Major Freak Out - What should I have done differently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would guess something in the neighborhood of 100 divers per day do Devil's Throat or Cathedral, with no special qualifications and very few incidents.
very few ≠ none and probably > negligible or infinitesimal. Risk = probablilty x consequence.

When the consequence of a fcuk-up is to find yourself stuck in a narrow, dark tunnel without a redundant air source, the probability has to be infinitesimally small to give an acceptable (to me) risk. Since the probability seems to be greater than infinitesimal, I'll pass on that particular dive, thank you very much.

And I would guess 50 times that number drive drunk every day with very few incidents but that doesn't make it any less foolhardy or dangerous. You can get away with very risky behaviour over and over again to the point where you can no longer see the risk but is always there ready to bite you in the ass.

Austin, TX makes about 10 DWI arrests every day. That risk is quite apparent.

---------- Post added August 31st, 2015 at 03:08 PM ----------

very few ≠ none and probably > negligible or infinitesimal. Risk = probablilty x consequence.

When the consequence of a fcuk-up is to find yourself stuck in a narrow, dark tunnel without a redundant air source, the probability has to be infinitesimally small to give an acceptable (to me) risk. Since the probability seems to be greater than infinitesimal, I'll pass on that particular dive, thank you very much.

It is a riskier dive than many in Cozumel but no one is forced to do it. I have done it before but pass now. Since many groups want very much to do that dive, I explain to the dive guide that my buddy and don't do swim-throughs any more but we are experienced at following bubble and rejoining the group when they exit. And we also pick up the reluctant divers.

While everyone needs to make their own choices, when you start limiting diving because of slightly elevated risks, where do you thing it should stop? Swim-throughs, below 60 ft for OW divers, AOW required for night dives?

Well, yes. But keep in mind that OW divers are taken to this site routinely, perhaps every day, by guides much like the OP's guide, and as far as I know, virtually nobody has gotten hurt.

Lorenzoid,

These are plaques in sweet commemoration of the divers who died in the Cueva del Agua. Their fins and parts of equipment are still seen in the cave.

nirēju plāksnes.jpg

While everyone needs to make their own choices, when you start limiting diving because of slightly elevated risks, where do you thing it should stop? Swim-throughs, below 60 ft for OW divers, AOW required for night dives?
Show me where I advocated limiting free choice, and I'll grant you a point. Until then, I reserve the right to consider certain diving practices to be batsh!t insane and to pass on dives I consider to be outside my personal safety envelope

Show me where I advocated limiting free choice, and I'll grant you a point. Until then, I reserve the right to consider certain diving practices to be batsh!t insane and to pass on dives I consider to be outside my personal safety envelope

My reference was to the global "you", not the pin the tail on the donkey "you".

My reference was to the global "you", not the pin the tail on the donkey "you".
I assumed that since your reply followed your quote of my post, you were using the pin the tail on the donkey "you". Since you weren't, I apologize for my ass-umption.

Lorenzoid,

These are plaques in sweet commemoration of the divers who died in the Cueva del Agua. Their fins and parts of equipment are still seen in the cave.

View attachment 215777

Since I have no knowledge of Cueva del Agua, I'll refrain from any comparison with Devil's Throat.

This brings up the whole question of where one is to draw the line between classifying something as a "swim-through" and classifying something as a "coral cavern" (or even "cave"), which has been discussed in previous SB threads. I know where I draw it, but that's a personal decision.

Since I have no knowledge of Cueva del Agua, I'll refrain from any comparison with Devil's Throat

And I don't have any knowledge of Devil's Throat... Generally, however, I trust the instruction I get in my courses, and it says that a "swimthrough" where daylight is present, is a cavern and the one where the daylight disapears is a cave. IMHO, there are procedures for cave diving that should be observed. I listed a number of dangers the OP encountered in his dive and they are not lifted by the mere fact that there have been few accidents in this particular place.

And I don't have any knowledge of Devil's Throat... Generally, however, I trust the instruction I get in my courses, and it says that a "swimthrough" where daylight is present, is a cavern and the one where the daylight disapears is a cave. IMHO, there are procedures for cave diving that should be observed. I listed a number of dangers the OP encountered in his dive and they are not lifted by the mere fact that there have been few accidents in this particular place.
My understanding of OWD instruction (PADI) differs materially from this. Requirements are not that daylight exists in the 'swim through', but (1) that there is natural light (2) that you can see the exit from the entrance and (3) total swimming distance from furthest penetration to surface is less than 130'. Under these rules Devil's Throat misses 2 of the 3 requirements (must pass all). Thus under PADI rules it is a cave not a cavern.In my recollection of Devil's throat: (1) there is natural light within the cave - primarily coming from small holes well above the main passage. To me those holes looked too small to pass through, though maybe someone smaller could if they abandoned their gear in the cave. (2) Passage goes down through a hole (small enough for single file - but not 'tight'), then bends to almost horizontal in larger room. Must go a little further to see exit - so maybe 1/3 of passage before exit is visible. (3) Deepest point ~130', clearly maximum possible CESA swim is more than 130'.To a cave diver (I'm not one) it may be relatively benign, but I'd expect them to classify it as a cave. That said I've been through it - like many others early in my diving when I truly had no business doing it. Now that I know better, I might do it again if I'm with a group doing it - BUT I wouldn't let either of my daughters do it and would discourage others from diving it (any but the most skilled group!). While I'd be willing to do the dive with a skilled group, worrying about others during a dive detracts from enjoying it - and if someone has an accident it can totally ruin my vacation. While there may not be many (if any) reported deaths or accidents involving this dive - I frequently read tales of people such as the OP have low air or worse (OOA) on this particular dive. On a dive like this, barring equipment failure, every single diver in a group should be able to complete the dive with at least 1000 psi left. I image the majority of tourists doing this dive cannot.

There are 2 small swim through-es at Bloody Bay wall, I believe Mixing-bowl,and they refer to the short one as the swim through for chickens. I pass on doing any of them. Swim through-es are, I guess, a change of pace to make the dives more fun. I think they are an unnecessary risk, especially if they are at a deeper depth. Typically I'll follow the bubble trail, and enjoy the light. I wouldn't even think about going through the aforementioned Cozumel swim through.

I'm a bigger person, 6'4" x somewhat heavy, and don't feel like getting wedged in a death tunnel. It's always the big guy that gets stuck.

You may be thinking of the chimney and "chicken chimney" at Randy's Gazebo, Bloody Bay wall, Little Cayman. The site is named for a lovely natural stone arch at about 100 feet down the wall. The chimney is a vertical passage that leads from the hard pan at about 35' in depth, about 30' from the edge of the wall, down about 60' to a 90 degree turn and becomes a horizontal passage out to the wall itself. It is fairly narrow, and you must descend inverted (and be able to clear your sinuses inverted). It exits at about 90' depth.

That makes it about a 60' inverted vertical descent, followed by a 30' horizontal passage to the wall. It can only be done one person at a time if for no other reason than all the bubbles ascending behind each diver, and is definately not wide enough for two. It is technically a cavern, but a line is impractical - there is only one way in or out. There is dim light throughout, as in Devil's Throat - which is not completely dark at any point, although it may seem very dark. Similarly, a line at DT is impractical. All other rules of cavern diving should still apply, and I definately use a long hose to dive it (I always use one now, even in open water).

Reef Divers - a very safe dive op, brings lots of people to Randy's Gazebo, and specifically and carefully describes the chimney. They use a whiteboard, and sketch it out. They specify the tight nature of the passage and what you must be comfortable with to dive it. Perhaps 20% of guests or less choose the chimney after the briefing. I'm 6'2" 220lbs - but this thing looks narrower than it is and I would never second guess anyone who chooses to simply drop over the edge to get to the Gazebo! On the other hand, it is a fun passage, and you pop out a little hole in the wall where sometimes the reef sharks hang out - then split as a diver emerges.

Neither the chimney at the Gazebo nor Devil's Throat is a cave, IMHO. DT warrants far more caution due to the depth, the possibility of strong currents, and the darkness (although not totally dark). The Good news - DT is not filled with silt and while things can get messy with bad kicking, will not eliminate visibility. It is a sand and rock bottom, IIRC. This may be one of the reasons that accidents there have been few - nearly everyone is advised to bring a light (or has one supplied to them for the dive). This was the biggest surprise, to me, in the OP's story - that she was not advised to bring or supplied with a light.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom