missing aircraft, vessel or a person with a personal locator beacon, in which case search forces are alerted quicker to satellite alerts."
Phasing out of the 121.5mhz satellites...
"The FCC, at the request of the U.S. Coast Guard this year, is implementing regulations that will remove the certification for the manufacture and sale of 121.5 MHz EPIRBs in the United States by 2004, and by the end of 2006 forbid their use. "
Here are a few links to PLB manufacturers..
MOB - Sea Marshall Contact Info
McMurdo/Pains Wessex Fastfind Plus Personal Location Beacon (PLB) - Buy at Wholesale Prices from Online Marine
OFFROUTE.COM:*SPOT*-*SPOT Messenger - Satellite Personal Tracker, Free Shipping*
Good info all. A few points to ponder/consider when purchasing a signaling device.
USCG
The USCG will no longer monitor 121.5 MHz as of Feb 2009 for emergencys. The 406 MHz is much more reliable as it has fewer false activations.
NOAA SARSAT
The decision to stop satellite processing of 121.5 / 243 MHz signals is due to problems in this frequency band which inundate search and rescue authorities with poor accuracy and numerous false alerts, adversely impacting the effectiveness of lifesaving services. Although the 406 MHz beacons cost more at the moment, they provide search and rescue agencies with more reliable and complete information to do their job more efficiently and effectively. The Cospas-Sarsat Program made the decision to terminate 121.5/243 MHz satellite alerting services, in part, in response to guidance from the International Maritime Organization (IMO) and the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). These two agencies of the United Nations are responsible for regulating the safety on international transits of ships and aircraft, respectively, and handling international standards and plans for maritime and aviation search and rescue. More than 180 nations are members of IMO and ICAO.

NOAA, along with the U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Air Force, and NASA (the four Federal Agencies who manage, operate, and use the SARSAT system) are strongly advising users of 121.5/243 MHz beacons to make the switch to 406. Meanwhile, anyone planning to buy a new distress beacon may wish to take the Cospas-Sarsat decision into account.

Of the 3 sources sited above for PLBs, only one (the Mcmurdo) is a true PLB.
(Personally, if you are gonna purchase a PLB, I highly recommend the ACR PLB. http://www.acrelectronics.com/ ) The others may call themselves a PLB or EPIRB, but are not. With that in mind, the SPOT and Sea Marshall do not use the COSPAS-SARSAT satellite system. The Sea Marshall is used in conjunction with a DF using the 121.5 MHZ. Therefore somebody has to know you are missing, and have a SeaMarshall on you, and have activated it, for you to be found. This is typical of most MOB devices.
SPOT uses the GlobalStar private satellite system and you must pay a subscription fee and other fees for its use. Additionally the GlobalStar system is not monitored for distress signals. Through numerous testing SPOT cannot be considered reliable, even in pristine conditions. The average I have heard is about 70% success. Not good if you are depending your life on it.
Hope this clears things up a little.

Last edited:
It would be cool if someone were able to invent one of those survival filtration straws for use with saltwater. Unfortunately, they all state "not for use with salty or brackish water". Some of them are pretty small and would probably easily clip to a BC or fit in a pocket. It'd be a heck of a lot easier to carry a survival straw than a few ounces of fresh water on a dive.

Jose

Walmart actually carries a couple small dry boxs in the fishing department that are small enough to fit in the pocket of a BC; and one looks to be big enough to fit the Spot Messenger. They range around $10 or less.
Seen those. Looked like Otterboxes which are depth rated to 100 ft, but I didn't look. I'll try to look today as I have to go to WM. :(

Altho the Spot seems less desirable now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom