You're Lost At Sea!! What Signal Devices Do You Have To Use - and Why Not?

What Signal Devices Do You Have To Use - and Why Not? Choose All You Use

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Yeah, if you shout "Hey, Chicken Little" on a dive boat, I'll look up to see who wants what, but I don't get on a boat without these minimums...

1: Dive Alert Signaling Device, Fits All Standard Power Inflators (DA1)
AQUDA1.JPG

2: Storm Whistle $5.95 in case I don't have enough air to blow the Dive Alert - and no, other whistles do not compare...
whistle.jpg

3: See Me Safety Signal Tube, Accessories-Flags, Trident, See Me Safety Signal Tube or other SMB
JohnWithTube.jpg

4: 2 Dive Lights, Primary Dive Lights, Backup Lights, Tank Marker Scuba Lights, HID Lights even on day dives (3 on night dives) as not all rescues are accomplished the same day.
sl4.jpg
Mine are yellow; I hate black gear - so difficult to find in my black bag. :(

5: Signal Mirror, Accessories: Signaling, Trident, Signal Mirror
safesignal.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
and flares, smoke, dye, glowstick, strobe, safety sausage.

Yeah, if you shout "Hey, Chicken Little" on a dive boat, I'll look up to see who wants what, but I don't get on a boat without these minimums...

I've taken crap from people on boats for bringing two 9' SMBs and a strobe on recreational dives, but I couldn't care less and suspect I'd be "Mr. Popular" if the boat didn't show up.

Terry

Don, I mentioned your thread on what to carry the other day. Great insight. I'll link to this thread too.

(ok I'll start carrying a light on daytime ocean/Gr lake dives)

Damn! :mad: It was supposed to be a Public poll so the respective votes could be seen. The last one should have been "none of the above, I don't dive often" but I just couldn't type it.

little strobe light; dye (when diving far offshore). I have considered about 4oz fresh water, but don't know how to carry it conveniently!

I wouldn't mind being on a talk show, mainly for the money though because of the massive debt I am in at the moment. If I were to get lost at sea though I'd probably wait till summer and make sure I brought snacks with me.

little strobe light; dye (when diving far offshore). I have considered about 4oz fresh water, but don't know how to carry it conveniently!
4 oz water? That bottle would fit my BC pockets easily, but :confused: Oh well, just hydrate more before each dive.

All of the above except dive-alert. Sometimes bring a strobe. Also infrequently .. old cell phone (with gps) in a waterproof dry case and dye.

Last edited:
The instructor I did a Discover Scuba course with before I was certified told me to always carry a light in a pocket or clipped, A. if you want to look in a nook (or cranny) you can, B. If you're lost at night, you'll be easier to see. (He also said it's good to stuff in the mouth of a 'cuda or Moray eel if they get "frisky")

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom