Do you carry basic safety equipment on dives? If not, why?

Do you carry safety equipment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(2) SMB (Halcyon)
(2) MbSub lights (bungied on harness)
(1) signal mirror
(1) line cutting tool
(1) small blunt tipped SS dive knife
(1) Jon line
(1) Jotron (NATO approved) signal strobe mounted on left shoulder
(1) airhorn
(1) spare mask in harness pocket
(1) --still awaiting-- Nautilus Lifeline

Yes I carry all. Not mirror, but lights. And so should all divers. I know this sounds as dooms speak, but if ever lost at sea you would be extremely sorry. I always go with better safe than sorry. and what are you using the pockets for anyway. Come on guys!!

what depends on where im diving, in salt water i allways have a camelback of fresh water, no mirror but i allmost allways have a good light and multiple cutting tools. shears, knife, stainless gerber multitool

Here is a suggestion from my offshore sailing days. ACR FIREFLY PLUS STROBE FLASHLIGHT COMBO, 1916

The light is small, waterproof to 300+ feet, the strobe will operate for 10 hours and you can use it as a backup flashlight. They are fairly inexpensive, I am going to pick up a couple before my next dive trip. I can't find them in my leftover boating equipment.

Here is a suggestion from my offshore sailing days. ACR FIREFLY PLUS STROBE FLASHLIGHT COMBO, 1916

The light is small, waterproof to 300+ feet, the strobe will operate for 10 hours and you can use it as a backup flashlight. They are fairly inexpensive, I am going to pick up a couple before my next dive trip. I can't find them in my leftover boating equipment.

Looks like a good find for night or blue water divers for a backup or emergency locator.

Do you carry the basic safety equipment when you dive, especially ocean diving?

1. SMB (Surface Market Buoy)
2. Working Light with fresh batteries
3. Reflective Signaling Device (mirror)
4. Noise Signaling Device

If not, please tell us why?
No. Ignorance. I do have a whistle though.

I know this sounds as dooms speak, but if ever lost at sea you would be extremely sorry. I always go with better safe than sorry.

I just started diving 2 weeks ago. Didn't buy any equipment yet other than two safety-related items:

I bought one of those flashing signalling lights and I found a generic housing for my SPOT Satellite messenger which I normally use for hiking. It locates me via GPS and can call for rescue (assuming I am floating on the surface) via the Globalstar satellite network which covers a lot, but by no means all of the globe. They now make something similar for the Iridium network (more expensive) which has truly global coverage.

The generic enclosure I found for my SPOT is only rated for 100 feet though so I need to find a better solution ASAP.

Most of my diving is local lakes, in which case no.

On ocean dives I carry a DAN smb that has a pouch with a mirror, whistle, and glow stick. It's slightly bulky but worth it IMO.

Sent using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom