You're Lost At Sea!! What Signal Devices Do You Have To Use - and Why Not?

What Signal Devices Do You Have To Use - and Why Not? Choose All You Use

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seen those. Looked like Otterboxes which are depth rated to 100 ft, but I didn't look. I'll try to look today as I have to go to WM. :(

Altho the Spot seems less desirable now.

If you look at my comment earlier in the thread, I've used 2 otter boxes (myself & wife) to hold vhf radios for the past 3-4 years. We've had them to 130' and take them on every dive (about 150 dives). Never had a drop of water get in the box.

I've been thinking of getting one of those Dive Alert whistles. Is there much of a problem with accidentally signaling on the surface or underwater?

There is now a dive alert that works underwater and at the surface. You have a dial to set it for air or water. Works pretty well underwater just make sure of the dial setting before use.

I carry:

a safety sausage

a signal mirror - actually it's more useful than just a signal mirror - search for scubasight on ebay or see it at ScubaSight Dive Mirror - I was amazed to see how much more useful a simple bungie cord could make a mirror, and originally only bought it to have as a signal mirror (thought I'd keep it in my bc pocket) but I wore it on my wrist on my last set of dives and I used it enough that I plan to have it there on every dive from now on.

a green laser - also purchased on ebay - They claim it's the most powerful underwater laser available... they also claim it's a shark deterrent. I dunno 'bout deterrin' sharks, but it is a pretty powerful laser that might get you noticed in some situations. (and better than tank banging alone if you're separated from your buddy on a night dive) Search ebay for green laser scuba, or use the sellers check out page here: Ebay Payments Page

I don't currently carry a whistle, because since I was a kid I've had the ability to produce ear piercing whistles at will with no problems (not using any fingers in the mouth).
I guess I'll go ahead and get a storm whistle though, since they are small, light, cheap, and DandyDon says no other whistle compares. That way I'm good even if I get my teeth knocked out. (Thanks DandyDon!)

Now, after reading this thread (Thank you everyone else!) I'm off to do some research/comparison shopping for some type of radio and/or GPS device to use to signal for help.

Same laser (I believe) for $35.00 less. Link

Originally Posted by douglasvb
I've been thinking of getting one of those Dive Alert whistles. ......

the storm whistles are da bomb!!!!!

comparing them to the whistles that came with our bc's, the storm whistles blow all over 'em and i ended up buying 3 of them so hubby has one on his work bcd & his rebreather now

cheers

Storm whistles really are excellent.
However just like the BC compressed air driven ones they are just about inaudible over 100m away over the noise of wind, sea and boat engines.

the storm whistles are da bomb!!!!!

comparing them to the whistles that came with our bc's, the storm whistles blow all over 'em and i ended up buying 3 of them so hubby has one on his work bcd & his rebreather now

cheers

The Storm Whistle is the best you can blow without compressed air, but the Dive Alert will reach even further for $40 US. String is right that they have limitations, but they're a lot better than not giving your best effort...

On drift dives and offshore dive I usually carry a surface marker, whistle, and a PLB w/gps in a water proof aluminum container that is good for 160ft. thinkinf of adding a small vhf to the container. The container clips to the back side of my bc so it is out of the way when diving. Both the PLB and the container are made by McMurdo.

Same laser (I believe) for $35.00 less. Link

Thanks for posting that... so, it says it will go thru 5,000 ft of water...must be really clear water...anyone actually try one of these at night on the surface...can it be seen from "miles" away?

The problem with a laser is that the beam spread is so small, that you have to be very lucky to get the attention of someone far away, have to hit them in the eye so to speak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom