Every Dive Carry - what gear do you bring on every dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do always carry a back-up computer. Just one of my good old Palegic pucks on a wrist mount and attached to a D-ring. As mentioned, if my primary computer fails than my dive is over and I'm headed to the surface. Here in the PAC NW.....the vis can make it very difficult to control an ascent or perform a SS without access to basic depth data.. Even a basic analog depth gauge (which are basically free these days) is better than nothing...

XJNpyiK.jpg

I dived for many years without a computer. I can certainly dive with only one.
Of course. However, if your primary computer craps out on all but the last dive of the day, doing subsequent dives is a bit more complicated. If your dive was square AND you know your dive time, you can (theoretically) revert to tables. Most dives aren’t square though, so you’ll end up with less NDL time on the subsequent dive(s).

If my primary were to fail, I could continue with no problem since my backup went on the previous dives.

While doing a rescue course, I noted another benefit of a backup computer. My primary is on my right wrist. Mainly so I can operate my BC with my left and still see my computer. When doing shared air ascents, I found it easier to hold onto the other diver with my right hand and monitor the backup computer on my left wrist.

Of course. However, if your primary computer craps out on all but the last dive of the day, doing subsequent dives is a bit more complicated. If your dive was square AND you know your dive time, you can (theoretically) revert to tables. Most dives aren’t square though, so you’ll end up with less NDL time on the subsequent dive(s).

If my primary were to fail, I could continue with no problem since my backup went on the previous dives.

While doing a rescue course, I noted another benefit of a backup computer. My primary is on my right wrist. Mainly so I can operate my BC with my left and still see my computer. When doing shared air ascents, I found it easier to hold onto the other diver with my right hand and monitor the backup computer on my left wrist.
A lot of Southern California dives off boats are square. Offshore sites where there is a wreck or some debris, shelf rock etc. the ocean floor is pretty constant. All you would have to do is recreate your dive profiles the best you could from memory and go up a few pressure groups for safety and you could revert back to tables if you wanted.

dsmb, knife, light, 2x extra dive computer (apple watch ultra is one) , dive alert or rattler, maybe sheers depending on turtle spots, o2 kit, permits. pretty much the same thing if diving for fun but would bring redundant airsource or sidemount when i dive solo (tropical sidemount scooter diving is by far the funnest diving i do)

Dave

I'm all for redundancy of essential equipment, most notably breathing gases, but I believe it gets to a point where too much stuff is a hindrance and makes a dive less safe. Specific examples depend very much on the planned dive.

I do not trust line cutters alone. One of those failed me once as the thing I tried to cut was harder than the razor blade.
This one:
20220322_222822.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom