You're Lost At Sea!! What Signal Devices Do You Have To Use - and Why Not?

What Signal Devices Do You Have To Use - and Why Not? Choose All You Use

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd imagine any aviators would be pretty unhappy with anyone pointing lasers at them, even those little green pointers. Not to mention it's illegal in most countries (or at least industrialized ones).

Anyone considered carrying a small parafoil kite and a couple of hundred feet of Spectra line (thin, lightweight, and very strong)? Parafoils fold up very compact (no spars), fly well, and would be impervious to the water. Add a couple of long, reflective mylar tails, and your visibility from a distance increases dramatically (well, as long as there's wind).

If I carried the Power Sled 36, and the wind was headed towards shore, it'd drag me back to land. :) I have an older Parafoil 15, and in any kind of decent wind, it will literally pull me around. Kind of big to carry diving, though.

Natalie's Legs would definitely get attention.

Originally Posted by Thalassamania
Same laser (I believe) for $35.00 less.

these laser are about to be banned here in sydney because some total drop kicks are blinding pilots for fun with them - morons

these laser are about to be banned here in sydney because some total drop kicks are blinding pilots for fun with them - morons
Back to using a laser as a signal device, I think it would fail. As mentioned, you'd have to hit your target precisely, maybe bouncing it off of the cabin roof without blinding the pilot. Big strobe or bright dive light at night will work better I think...

Hehe, my LDS had to special order my Dive Alert when I got mine, never carried it before, and they tested it when they got it in much to the pain of their ears. People came over from the bar next door to see if there was a fire or something. :lol2: Now they all carry the one with the extra quaker for training students.

Anyone considered carrying a small parafoil kite and a couple of hundred feet of Spectra line (thin, lightweight, and very strong)? Parafoils fold up very compact (no spars), fly well, and would be impervious to the water. Add a couple of long, reflective mylar tails, and your visibility from a distance increases dramatically (well, as long as there's wind).

If I carried the Power Sled 36, and the wind was headed towards shore, it'd drag me back to land. :) I have an older Parafoil 15, and in any kind of decent wind, it will literally pull me around. Kind of big to carry diving, though.

Natalie's Legs would definitely get attention.
here you go ... Sky Alert Parafoil Rescue Kite
from this intersting site ... Landfall Navigation - Safety Equipment

A note on my search for a rescue strobe
I picked up one of these ... Ist LS-3 Strobe & LED Torch = because of the 3 battery, lasts 24hrs part , but it's not blindingly bright, sure the strobe is bright while it's a few feet away, but set it down and walk away a few feet and it's not "annoyingly bright" ... I want annoyingly bright on my rescue beacon :D
I think I'll take it back and get one of these two ...
Tektite Strobe 200 =
Tektite Strobe 300 =
because of the 30x or 150x brighter than others, claim

they are large (7.25" or 9.25") but I think that I can make a bungee mount on my BC for one like I did for my SMB

OH, BTW .. the people at Unrealfind are good folks, I've purchased stuff, been there and talked to the owners, and have seen therir operation

Yeah, the original idea goes back at least to the U.S. military. Through WWII and some years afterwards, life raft kits were equipped with a large box kite nicknamed "the Gibson Girl", which could be flown from the raft and would be visible above the waves for a long distance.

Into the Wind sells a comparably sized parafoil for significantly less, though several styles are available at different prices. The Flowform is supposed to be an excellent flyer, and I've seen larger ones at kite flies that were also being used as "heavy lifters".

On an interesting note, I read a magazine article some years ago about a man that used a large parafoil kite to pull a large kayak from California to Hawai'i. He tethered himself to the kayak, in case he capsized. He figured if he fell out of the kayak with the kite aloft, he would never be able to catch back up to it without the tether.

Not sure if this is the same guy, but the timeframe seems about right for the article I read.

Dive Alert
Whistle
SMB
Dye
Mirror
Strobe
TEC-40 Light

There is a post somewhere of signaling items recommended by the Coast Guard. That is where my list of must-haves derived. (My wife has no problem with my spending money on rescue/safety gear).

The other thing that I haven't seen is - how many actually let the boat crew know what they have with them so would-be rescuers know for what to look?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom