Do you carry basic safety equipment on dives? If not, why?

Do you carry safety equipment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife gets teased because she carries all four items above as well as a buddy lanyard, tank light, knife, reef hook and water marker dye. They call her the girl scout. But everyone hangs close to her when the boat takes it's time picking us up!

My wife gets teased because she carries all four items above as well as a buddy lanyard, tank light, knife, reef hook and water marker dye. They call her the girl scout. But everyone hangs close to her when the boat takes it's time picking us up!
Uh, huh. They may be cynical but they ain't stupid.

Ive carried an otter box in one of my unused back trim pouches and thought about carrying a pint of water in the other
... the water idea comes from a website that no longer exists that fostered the idea of a tank strapped pouch of survival gear, much like a tank weight, and called it the Palau Pouch

Honestly, I had none of the above on my last shore dive. I will likely get flamed but I just didn't see a need at the time.

Honestly, I had none of the above on my last shore dive. I will likely get flamed but I just didn't see a need at the time.

Your not going to get flamed by me... Your not my buddy so I am not depending on you and if or when I read about orca70 being lost at sea... At least we will all know you made a conscious decision not to carry the safety gear... Fewer tears to shed this way...!

Your comments are a semi flame and I understand. I was diving in an area I was very familiar with, in mild surf and current, and I am comfortable with my abilities. You are making an assumption that I am going to get lost at sea.

Your comments are a semi flame and I understand. I was diving in an area I was very familiar with, in mild surf and current, and I am comfortable with my abilities.

Not really but there are a dozen things that "could" go wrong and totally out of someones control... e.g. severe leg cramps, nasty riptide, incapacitated by a lion fish/jellyfish (the box jellyfish or the Portuguese Man of War)/stroke or such...

I do understand where your coming from however as I use to never carry a SMB or whistle while diving Bonaire... I will admit that this may still be the case if it was not for the fact that I can stow my SMB in a pocket between my back and backplate (Halcyon pocket)... On the other hand, I would never be without one diving North Carolina, Coz, and most if not all other Ocean dives...

You are making an assumption that I am going to get lost at sea.

And NO... I am definitely not making an assumption that you would get lost at sea... I never ever even looked at it that way!!!

Be safe, lee

ALWAYS...

minimum: a knife, EMT shears, reef hook, mirror, sausage w/30' line, dive alert, small slate, whistle, 16" SS wire stick/tank tapper/trigger fish defender, and (because of a recent post) a 12oz flask of fresh water.

for aggressive dive: add reel w/150' line, SMB, back up torch, and SS leatherman-style tool.

... basic stuff for a solo traveler, and sometimes solo diver, in isolated places. Tek training convinced me deco gear is a plus. Being handy with a sewing machine and tools, let me assemble it small, and keep the rig streamlined.

I always carry all of these, no reason not to!

Do you carry the basic safety equipment when you dive, especially ocean diving?

1. SMB (Surface Market Buoy)
2. Working Light with fresh batteries
3. Reflective Signaling Device (mirror)
4. Noise Signaling Device

If not, please tell us why?

Back
Top Bottom