Would you dive Vortex now????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have actually been toying with the idea of at least getting my cavern certification. Like I said before I don't have a real interest in caverns and caves, and respect those that do, but I feel it is training that would be beneficial to have.

I absolutely love Morrison, although on weekends it is kind of crazy. During the winter it is an awesome spot to go, and it's warmer than the gulf!

Cavern really challenges most people on their trim/buoyancy and hover skills. You'll become the envy of your dive buds (or the nightmare of your cavern instructor).

Let me know when you want to go, :D
I'll drive and I have a place we can stay!:eyebrow:

that is if you don't mind limiting yourself to intro level dive profiles.... :rofl3:
How about October 7-10? :D

Click here for details => :vortoberfest:

Last edited:
I would like to say that I do not want to go there until a body is recovered. I have discussed it with some recovery team guys, and if he was wedged in a tight spot, there would be a chance of one day him breaking free. I would not want to dive there if there is a chance of a body floating up, or coming out. I wouldn't dive again, but that is me. I know we dive places where people have died and there bodies might not have been recovered but it's still a disturbing thought. Still this is my opinion and I do not think any less of anyone who would. My stomach just can't handle that. Vortex was never a "fun" dive for me, just a training spot.

There's a grate in there. I don't see how a body can get past it. You're not overhead trained so you'll never see it if it does surface.

Did they ever find the bodies of those fishermen that disappeared in the gulf a couple of years ago? Just asking... :wink:

We dove vortex Sunday.......now I have an ear infection but that's my own fault for not using ear beer!

There's a grate in there. I don't see how a body can get past it. You're not overhead trained so you'll never see it if it does surface.

Did they ever find the bodies of those fishermen that disappeared in the gulf a couple of years ago? Just asking... :wink:

Or the diver that was lost in Pensacola in 2008, or the 11 that died on the Deepwater Horizon, or the multitude of others....

I know that bodies are lost at "sea" all the time never to be seen again. However, if there is a one in a million chance of me seeing it, then I would rather avoid it. Down the road there is a much prettier spring, which is also free to enter. I got into to diving because it was fun, and I teach because it is fun. I have not taken any cave courses because that is not my kind of diving. I am not part of any type of recovery team because it would ruin diving for me. I'm not saying that I would never dive Vortex ever but for right now there is way too much chaos, with the search efforts still underway. The only reason I go there is for teaching classes, and I want my students to have fun. I would not want to go there then be restricted due to new breaking evidence or whatever. I would rather plan to go to Morrison or stay in the gulf. That is all.

I didn't notice any chaos Sunday. In fact, by 1pm, we were the only divers left there and visibility had cleared up quite a bit. As far as I know, recovery efforts are over. While I do like Morrison, for most the classes I teach at Vortex, I'm there because my students only have 1 set of tanks and need access to quick fills. If I know for certain that we can make it through the day without topping off, then we usually head to Morrison.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom