PADI & RNLI Sea Survival Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving Dubai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Stop! Before you think " Oh another PADI cousre to make money" don't!

This is one course (IMO) that many divers should take. The info in the course could save your life

This course has been developed in conjunction with the RNLI. For those outside the UK the RNLI (Royal National Lifeboat Institution) is THE charitably organisation responsible for all on and off shore rescues. They develop their own lifeboats and are crewed by volunteers - all experienced seafarers men and women. They work in conjunction with the UK coastguard, Royal Navy and Royal Air Force - and will be the people you will be grateful to see if you're lost at sea.

So this course while aimed at diving UK waters, I feel is a must for anyone diving in the ocean, whether it be the UK, NC or PNW or even a vacation diving in open seas

RNLI Diver Sea Survival course covers:

• Dive planning
    Assess for dive site suitability using tide tables, coastal charts and weather forecasts
    (Emphasize the importance of slack water).
    Assign buddy teams or dive teams (if more than 2). Have an agreed leader to ensure divers are
    logged in and out of the water.
    o If diving from a shore or with no surface support, ensure divers have informed an appropriate
    person of the planned dive, including the site location and expected time in and out of the water.
    Agree to send confirmation when divers have safely exited the water, and provide instructions
    on who to contact in the event of an emergency.
  • Dive preparationScuba Diving | RNLI Respect the Water
  • Personal responsibility to maintain fitness to dive.
  • Reference Safe Diving Practices Statement of Understanding.
  • Thoroughly check diving equipment for wear and tear or servicing requirements. Ensure equipment is suitable for the diving activity. o Wear appropriate exposure protection.
  • Carry additional emergency equipment to attract attention on the surface should the diver become lost at sea. (e.g. audible and visual signalling devices)
  • Navigation and safety equipment on dive boats
  • Emergency Oxygen Unit
  • First Aid Kit o Life Jackets
  • Emergency Flotation Devices
  • Marine Radio
  • Flags
  • Global Positioning System (GPS)
  • Visual Distress Signals (e.g. lights, light flares, smoke flare and mirrors)
  • diving in low-visibility conditions
  • how to deal with out-of-air emergencies
  • use of surface marker buoys (SMBs)
  • ways of calling for help
  • how to deal with an emergency on the surface.
  • Sound Signalling Devices (e.g. horns) o Emergency Water and Food
As well as
how to deal with out-of-air emergencies
use of surface marker buoys (SMBs)
ways of calling for help
how to deal with an emergency on the surface.

Mark Powell (Deco for Divers fame) presents the video on Dive planning.

RNLI Infor about the RNLI
Respect the Water - Course Info (not PADI)
Instructor Resources (inc videos for each section)

For the record, I'm not certified to teach this yet (need a certified CD to qualify me), all links were openly found on the web with a quick google search

I would take this course in a heartbeat. Problem is, don’t know who would be certified to teach it yet.

A local instructor and RNLI crew member teaches this course close by to me, so it’s definitely on my list of things to sign up for.

I would love to find someone who ran this course around wales

Oh brother, another PADI course to milk the diving public and for PADI to make loads of money!!

:p
Actually it's taught by BOTH PADI and BSAC. I'm sure if any other agencies were interested, the RNLI would offer it to them too

I had the RCAF Aircrew Sea Survival Course many years ago. Nothing quite like being dropped from the gantry on the upper deck to the water and then being towed at 6-10 knots behind the boat till you roll over on your back and stabilize enough to get out of the parachute harness. Once you are free, you were tossed a 1 man life raft and spent the rest of the day drifting alone in the water between Vancouver Island and the Mainland.

Given the wildlife that inhabits these waters, the part of the course when you are being dragged behind the boat is "affectionately" referred to as "Trolling for Orcas".

@Diving Dubai Are the videos in the link all of the content of the course or is there more comprehensive information for the course?
The course was developed by the RLNI in partnership with BSAC, but as they own the copyright and are always looking for Income the magority of material won’t be in the Public domain.

Back
Top Bottom