You're Lost At Sea!! What Signal Devices Do You Have To Use - and Why Not?

What Signal Devices Do You Have To Use - and Why Not? Choose All You Use

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm curious about this talk show malarky. A columnist in an English newspaper certainly had a few things to say a couple of weeks back. Any more on evidence that it was pre-planned ?

Diver magazine has a lot more information than Clarksons column. Their website is down atm and im not going to type it out from the magazine for copyright reasons etc.

EDIT:- Just realised the komodo dragon incident is not faked. The 2 missing from an Australian boat around a similar time is believed to have been deliberate. 2 separate incidents.

Anyway:

.. I have only a yellow one so that's what I use and here there is no concern with using it on a regular recreational dive

Always brief with the skipper, here and in a lot of other places in the world a yellow DSMB is accepted as the "im in trouble/i need gas" emergency bag so if you are going to use one then tell the skipper AND other divers onboard or else you'll find a drop tank and pissed off skipper when you surface.
I can think of a few people in trouble at a local quarry for sending up yellow without telling anyone and mobilising all the rescue personnel there because they forgot to tell anyone.

As a note its always worth briefing and discussing signalling equipment with the boat skipper before diving so he knows what to expect, you know what to expect and there's no confusion in the event of an incident.

But... really all that may not get you anywhere in a real emergency. An EPIRB is not that expensive when you consider all the money that you spent on gear. Certainly there is a non-trivial chance that you will need it on an ocean dive, no? What's that worth to you?
So just how expensive is a Epirb and how feasible on a dive emergency? Got links to one you like?

Here that is true with tech divers, and would be a standard "Need Gas/Trouble" signal, but not so much in recreational diving as most people have only one color SMB
.. I chose yellow one because it was the most visible in sea trials, but it's only 5ft and just plain yellow SMB/lift bag ... I am planning ongetting a taller one, SMB in day glow florescent yellow

So just how expensive is a Epirb and how feasible on a dive emergency? Got links to one you like?

Here's the one I like best with a little blurb on its capabilities. Although there are cheaper EPIRBs, the GPS capabilities of this one is worth the extra dough. The ACR ResQFix 406 is $520 and can be used while diving (in an OtterBox or similar depth capable container), 4 wheelin', backpacking, etc.

ACR ResQFix 406 GPS Personal Locator Beacon (unadvertised price)

It's as easy as pushing a button, and with an internal GPS receiver the ResQFix™ will acquire your GPS position and transmit it along with your personalized indentifier code through the COSPAS-SARSAT satellites instantly alerting Search and Rescue forces that you need help, immediately!

I believe you can get the Aquafix with internal GPS for less than $450. Not sure what the difference is between that and Resqfix.

EDIT: After looking around a little bit Resqfix is the newer model, 35% smaller and 25% lighter and supposedly has a more sensitive GPS - which is not really important for me since the GPS isn't that critical.

I tell ya, taking any of these electronics down during the dives strikes me as a bit much - but that would depend on where one was diving I suppose. The more remote the dive, the more likely one would be willing to strap on a 6-8" long box, maybe with some soft weight to reduce buoyancy?

Somewhere I got the idea that Pelican boxes were the best, but so many have mentioned Otterboxes that I finally looked around. Looks like Pelican is only rated to 50 ft while the Otter is to 100; is that right, or am I looking at the wrong boxes? I suppose the Pelicans are good for keeping sensitive electronics dry on a boat, but freezer quality zip-locks do that. :shakehead: Pelicans add crush protection for traveling and other activities, and the Otters add more depth possisbilities.
Here's the one I like best with a little blurb on its capabilities. Although there are cheaper EPIRBs, the GPS capabilities of this one is worth the extra dough. The ACR ResQFix 406 is $520 and can be used while diving (in an OtterBox or similar depth capable container), 4 wheelin', backpacking, etc.

ACR ResQFix 406 GPS Personal Locator Beacon (unadvertised price)

It's as easy as pushing a button, and with an internal GPS receiver the ResQFix™ will acquire your GPS position and transmit it along with your personalized indentifier code through the COSPAS-SARSAT satellites instantly alerting Search and Rescue forces that you need help, immediately!
Another thot is how much will most recreational divers consider spending on electronic beacons? It took me some time to talk myself into the $140 CO tester, in addition to my Nitrox tester and several other items that most divers don't bother with. How many are going to add $520 + shipping and Otterbox to their bag? Or even the cheaper SPOT? I suppose again it'd depend on the diver and where the diving is going to be. Worse for me, I just updated my Inland Marine policy on just my electronics and cameras. :11: Gawd, I hadn't realized I had that much invested just for this vacation diver.

Honestly, the SPOT would be a reach for me - and this time I sent my dive bud a missive telling him it's his turn. :D I suggested the $200+ including annual service would be good for him to loan to her elderly mom. But it's good to have the comparison here. I'm sure the Komodo Five would have liked to have had one of your $500+ gadgets - altho it kinda sounded like that group was an economy oriented Operator and customers.

The cost of the Spot adds up real quick though.. in 3 years you have already paid $450.

An EPIRB will make some of the other stuff redundant, going a long way towards addressing the space issue... the Streamer (or the dye packs, flares etc), the strobe, the signal mirror, maybe even the dive alert.. and if we are looking to save money that would be a savings of over $100. :D

The cost of the Spot adds up real quick though.. in 3 years you have already paid $450.

An EPIRB will make some of the other stuff redundant, going a long way towards addressing the space issue... the Streamer (or the dye packs, flares etc), the strobe, the signal mirror, maybe even the dive alert.. and if we are looking to save money that would be a savings of over $100. :D
Would the Epirb be something to use locally far from ocean, loan to mom for trips, etc? It's for ocean only right? And some things some people look at with "what will it cost to try it for a year?" in mind. I didn't see any used SPOTs on Ebay, so customers seem to be relatively happy and it might be easy to sale if one wanted to unload one later. Hey, here is the service for $76!

Besides, I'd still want the Dive Alert whistle and mirror anyway for immediate use before calling in all ships in sea. :11:
SMBs rock
A good start, yes - and I would think that only an idiot would dive the ocean without one, but on boarts that require every diver carry one - I have seen many loaned out.

2 DSMB's.
Dive-Alert
Light
Red pirate hat (as my Peeps call it)
BTW, that is me with the bellybutton ring. :)
Call me split tail.

The band is reflective.

Attachments

• scap.jpg
    scap.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 69
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom