Worthington HP 100s failed first hydro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...hmm, it appears the Worthington's may require the exact same type of 'round out' procedure that the older HP PSTs required...interesting!

What is the 'round out' procedure and how do we obtain it?

A small used compressor is probably cheaper than buying 2 new HP 100s.

Just saying.

Where can you buy a small compressor for $700US that can pump 3500PSI?

Factor in cost of operation (repairs, electricity, filters, etc..) and it is a lost cause. Having your own compressor is a great idea, but not one most people can justify economically.

I was wondering this as well. A $700 compressor-I would think they go for more then twice that amount.

What is the 'round out' procedure and how do we obtain it?

XS Scuba/Sea Pearls has a hydro test procedure in the back of their dealer manual. I have tried to find it online with no luck.
Basically they outline the procedures for hydrostatic testing of their hot dipped galvanized cylinders. The key point is that hot dipped galvanized cylinders MUST go through a system check or "round out" prior to the actual test.
"Follwing this procedure wil ensure accurate results and reduce the unnecessary rejections."
I am thinking that the op's tanks did not go through that procedure and that is the reason his cylinders where condemned.
My suggestion is that if you are going to take your tanks to the hydro test facility yourself ask them if they know about this procedure before leaving them there or the odds are you may pick up condemned tanks.

A pair of Worthington HP 100s are $1000 retail + 14% tax in Canada. Used 3.5 cfm compressors change hands fairly regularly for less than that. YMMV

VI

I have to tell you that this thread has now made me paranoid about having my Worthy HP100's hydrotested next year.

Better sell them to me when thier hydro runs out then. I'll even pick them up. Since they are probably going to fail thier test anyway, how about $100 a piece? :D

My bet is the guy doing the hydro test probably set the test up like any other steel cylinder that he tests rather than to the TEST Pressure stamped on the tank. Only saying because I've had this happen to me before and when I asked what pressure the hydro was done at it was higher than the TP stamped on the tank.

The guys doing the testing are human too, mistakes happen.

Would it be unreasonable to request the "round out" values be recorded
and the DOT numbers NOT be X'ed out in the event of a failed test ?

I have personally dealt with a hydro shop for over 20 years and have learned over time that steel tanks are always hydroed twice since they will always "fail" the first hydro due to expansion from the test. This is even the required procedure to hydro steel tanks, not the same as aluminum, so they obviously don't know what they were doing. This hydro place needs to look up the proper procedures on how to hydro specific tanks and learn how to do each one properly.
My shop also told me that very few steel tanks fail a hydro test, way fewer than aluminum, and some older steel 72's have been around for 30 years...
You can do some research on line and find out for yourself, then go and show them and get your $ back if they disagree and go elsewhere...

Back
Top Bottom